Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determine Linux Version.
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Determine Linux Version. Post 92625 by scotbuff on Tuesday 13th of December 2005 08:59:19 AM
Old 12-13-2005
Be Careful With /etc/issue

I would not count on /etc/issue. I would venture to guess that possibly you could apply a major update and /etc/issue never changes. The file /etc/issue is sort of like a message of the day type file. On a SuSe machine I updated from 8.2 to 9.1 a year or so ago, that type of file did not update and the login prompt greeted you with an 8.2 banner despite the machine having been updated.

Just something to think about. The release and version files did update in my case but I would say that there is a chance these could be wrong also. But the /etc/issue would be lowest on my list to check.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine Unix Version

Is there a trick to determine the exact version from Unix that one is working with? I would have expected to see it after logon, but all I get are some Copyright-messages... I know it's some HP-UX, but I would like to know the version-number Tnx in advance! Dave (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davegeysemans
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cmd to determine my OS version?

I'm looking for a generic (i.e. would be resident in most/all unix flavors) internal command for determining my OS and version. When I telnet to a box here @ work, I get none of that info and can't remember the equivalent of the DOS ver command; I know I used to know this! Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian.wilson
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine LOM version?

Is there a way I can determine the LOM version on a Sun machine without actually shutting the system down? I'm confused. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I see which version of Linux I am using ?

I want to know the distribution and version of linux that I am running: uname -r gives me: 2.4.20-8bldsmp uname -v gives me: #1 SMP Wed Sep 20 19:32:24 PDT 2006 Whats the distribution ? and whats the version ? thanks !!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

5. Linux

Why is there so many linux version?

Hi, Why is there many different Linux names and SO instead to be only one? What are the differences? Paul Weinstock (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Weinstock
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to know the version of Linux

Hi I have run the command uname -a and i got the below output Linux vm07 2.6.9-77.Emp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux i want know the version of Linux can i get it from above output if yes then what is it? is it 2.6.9-77.Emp? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
2 Replies

7. Linux

Linux Version of IE?

Is there a linux version of IE? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable Shell Script - Determine Which Version of Binary is Installed?

I currently have a shell script that utilizes the "Date" binary - this application is slightly different on OS X (BSD General Commmand) and Linux systems (gnu date). In particular, the version on OS X requires the following to get a date 14 days in the future "date -v+14d -u +%Y-%m-%d" where gnu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinjohnson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Linux to determine version of Windows

This is an odd question and I didn't really know what category it fits. I just installed Ubuntu 12.10. During the installation process, the screen informed me that Windows 7 was installed in a particular partition. I'm just wondering how this was accomplished. Using 'fdisk -l' will indicate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to determine share name of Linux server?

Hi, How to determine share name of Linux server ? OS version is RHL 6.5 Regards, Maddy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
11 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)