Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep for more than one pattern Post 92658 by frustrated1 on Tuesday 13th of December 2005 12:49:11 PM
Old 12-13-2005
Excellent - thank you very much! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep this pattern??

Hi All, I have a file like this, from this file I want to grep only this "package com.att.com;".... even though spaces are present at starting of the line. i.e., the o/p should ignore these two lines from the file : asdasdasd package ; ignore this line asdasdasd adsfkl90-9-0 package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep the pattern ?

how to grep the pattern ? How can I grep or find the pattern from this files in the directory. I have couple of ascii files too.I have to grep the binary files.Please assist me Thanks Francis (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faviji
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep for a pattern and display the content above that pattern

Hi, When we have a failure, sometimes we just step restart the job from the next step. Later when we open the log for analysis of the failure, it is becoming difficult to go to the failure part. For eg., if it is a 1000 line log, the failure may be at 500th line. so wat i want to do is, grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Grep pattern

I have to search from millions of lines of code of lines having following pattern: get_token , get_token For example: fn1(string.get_token(), string1.get_token()); Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Grep than scan line below grep pattern

Hello Colleagues, I have a file that looks like below. 6-12731913-12731913 9230760143480 410018547148230 20131002193434+0500 20131002193434+0500 ;20131002T161031000-10.50.241.21-21912131-1419034760, ver: 0 20131009 92220056296730 CC0P abc Core_Context_R1A SMS 6-12726796-12726796... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines before a pattern having some other pattern

Hi All, I am trying to fetch lines before a pattern, I got to know about -B flag in grep but we have to pass the number to get those lines before some pattern say (X), now what if I want to get line/s with some other pattern say (Y) before X pattern? How to get about it? please help. Input:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies
SAIL(6) 							   Games Manual 							   SAIL(6)

NAME
sail - multi-user wooden ships and iron men SYNOPSIS
sail [ -s [ -l ] ] [ -x ] [ -b ] [ num ] DESCRIPTION
Sail is a computer version of Avalon Hill's game of fighting sail originally developed by S. Craig Taylor. Players of Sail take command of an old fashioned Man of War and fight other players or the computer. They may re-enact one of the many historical sea battles recorded in the game, or they can choose a fictional battle. As a sea captain in the Sail Navy, the player has complete control over the workings of his ship. He must order every maneuver, change the set of his sails, and judge the right moment to let loose the terrible destruction of his broadsides. In addition to fighting the enemy, he must harness the powers of the wind and sea to make them work for him. The outcome of many battles during the age of sail was decided by the ability of one captain to hold the `weather gage.' The flags are: -s Print the names and ships of the top ten sailors. -l Show the login name. Only effective with -s. -x Play the first available ship instead of prompting for a choice. -b No bells. IMPLEMENTATION
Sail is really two programs in one. Each player starts up a process which runs his own ship. In addition, a driver process is forked (by the first player) to run the computer ships and take care of global bookkeeping. Because the driver must calculate moves for each ship it controls, the more ships the computer is playing, the slower the game will appear. If a player joins a game in progress, he will synchronize with the other players (a rather slow process for everyone), and then he may play along with the rest. To implement a multi-user game in Version 7 UNIX, which was the operating system Sail was first written under, the communicating processes must use a common temporary file as a place to read and write messages. In addition, a locking mechanism must be provided to ensure exclu- sive access to the shared file. For example, Sail uses a temporary file named /tmp/#sailsink.21 for scenario 21, and corresponding file names for the other scenarios. To provide exclusive access to the temporary file, Sail uses a technique stolen from an old game called "pubcaves" by Jeff Cohen. Processes do a busy wait in the loop for (n = 0; link(sync_file, sync_lock) 0 n 30; n++) sleep(2); until they are able to create a link to a file named "/tmp/#saillock.??". The "??" correspond to the scenario number of the game. Since UNIX guarantees that a link will point to only one file, the process that succeeds in linking will have exclusive access to the temporary file. Whether or not this really works is open to speculation. When ucbmiro was rebooted after a crash, the file system check program found 3 links between the Sail temporary file and its link file. CONSEQUENCES OF SEPARATE PLAYER AND DRIVER PROCESSES
When players do something of global interest, such as moving or firing, the driver must coordinate the action with the other ships in the game. For example, if a player wants to move in a certain direction, he writes a message into the temporary file requesting the driver to move his ship. Each ``turn,'' the driver reads all the messages sent from the players and decides what happened. It then writes back into the temporary file new values of variables, etc. The most noticeable effect this communication has on the game is the delay in moving. Suppose a player types a move for his ship and hits return. What happens then? The player process saves up messages to be written to the temporary file in a buffer. Every 7 seconds or so, the player process gets exclusive access to the temporary file and writes out its buffer to the file. The driver, running asynchronously, must read in the movement command, process it, and write out the results. This takes two exclusive accesses to the temporary file. Finally, when the player process gets around to doing another 7 second update, the results of the move are displayed on the screen. Hence, every movement requires four exclusive accesses to the temporary file (anywhere from 7 to 21 seconds depending upon asynchrony) before the player sees the results of his moves. In practice, the delays are not as annoying as they would appear. There is room for "pipelining" in the movement. After the player writes out a first movement message, a second movement command can then be issued. The first message will be in the temporary file waiting for the driver, and the second will be in the file buffer waiting to be written to the file. Thus, by always typing moves a turn ahead of the time, the player can sail around quite quickly. If the player types several movement commands between two 7 second updates, only the last movement command typed will be seen by the driver. Movement commands within the same update "overwrite" each other, in a sense. THE HISTORY OF SAIL
I wrote the first version of Sail on a PDP-11/70 in the fall of 1980. Needless to say, the code was horrendous, not portable in any sense of the word, and didn't work. The program was not very modular and had fseeks() and fwrites() every few lines. After a tremendous rewrite from the top down, I got the first working version up by 1981. There were several annoying bugs concerning firing broadsides and finding angles. Sail uses no floating point, by the way, so the direction routines are rather tricky. Ed Wang rewrote my angle() routine in 1981 to be more correct (although it still doesn't work perfectly), and he added code to let a player select which ship he wanted at the start of the game (instead of the first one available). Captain Happy (Craig Leres) is responsible for making Sail portable for the first time. This was no easy task, by the way. Constants like 2 and 10 were very frequent in the code. I also became famous for using "Riggle Memorial Structures" in Sail. Many of my structure refer- ences are so long that they run off the line printer page. Here is an example, if you promise not to laugh. specs[scene[flog.fgamenum].ship[flog.fshipnum].shipnum].pts Sail received its fourth and most thorough rewrite in the summer and fall of 1983. Ed Wang rewrote and modularized the code (a monumental feat) almost from scratch. Although he introduced many new bugs, the final result was very much cleaner and (?) faster. He added window movement commands and find ship commands. HISTORICAL INFO
Old Square Riggers were very maneuverable ships capable of intricate sailing. Their only disadvantage was an inability to sail very close to the wind. The design of a wooden ship allowed only for the guns to bear to the left and right sides. A few guns of small aspect (usu- ally 6 or 9 pounders) could point forward, but their effect was small compared to a 68 gun broadside of 24 or 32 pounders. The guns bear approximately like so: b---------------- ---0 up to a range of ten (for round shot) An interesting phenomenon occurred when a broadside was fired down the length of an enemy ship. The shot tended to bounce along the deck and did several times more damage. This phenomenon was called a rake. Because the bows of a ship are very strong and present a smaller target than the stern, a stern rake (firing from the stern to the bow) causes more damage than a bow rake. b 00 ---- Stern rake! a Most ships were equipped with carronades, which were very large, close range cannons. American ships from the revolution until the War of 1812 were almost entirely armed with carronades. The period of history covered in Sail is approximately from the 1770's until the end of Napoleonic France in 1815. There are many excel- lent books about the age of sail. My favorite author is Captain Frederick Marryat. More contemporary authors include C.S. Forester and Alexander Kent. Fighting ships came in several sizes classed by armament. The mainstays of any fleet were its "Ships of the Line", or "Line of Battle Ships". They were so named because these ships fought together in great lines. They were close enough for mutual support, yet every ship could fire both its broadsides. We get the modern words "ocean liner," or "liner," and "battleship" from "ship of the line." The most common size was the 74 gun two decked ship of the line. The two gun decks usually mounted 18 and 24 pounder guns. The pride of the fleet were the first rates. These were huge three decked ships of the line mounting 80 to 136 guns. The guns in the three tiers were usually 18, 24, and 32 pounders in that order from top to bottom. Various other ships came next. They were almost all "razees," or ships of the line with one deck sawed off. They mounted 40-64 guns and were a poor cross between a frigate and a line of battle ship. They neither had the speed of the former nor the firepower of the latter. Next came the "eyes of the fleet." Frigates came in many sizes mounting anywhere from 32 to 44 guns. They were very handy vessels. They could outsail anything bigger and outshoot anything smaller. Frigates didn't fight in lines of battle as the much bigger 74's did. Instead, they harassed the enemy's rear or captured crippled ships. They were much more useful in missions away from the fleet, such as cutting out expeditions or boat actions. They could hit hard and get away fast. Lastly, there were the corvettes, sloops, and brigs. These were smaller ships mounting typically fewer than 20 guns. A corvette was only slightly smaller than a frigate, so one might have up to 30 guns. Sloops were used for carrying dispatches or passengers. Brigs were something you built for land-locked lakes. SAIL PARTICULARS
Ships in Sail are represented by two characters. One character represents the bow of the ship, and the other represents the stern. Ships have nationalities and numbers. The first ship of a nationality is number 0, the second number 1, etc. Therefore, the first British ship in a game would be printed as "b0". The second Brit would be "b1", and the fifth Don would be "s4". Ships can set normal sails, called Battle Sails, or bend on extra canvas called Full Sails. A ship under full sail is a beautiful sight indeed, and it can move much faster than a ship under Battle Sails. The only trouble is, with full sails set, there is so much tension on sail and rigging that a well aimed round shot can burst a sail into ribbons where it would only cause a little hole in a loose sail. For this reason, rigging damage is doubled on a ship with full sails set. Don't let that discourage you from using full sails. I like to keep them up right into the heat of battle. A ship with full sails set has a capital letter for its nationality. E.g., a Frog, "f0", with full sails set would be printed as "F0". When a ship is battered into a listing hulk, the last man aboard "strikes the colors." This ceremony is the ship's formal surrender. The nationality character of a surrendered ship is printed as "!". E.g., the Frog of our last example would soon be "!0". A ship has a random chance of catching fire or sinking when it reaches the stage of listing hulk. A sinking ship has a "~" printed for its nationality, and a ship on fire and about to explode has a "#" printed. Captured ships become the nationality of the prize crew. Therefore, if an American ship captures a British ship, the British ship will have an "a" printed for its nationality. In addition, the ship number is changed to "","'", "(", ,")", "*", or "+" depending upon the original number, be it 0,1,2,3,4, or 5. E.g., the "b0" captured by an American becomes the "a". The "s4" captured by a Frog becomes the "f*". The ultimate example is, of course, an exploding Brit captured by an American: "#". MOVEMENT
Movement is the most confusing part of Sail to many. Ships can head in 8 directions: 0 0 0 b b b0 b b b 0b b 0 0 0 The stern of a ship moves when it turns. The bow remains stationary. Ships can always turn, regardless of the wind (unless they are becalmed). All ships drift when they lose headway. If a ship doesn't move forward at all for two turns, it will begin to drift. If a ship has begun to drift, then it must move forward before it turns, if it plans to do more than make a right or left turn, which is always possible. Movement commands to Sail are a string of forward moves and turns. An example is "l3". It will turn a ship left and then move it ahead 3 spaces. In the drawing above, the "b0" made 7 successive left turns. When Sail prompts you for a move, it prints three characters of import. E.g., move (7, 4): The first number is the maximum number of moves you can make, including turns. The second number is the maximum number of turns you can make. Between the numbers is sometimes printed a quote "'". If the quote is present, it means that your ship has been drifting, and you must move ahead to regain headway before you turn (see note above). Some of the possible moves for the example above are as follows: move (7, 4): 7 move (7, 4): 1 move (7, 4): d /* drift, or do nothing */ move (7, 4): 6r move (7, 4): 5r1 move (7, 4): 4r1r move (7, 4): l1r1r2 move (7, 4): 1r1r1r1 Because square riggers performed so poorly sailing into the wind, if at any point in a movement command you turn into the wind, the move- ment stops there. E.g., move (7, 4): l1l4 Movement Error; Helm: l1l Moreover, whenever you make a turn, your movement allowance drops to min(what's left, what you would have at the new attitude). In short, if you turn closer to the wind, you most likely won't be able to sail the full allowance printed in the "move" prompt. Old sailing captains had to keep an eye constantly on the wind. Captains in Sail are no different. A ship's ability to move depends on its attitude to the wind. The best angle possible is to have the wind off your quarter, that is, just off the stern. The direction rose on the side of the screen gives the possible movements for your ship at all positions to the wind. Battle sail speeds are given first, and full sail speeds are given in parenthesis. 0 1(2) |/ -^-3(6) /| | 4(7) 3(6) Pretend the bow of your ship (the "^") is pointing upward and the wind is blowing from the bottom to the top of the page. The numbers at the bottom "3(6)" will be your speed under battle or full sails in such a situation. If the wind is off your quarter, then you can move "4(7)". If the wind is off your beam, "3(6)". If the wind is off your bow, then you can only move "1(2)". Facing into the wind, you can't move at all. Ships facing into the wind were said to be "in irons". WINDSPEED AND DIRECTION
The windspeed and direction is displayed as a little weather vane on the side of the screen. The number in the middle of the vane indi- cates the wind speed, and the + to - indicates the wind direction. The wind blows from the + sign (high pressure) to the - sign (low pres- sure). E.g., | 3 + The wind speeds are 0 = becalmed, 1 = light breeze, 2 = moderate breeze, 3 = fresh breeze, 4 = strong breeze, 5 = gale, 6 = full gale, 7 = hurricane. If a hurricane shows up, all ships are destroyed. GRAPPLING AND FOULING
If two ships collide, they run the risk of becoming tangled together. This is called "fouling." Fouled ships are stuck together, and nei- ther can move. They can unfoul each other if they want to. Boarding parties can only be sent across to ships when the antagonists are either fouled or grappled. Ships can grapple each other by throwing grapnels into the rigging of the other. The number of fouls and grapples you have are displayed on the upper right of the screen. BOARDING
Boarding was a very costly venture in terms of human life. Boarding parties may be formed in Sail to either board an enemy ship or to defend your own ship against attack. Men organized as Defensive Boarding Parties fight twice as hard to save their ship as men left unor- ganized. The boarding strength of a crew depends upon its quality and upon the number of men sent. CREW QUALITY
The British seaman was world renowned for his sailing abilities. American sailors, however, were actually the best seamen in the world. Because the American Navy offered twice the wages of the Royal Navy, British seamen who liked the sea defected to America by the thousands. In Sail, crew quality is quantized into 5 energy levels. "Elite" crews can outshoot and outfight all other sailors. "Crack" crews are next. "Mundane" crews are average, and "Green" and "Mutinous" crews are below average. A good rule of thumb is that "Crack" or "Elite" crews get one extra hit per broadside compared to "Mundane" crews. Don't expect too much from "Green" crews. BROADSIDES
Your two broadsides may be loaded with four kinds of shot: grape, chain, round, and double. You have guns and carronades in both the port and starboard batteries. Carronades only have a range of two, so you have to get in close to be able to fire them. You have the choice of firing at the hull or rigging of another ship. If the range of the ship is greater than 6, then you may only shoot at the rigging. The types of shot and their advantages are: ROUND
Range of 10. Good for hull or rigging hits. DOUBLE
Range of 1. Extra good for hull or rigging hits. Double takes two turns to load. CHAIN
Range of 3. Excellent for tearing down rigging. Cannot damage hull or guns, though. GRAPE
Range of 1. Sometimes devastating against enemy crews. On the side of the screen is displayed some vital information about your ship: Load D! R! Hull 9 Crew 4 4 2 Guns 4 4 Carr 2 2 Rigg 5 5 5 5 "Load" shows what your port (left) and starboard (right) broadsides are loaded with. A "!" after the type of shot indicates that it is an initial broadside. Initial broadside were loaded with care before battle and before the decks ran red with blood. As a consequence, ini- tial broadsides are a little more effective than broadsides loaded later. A "*" after the type of shot indicates that the gun crews are still loading it, and you cannot fire yet. "Hull" shows how much hull you have left. "Crew" shows your three sections of crew. As your crew dies off, your ability to fire decreases. "Guns" and "Carr" show your port and starboard guns. As you lose guns, your ability to fire decreases. "Rigg" shows how much rigging you have on your 3 or 4 masts. As rigging is shot away, you lose mobility. EFFECTIVENESS OF FIRE
It is very dramatic when a ship fires its thunderous broadsides, but the mere opportunity to fire them does not guarantee any hits. Many factors influence the destructive force of a broadside. First of all, and the chief factor, is distance. It is harder to hit a ship at range ten than it is to hit one sloshing alongside. Next is raking. Raking fire, as mentioned before, can sometimes dismast a ship at range ten. Next, crew size and quality affects the damage done by a broadside. The number of guns firing also bears on the point, so to speak. Lastly, weather affects the accuracy of a broadside. If the seas are high (5 or 6), then the lower gunports of ships of the line can't even be opened to run out the guns. This gives frigates and other flush decked vessels an advantage in a storm. The scenario Pellew vs. The Droits de L'Homme takes advantage of this peculiar circumstance. REPAIRS
Repairs may be made to your Hull, Guns, and Rigging at the slow rate of two points per three turns. The message "Repairs Completed" will be printed if no more repairs can be made. PECULIARITIES OF COMPUTER SHIPS
Computer ships in Sail follow all the rules above with a few exceptions. Computer ships never repair damage. If they did, the players could never beat them. They play well enough as it is. As a consolation, the computer ships can fire double shot every turn. That fluke is a good reason to keep your distance. The Driver figures out the moves of the computer ships. It computes them with a typical A.I. dis- tance function and a depth first search to find the maximum "score." It seems to work fairly well, although I'll be the first to admit it isn't perfect. HOW TO PLAY
Commands are given to Sail by typing a single character. You will then be prompted for further input. A brief summary of the commands follows. COMMAND SUMMARY
'f' Fire broadsides if they bear 'l' Reload 'L' Unload broadsides (to change ammo) 'm' Move 'i' Print the closest ship 'I' Print all ships 'F' Find a particular ship or ships (e.g. "a?" for all Americans) 's' Send a message around the fleet 'b' Attempt to board an enemy ship 'B' Recall boarding parties 'c' Change set of sail 'r' Repair 'u' Attempt to unfoul 'g' Grapple/ungrapple 'v' Print version number of game '^L' Redraw screen 'Q' Quit 'C' Center your ship in the window 'U' Move window up 'D','N' Move window down 'H' Move window left 'J' Move window right 'S' Toggle window to follow your ship or stay where it is SCENARIOS
Here is a summary of the scenarios in Sail: Ranger vs. Drake: Wind from the N, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) Ranger 19 gun Sloop (crack crew) (7 pts) (b) Drake 17 gun Sloop (crack crew) (6 pts) The Battle of Flamborough Head: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. This is John Paul Jones' first famous battle. Aboard the Bonhomme Richard, he was able to overcome the Serapis's greater firepower by quickly boarding her. (a) Bonhomme Rich 42 gun Corvette (crack crew) (11 pts) (b) Serapis 44 gun Frigate (crack crew) (12 pts) Arbuthnot and Des Touches: Wind from the N, blowing a gale. (b) America 64 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (20 pts) (b) Befford 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (26 pts) (b) Adamant 50 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (17 pts) (b) London 98 gun 3 Decker SOL (crack crew) (28 pts) (b) Royal Oak 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (26 pts) (f) Neptune 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) (f) Duc de Bourgogne 80 gun 3 Decker SOL (average crew) (27 pts) (f) Conquerant 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) (f) Provence 64 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (18 pts) (f) Romulus 44 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (10 pts) Suffren and Hughes: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (b) Monmouth 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) (b) Hero 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (26 pts) (b) Isis 50 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (17 pts) (b) Superb 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (27 pts) (b) Burford 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) (f) Flamband 50 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (14 pts) (f) Annibal 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) (f) Severe 64 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (18 pts) (f) Brilliant 80 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (31 pts) (f) Sphinx 80 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (27 pts) Nymphe vs. Cleopatre: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (b) Nymphe 36 gun Frigate (crack crew) (11 pts) (f) Cleopatre 36 gun Frigate (average crew) (10 pts) Mars vs. Hercule: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (b) Mars 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (26 pts) (f) Hercule 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (23 pts) Ambuscade vs. Baionnaise: Wind from the N, blowing a fresh breeze. (b) Ambuscade 32 gun Frigate (average crew) (9 pts) (f) Baionnaise 24 gun Corvette (average crew) (9 pts) Constellation vs. Insurgent: Wind from the S, blowing a gale. (a) Constellation 38 gun Corvette (elite crew) (17 pts) (f) Insurgent 36 gun Corvette (average crew) (11 pts) Constellation vs. Vengeance: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) Constellation 38 gun Corvette (elite crew) (17 pts) (f) Vengeance 40 gun Frigate (average crew) (15 pts) The Battle of Lissa: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (b) Amphion 32 gun Frigate (elite crew) (13 pts) (b) Active 38 gun Frigate (elite crew) (18 pts) (b) Volage 22 gun Frigate (elite crew) (11 pts) (b) Cerberus 32 gun Frigate (elite crew) (13 pts) (f) Favorite 40 gun Frigate (average crew) (15 pts) (f) Flore 40 gun Frigate (average crew) (15 pts) (f) Danae 40 gun Frigate (crack crew) (17 pts) (f) Bellona 32 gun Frigate (green crew) (9 pts) (f) Corona 40 gun Frigate (green crew) (12 pts) (f) Carolina 32 gun Frigate (green crew) (7 pts) Constitution vs. Guerriere: Wind from the SW, blowing a gale. (a) Constitution 44 gun Corvette (elite crew) (24 pts) (b) Guerriere 38 gun Frigate (crack crew) (15 pts) United States vs. Macedonian: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) United States 44 gun Frigate (elite crew) (24 pts) (b) Macedonian 38 gun Frigate (crack crew) (16 pts) Constitution vs. Java: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) Constitution 44 gun Corvette (elite crew) (24 pts) (b) Java 38 gun Corvette (crack crew) (19 pts) Chesapeake vs. Shannon: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) Chesapeake 38 gun Frigate (average crew) (14 pts) (b) Shannon 38 gun Frigate (elite crew) (17 pts) The Battle of Lake Erie: Wind from the S, blowing a light breeze. (a) Lawrence 20 gun Sloop (crack crew) (9 pts) (a) Niagara 20 gun Sloop (elite crew) (12 pts) (b) Lady Prevost 13 gun Brig (crack crew) (5 pts) (b) Detroit 19 gun Sloop (crack crew) (7 pts) (b) Q. Charlotte 17 gun Sloop (crack crew) (6 pts) Wasp vs. Reindeer: Wind from the S, blowing a light breeze. (a) Wasp 20 gun Sloop (elite crew) (12 pts) (b) Reindeer 18 gun Sloop (elite crew) (9 pts) Constitution vs. Cyane and Levant: Wind from the S, blowing a moderate breeze. (a) Constitution 44 gun Corvette (elite crew) (24 pts) (b) Cyane 24 gun Sloop (crack crew) (11 pts) (b) Levant 20 gun Sloop (crack crew) (10 pts) Pellew vs. Droits de L'Homme: Wind from the N, blowing a gale. (b) Indefatigable 44 gun Frigate (elite crew) (14 pts) (b) Amazon 36 gun Frigate (crack crew) (14 pts) (f) Droits L'Hom 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) Algeciras: Wind from the SW, blowing a moderate breeze. (b) Caesar 80 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (31 pts) (b) Pompee 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (27 pts) (b) Spencer 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (26 pts) (b) Hannibal 98 gun 3 Decker SOL (crack crew) (28 pts) (s) Real-Carlos 112 gun 3 Decker SOL (green crew) (27 pts) (s) San Fernando 96 gun 3 Decker SOL (green crew) (24 pts) (s) Argonauta 80 gun Ship of the Line (green crew) (23 pts) (s) San Augustine 74 gun Ship of the Line (green crew) (20 pts) (f) Indomptable 80 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (27 pts) (f) Desaix 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) Lake Champlain: Wind from the N, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) Saratoga 26 gun Sloop (crack crew) (12 pts) (a) Eagle 20 gun Sloop (crack crew) (11 pts) (a) Ticonderoga 17 gun Sloop (crack crew) (9 pts) (a) Preble 7 gun Brig (crack crew) (4 pts) (b) Confiance 37 gun Frigate (crack crew) (14 pts) (b) Linnet 16 gun Sloop (elite crew) (10 pts) (b) Chubb 11 gun Brig (crack crew) (5 pts) Last Voyage of the USS President: Wind from the N, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) President 44 gun Frigate (elite crew) (24 pts) (b) Endymion 40 gun Frigate (crack crew) (17 pts) (b) Pomone 44 gun Frigate (crack crew) (20 pts) (b) Tenedos 38 gun Frigate (crack crew) (15 pts) Hornblower and the Natividad: Wind from the E, blowing a gale. A scenario for you Horny fans. Remember, he sank the Natividad against heavy odds and winds. Hint: don't try to board the Natividad, her crew is much bigger, albeit green. (b) Lydia 36 gun Frigate (elite crew) (13 pts) (s) Natividad 50 gun Ship of the Line (green crew) (14 pts) Curse of the Flying Dutchman: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. Just for fun, take the Piece of cake. (s) Piece of Cake 24 gun Corvette (average crew) (9 pts) (f) Flying Dutchy 120 gun 3 Decker SOL (elite crew) (43 pts) The South Pacific: Wind from the S, blowing a strong breeze. (a) USS Scurvy 136 gun 3 Decker SOL (mutinous crew) (27 pts) (b) HMS Tahiti 120 gun 3 Decker SOL (elite crew) (43 pts) (s) Australian 32 gun Frigate (average crew) (9 pts) (f) Bikini Atoll 7 gun Brig (crack crew) (4 pts) Hornblower and the battle of Rosas bay: Wind from the E, blowing a fresh breeze. The only battle Hornblower ever lost. He was able to dismast one ship and stern rake the others though. See if you can do as well. (b) Sutherland 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (26 pts) (f) Turenne 80 gun 3 Decker SOL (average crew) (27 pts) (f) Nightmare 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) (f) Paris 112 gun 3 Decker SOL (green crew) (27 pts) (f) Napoleon 74 gun Ship of the Line (green crew) (20 pts) Cape Horn: Wind from the NE, blowing a strong breeze. (a) Concord 80 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (27 pts) (a) Berkeley 98 gun 3 Decker SOL (crack crew) (28 pts) (b) Thames 120 gun 3 Decker SOL (elite crew) (43 pts) (s) Madrid 112 gun 3 Decker SOL (green crew) (27 pts) (f) Musket 80 gun 3 Decker SOL (average crew) (27 pts) New Orleans: Wind from the SE, blowing a fresh breeze. Watch that little Cypress go! (a) Alligator 120 gun 3 Decker SOL (elite crew) (43 pts) (b) Firefly 74 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (27 pts) (b) Cypress 44 gun Frigate (elite crew) (14 pts) Botany Bay: Wind from the N, blowing a fresh breeze. (b) Shark 64 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (18 pts) (f) Coral Snake 44 gun Corvette (elite crew) (24 pts) (f) Sea Lion 44 gun Frigate (elite crew) (24 pts) Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: Wind from the NW, blowing a fresh breeze. This one is dedicated to Richard Basehart and David Hedison. (a) Seaview 120 gun 3 Decker SOL (elite crew) (43 pts) (a) Flying Sub 40 gun Frigate (crack crew) (17 pts) (b) Mermaid 136 gun 3 Decker SOL (mutinous crew) (27 pts) (s) Giant Squid 112 gun 3 Decker SOL (green crew) (27 pts) Frigate Action: Wind from the E, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) Killdeer 40 gun Frigate (average crew) (15 pts) (b) Sandpiper 40 gun Frigate (average crew) (15 pts) (s) Curlew 38 gun Frigate (crack crew) (16 pts) The Battle of Midway: Wind from the E, blowing a moderate breeze. (a) Enterprise 80 gun Ship of the Line (crack crew) (31 pts) (a) Yorktown 80 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (27 pts) (a) Hornet 74 gun Ship of the Line (average crew) (24 pts) (j) Akagi 112 gun 3 Decker SOL (green crew) (27 pts) (j) Kaga 96 gun 3 Decker SOL (green crew) (24 pts) (j) Soryu 80 gun Ship of the Line (green crew) (23 pts) Star Trek: Wind from the S, blowing a fresh breeze. (a) Enterprise 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) (a) Yorktown 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) (a) Reliant 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) (a) Galileo 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) (k) Kobayashi Maru 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) (k) Klingon II 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) (o) Red Orion 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) (o) Blue Orion 450 gun Ship of the Line (elite crew) (75 pts) CONCLUSION
Sail has been a group effort. AUTHOR
Dave Riggle CO-AUTHOR Ed Wang REFITTING
Craig Leres CONSULTANTS
Chris Guthrie Captain Happy Horatio Nelson and many valiant others... REFERENCES
Wooden Ships Iron Men, by Avalon Hill Captain Horatio Hornblower Novels, (13 of them) by C.S. Forester Captain Richard Bolitho Novels, (12 of them) by Alexander Kent The Complete Works of Captain Frederick Marryat, (about 20) especially Mr. Midshipman Easy Peter Simple Jacob Faithful Japhet in Search of a Father Snarleyyow, or The Dog Fiend Frank Mildmay, or The Naval Officer BUGS
Probably a few, and please report them to "riggle@ernie.berkeley.edu" and "edward@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu" 4th Berkeley Distribution June 1, 1994 SAIL(6)