Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determine Linux Version.
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Determine Linux Version. Post 92610 by mbb on Tuesday 13th of December 2005 06:43:00 AM
Old 12-13-2005
Thanks all.

Here is another way from my system (but may not always be effective):

>cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)
Kernel \r on an \m

This is the banner which is displayed for the login getty.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine Unix Version

Is there a trick to determine the exact version from Unix that one is working with? I would have expected to see it after logon, but all I get are some Copyright-messages... I know it's some HP-UX, but I would like to know the version-number Tnx in advance! Dave (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davegeysemans
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cmd to determine my OS version?

I'm looking for a generic (i.e. would be resident in most/all unix flavors) internal command for determining my OS and version. When I telnet to a box here @ work, I get none of that info and can't remember the equivalent of the DOS ver command; I know I used to know this! Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian.wilson
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine LOM version?

Is there a way I can determine the LOM version on a Sun machine without actually shutting the system down? I'm confused. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I see which version of Linux I am using ?

I want to know the distribution and version of linux that I am running: uname -r gives me: 2.4.20-8bldsmp uname -v gives me: #1 SMP Wed Sep 20 19:32:24 PDT 2006 Whats the distribution ? and whats the version ? thanks !!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

5. Linux

Why is there so many linux version?

Hi, Why is there many different Linux names and SO instead to be only one? What are the differences? Paul Weinstock (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Weinstock
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to know the version of Linux

Hi I have run the command uname -a and i got the below output Linux vm07 2.6.9-77.Emp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux i want know the version of Linux can i get it from above output if yes then what is it? is it 2.6.9-77.Emp? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
2 Replies

7. Linux

Linux Version of IE?

Is there a linux version of IE? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable Shell Script - Determine Which Version of Binary is Installed?

I currently have a shell script that utilizes the "Date" binary - this application is slightly different on OS X (BSD General Commmand) and Linux systems (gnu date). In particular, the version on OS X requires the following to get a date 14 days in the future "date -v+14d -u +%Y-%m-%d" where gnu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinjohnson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Linux to determine version of Windows

This is an odd question and I didn't really know what category it fits. I just installed Ubuntu 12.10. During the installation process, the screen informed me that Windows 7 was installed in a particular partition. I'm just wondering how this was accomplished. Using 'fdisk -l' will indicate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to determine share name of Linux server?

Hi, How to determine share name of Linux server ? OS version is RHL 6.5 Regards, Maddy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
11 Replies
GETTY(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  GETTY(8)

NAME
getty - set terminal mode SYNOPSIS
getty [ type [ tty ] ] DESCRIPTION
Getty is usually invoked by init(8) to open and initialize the tty line, read a login name, and invoke login(1). getty attempts to adapt the system to the speed and type of terminal being used. The argument tty is the special device file in /dev to open for the terminal (e.g., ``ttyh0''). If there is no argument or the argument is ``-'', the tty line is assumed to be open as file descriptor 0. The type argument can be used to make getty treat the terminal line specially. This argument is used as an index into the gettytab(5) database, to determine the characteristics of the line. If there is no argument, or there is no such table, the default table is used. If there is no /etc/gettytab a set of system defaults is used. If indicated by the table located, getty will clear the terminal screen, print a banner heading, and prompt for a login name. Usually either the banner of the login prompt will include the system hostname. Then the user's name is read, a character at a time. If a null character is received, it is assumed to be the result of the user pushing the `break' (`interrupt') key. The speed is usually then changed and the `login:' is typed again; a second `break' changes the speed again and the `login:' is typed once more. Successive `break' characters cycle through the same standard set of speeds. The user's name is terminated by a new-line or carriage-return character. The latter results in the system being set to treat carriage returns appropriately (see tty(4)). The user's name is scanned to see if it contains any lower-case alphabetic characters; if not, and if the name is nonempty, the system is told to map any future upper-case characters into the corresponding lower-case characters. Finally, login is called with the user's name as an argument. Most of the default actions of getty can be circumvented, or modified, by a suitable gettytab table. Getty can be set to timeout after some interval, which will cause dial up lines to hang up if the login name is not entered reasonably quickly. DIAGNOSTICS
ttyxx: No such device or address. ttyxx: No such file or address. A terminal which is turned on in the ttys file cannot be opened, likely because the requisite lines are either not configured into the system, the associated device was not attached during boot-time system con- figuration, or the special file in /dev does not exist. FILES
/etc/gettytab SEE ALSO
gettytab(5), init(8), login(1), ioctl(2), tty(4), ttys(5) 4th Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 GETTY(8)