Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determine Linux Version.
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Determine Linux Version. Post 92526 by scotbuff on Monday 12th of December 2005 10:08:46 AM
Old 12-12-2005
SuSE too

This seems to be some sort of standard, all the SuSE versions we have, have the following file also.

cat /etc/SuSE-release

Good to see the other distributions have a similar file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine Unix Version

Is there a trick to determine the exact version from Unix that one is working with? I would have expected to see it after logon, but all I get are some Copyright-messages... I know it's some HP-UX, but I would like to know the version-number Tnx in advance! Dave (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davegeysemans
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cmd to determine my OS version?

I'm looking for a generic (i.e. would be resident in most/all unix flavors) internal command for determining my OS and version. When I telnet to a box here @ work, I get none of that info and can't remember the equivalent of the DOS ver command; I know I used to know this! Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian.wilson
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine LOM version?

Is there a way I can determine the LOM version on a Sun machine without actually shutting the system down? I'm confused. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I see which version of Linux I am using ?

I want to know the distribution and version of linux that I am running: uname -r gives me: 2.4.20-8bldsmp uname -v gives me: #1 SMP Wed Sep 20 19:32:24 PDT 2006 Whats the distribution ? and whats the version ? thanks !!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

5. Linux

Why is there so many linux version?

Hi, Why is there many different Linux names and SO instead to be only one? What are the differences? Paul Weinstock (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Weinstock
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to know the version of Linux

Hi I have run the command uname -a and i got the below output Linux vm07 2.6.9-77.Emp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux i want know the version of Linux can i get it from above output if yes then what is it? is it 2.6.9-77.Emp? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
2 Replies

7. Linux

Linux Version of IE?

Is there a linux version of IE? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable Shell Script - Determine Which Version of Binary is Installed?

I currently have a shell script that utilizes the "Date" binary - this application is slightly different on OS X (BSD General Commmand) and Linux systems (gnu date). In particular, the version on OS X requires the following to get a date 14 days in the future "date -v+14d -u +%Y-%m-%d" where gnu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinjohnson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Linux to determine version of Windows

This is an odd question and I didn't really know what category it fits. I just installed Ubuntu 12.10. During the installation process, the screen informed me that Windows 7 was installed in a particular partition. I'm just wondering how this was accomplished. Using 'fdisk -l' will indicate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to determine share name of Linux server?

Hi, How to determine share name of Linux server ? OS version is RHL 6.5 Regards, Maddy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
11 Replies
FSG(1)									FSG								    FSG(1)

NAME
FSG - manual page for FSG lsb_release v2.0-SuSE SYNOPSIS
lsb_release [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
FSG lsb_release v2.0-SuSE prints certain LSB (Linux Standard Base) and Distribution information. With no OPTION specified defaults to -v. OPTIONS
-v, --version Display the version of the LSB specification against which the distribution is compliant. -i, --id Display the string id of the distributor. -d, --description Display the single line text description of the distribution. -r, --release Display the release number of the distribution. -c, --codename Display the codename according to the distribution release. -a, --all Display all of the above information. -s, --short Use short output format for information requested by other options (or version if none). -h, --help Display this message. FILES
If the installation is LSB compliant, the "/etc/lsb-release" file should contain the LSB_VERSION field. The value of the field should be a colon separated list of supported module versions indicating the LSB specification modules to which the installation is compliant. If the installation is not compliant, the above field should not be present. Optional fields are DISTRIB_ID, DISTRIB_RELEASE, DISTRIB_CODENAME, DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION and can be used to override information which is parsed from the "/etc/distrib-release" file. If the "/etc/lsb-release.d" directory exists, it is searched for filenames which are taken as additional module-version strings to add to LSB_VERSION. The "/etc/distrib-release" file contains a description line which is parsed to get information (especially on currently non-LSB compliant systems). The required line style is: "Distributor release x.x (Codename)" Where Distributor can be a couple of words, but then concatenated (i.e. Linux Foo BarLinux Linux -> FooBarLinux), x.x starts with a digit followed by any non-blank characters, Codename will also be concatenated (blanks cleanup only). release may not be used as a keyword in DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION if you don't want to override "/etc/distrib-release" data. Notice: To support the Debian distributions' lack of information (see "/etc/debian_version" file) some have been directly added into the lsb_release script. EXAMPLES
If the "/etc/lsb-release" file contains: LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-ia64:core-2.0-noarch" DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="I enjoy using my distrib" and the "/etc/lsb-release.d" directory contains: graphics-2.0-ia64 graphics-2.0-noarch and the "/etc/foobar-release" file contains: My Linux Distrib release 1.0RC4 (TryIt) Then the results of various options will be: $ ./lsb_release --all LSB Version: core-2.0-ia64:core-2.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-ia64:graphics-2.0-noarch Distributor ID: MyDistrib Description: I enjoy using my distrib Release: 1.0RC4 Codename: TryIt $ ./lsb_release -a -s 1.0 MyDistrib "I enjoy using my distrib" 1.0RC4 TryIt If the "/etc/lsb-release" file is absent (indicating this is not an LSB compliant distribution), the result will be: $ ./lsb_release -a LSB Version: n/a Distributor ID: MyDistrib Description: My Linux Distrib release 1.0RC4 (TryIt) Release: 1.0RC4 Codename: TryIt REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.linuxbase.org. Please include a complete, self contained example that will allow the bug to be reproduced, and say which version of lsb_release you are using. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000, 2002, 2004 Free Standards Group, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Originally written by Dominique MASSONIE. FSG lsb_release v2.0-SuSE July 2010 FSG(1)