Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: attachment using sendmail
Operating Systems Solaris attachment using sendmail Post 93051 by vastare on Thursday 15th of December 2005 06:23:32 AM
Old 12-15-2005
attachment using sendmail

Hi,
I use the sendmail command to send automatic e-mail in my control programs,
but I'd like to know if there's a non interactive way to send an attachment,
like a small text file through sendmail command. I didn't find a way in the man, so anyone has already done it?.. give an example for the same thing

please help on this?

Thanks
vastare

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Sendmail (& attachment)

Hi, This is my first thread. Iam trying the following: OS: Sun Database: DB2, Informix, Oracle * Get the status of the database (using database command line options) * pipe to a text file * send mail of the text file to receiptents. TODO1: First step i tried to send a test message.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail attachment problem

Hello, i am sending email with following command. The problem is the attachment is displayed as inline text instead of a file attached to email. What should i do? I don't have chance to install new binaries to the server (SunOS) ( \ echo From: Sender ; \ echo Subject: Testing ; \... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yakari
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail attachment issue

Hi All,, After long time, might be this is nth time post on this forum for the same query...but i tried browsing for sometime and i did not get what i wanted :) i have following syntax in my shell scripting.. (cat filename.txt uuencode attachment attachment)|/usr/lib/sendmail -t... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail with attachment command line ?

hi.. Could somebody guide me how to send mail with attachment using sendmail command in unix ? Thank you, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail with attachment not working

dear all I have below function which send an email, but if I need to add an attachement it won't work instead it write some jibberish to body of the email begin 644 SIGN_OFF_AP_20120626.csv M4TE'3E]/1D9?4TA%150L351-7T1!5$4L0D]/2RQ35$%455,L5D%25%E012Q# %3U5.5`H` ` end function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send attachment through sendmail

Hi, I am trying to send log file of a job run in unix machince through sendmail.Though I am able to send the text but it is not sending as attachment. Could you please look into the code and let me know where I have gone wrong fdate=`date %Y%j`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending attachment using sendmail command

Send_Mail() { C_Date=`date +"%m/%d/%Y"` #Subject="MMDB Load Job Status" for i in `cat $Metafile` do if then email_address=`echo $i | cut -d":" -f2` /usr/lib/sendmail "$email_address" < $Email_File fi done } this is the send mail command i am using .please let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alok K Yadav
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail with attachment

Hello people, I only have sendmail and uuencode on a Oracle (RH) linux server. While: /usr/bin/uuencode awr.html awr.html | /usr/sbin/sendmail myemail@company.com Is working fine, the ideal for me is to do something like: echo "To: me@company.com" > /home/vasilis/msg.txt echo "Subject: DB... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with attachment in sendmail

Hi Folks I have below code, which is able to successfully send the content of the output file as html which is body, but i did tried uuencode & mailx -a for sending attachments but to no avail. cat - ${Output_File} <<EOF| /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t #From: ${MAILFROM} To: ${MAILTO} Subject:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
5 Replies
mailsetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      mailsetup(8)

NAME
mailsetup - Configures the host's mail system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mailsetup [-f file] OPTIONS
Specifies the name of the resulting configuration file. DESCRIPTION
The mailsetup script sets up the sendmail system on your host. You can use this script to do a quick setup where defaults are used or to do a more extensive setup. Alternatively, you can use the mailconfig command. Before you run the mailsetup script, your machine should be established on a local area network (LAN). If you want to use domain-based addressing, you must also configure the Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) service in your environment. Furthermore, if you want to dis- tribute your /var/adm/sendmail/aliases database (see aliases(4)) amongst the machines in your environment, you must configure the Network Information Service (NIS). See the Network Administration guide, bind_intro(7), and nis_intro(7) for more information about the BIND and NIS services. For a quick setup, the only information you are asked for is the name of the mail relay you are using and which users are considered local. For the more extensive setup, you are asked for the same information in addition to UUCP, DECnet, and UMC configuration information, mail aliases for your machine, local address formats, and other domain information. You must run the mailsetup script as superuser and with the system in multiuser mode. When you run mailsetup a menu is displayed giving you a choice of responses. You are then prompted for further information. If you do not use the -f option, before mailsetup exits, it asks if you wish to restart your mail with this new configuration. If you answer no, your configuration file is saved in /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.tmp and the install is aborted. If you answer yes, your /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf file is moved to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.orig, if no file by this name exists. If /var/adm/send- mail/sendmail.cf.orig exists, /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf is moved to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.n, where n is the version number (0 to 6 where 0 is the most recent). The new configuration file is then moved to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf and sendmail is restarted. If you use the -f option, the configuration file is saved with the file name specified and sendmail is not restarted. The mailsetup script produces the following three files in /var/adm/sendmail: sendmail.m4 hostname.m4 Makefile.cf.hostname You can fine tune your configuration by modifying the hostname.m4 file and issuing a make -f Makefile.cf.hostname command, which produces a hostname.cf file. You can then copy the hostname.cf file to sendmail.cf and restart sendmail using the /sbin/init.d/sendmail restart com- mand. Running mailsetup To set up your mail system using the mailsetup script, log in as root and complete the following steps: Invoke the mailsetup script. The script asks whether you want to do a quick setup. If you answer yes, the mailsetup script prompts you for the following information: The name of the general-purpose relay If you want to modify the list of aliases and users that are considered local If you want to complete the mail setup To do an advanced mail setup, answer no. The mailsetup script prompts you for the information you collected on the worksheet. When you finish providing the information, the mailsetup script asks if you want to complete the configuration. If you answer yes, the script moves the new sendmail.cf file to the system space, saves the old sendmail.cf file, and restarts sendmail. If you answer no, the script moves the new sendmail.cf file to /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf.tmp and exits. Running mailsetup in a TruCluster Server Cluster The following restrictions apply to setting up mail with the mailsetup script in a TruCluster Server cluster: You can run the mailsetup script on an entire cluster, but not focused on any one cluster member. If you try to run mailsetup with the -focus option, you will see the following error message: Mail can only be configured for the entire cluster. The cluster members and the cluster alias are added to the Cw macro, which defines the nicknames for the cluster. If you delete the cluster members or the cluster alias from the nicknames list via the mailsetup script, they are added again. If you do a quick setup with the mailsetup script, the cluster members and the cluster alias are automically added to the Cw macro (nicknames list) and you are not prompted to update the list of nicknames. Any file that includes the hostname string as part of the file name is changed to includecluster_alias. For example, hostname.m4 becomes cluster_alias.m4 and Makefile.cf.hostname becomes Makefile.cf.cluster_alias. FILES
Contains alias definitions for the sendmail program. Specifies the users who should receive mail on the local host. Specifies the send- mail configuration file. Specifies the mail setup product description for the configuration file. Specifies the backup configuration files. Specifies the original configuration file. Specifies the configuration file produced by mailsetup. Specifies the user config- urable file produced by mailsetup. In a TruCluster Server cluster, this file is named after the cluster alias, i.e., cluster_alias.m4. Specifies the Makefile file produced by mailsetup and used to make a hostname.cf file from the sendmail.cf and hostname.m4 files. In a Tru- Cluster Server cluster, this file is named after the cluster alias, i.e., Makefile.cf.cluster_alias. SEE ALSO
Commands: m4(1), , mailconfig(8), sendmail(8) Introductions: mail_intro(7), bind_intro(7), nis_intro(7) Network Administration mailsetup(8)