Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read xml file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read xml file Post 92448 by vino on Sunday 11th of December 2005 11:20:29 PM
Old 12-12-2005
What are records for you ? All the data that appear between the tags ?

If it is, this sed will do it.

Code:
sed -n -e 's_.*>\(.*\)<.*_\1_p' input.xml > record.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read elements of a xml file??????

Hi, What is a good way to read elements of an xml file? i did try xmllint it doesnt provide a function to output values of a tree. In the below example when i specify from Family2 I need the name of the father then the output should be DAVE. Appreciate any help provided in this regards. Many... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read block of lines from xml file

Hi I am new to this forum. I have few XML files and from each xml file I want to copy some specific 50 no of lines and copy them to some other file. how to do that? pls help.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritam1980
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data in XML file

Hello Everybody, I have a question on reading the data from XML file through KSH shell script. In the below file I need to collect the patient control no and its respective insured id. I need to have pair of these values in single line separated by some special character, so that I could use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swame_sp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write to xml file

hi i am quite new to shell scripting and need help in reading and writing in xml file i have an xml file with format: <main> <store> <name>ABC</name> <flag>0</flag> <size>123<size> </store> <store> <name>DEF</name> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to read XML file

Dear All, I have one log file and it contains lot of XML as below. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murtujak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on awk to read xml file

Hello, I have a xml file as shown below. I want to parse the file and store data in variables. xml file looks like: <TEST NAME="DataBaseurl">jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:ora10</TEST> <TEST NAME="Databaseuser">Pradeep</TEST> ...... and many other such lines i want to read this file and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read a flat file containing XML data

I have a file something like this:aaaa.xml content of the file is 0,<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <storeInformation xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <s> <BRANCH_NO>3061</BRANCH_NO> <BRANCH_NAME>GREEN EXPRESS</BRANCH_NAME> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file excluding XML in it

Hi , I have a file like below.I want all the content in a single line excluding the XML.How can i proceed? t=21 y=23 rg=xyz ..... <xmlstarts> . . <xmlends> lk=99 lo=09 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to read XML file

Hi unix Gurus, I am really new to Unix Scripting. Please help me to create a shell script which reads the xml file and from that i need to fetch a particular information. For example <SOURCE BUSINESSNAME ="" DATABASETYPE ="Teradata" DBDNAME ="DWPROD3" DESCRIPTION ="" NAME... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmilePlease
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to read an xml file through shell script?

Hey , can we read an xml file and make changes in it through shell script. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
4 Replies
XML_PP(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						XML_PP(1p)

NAME
xml_pp - xml pretty-printer SYNOPSYS
xml_pp [options] [<files>] DESCRIPTION
XML pretty printer using XML::Twig OPTIONS
-i[<extension>] edits the file(s) in place, if an extension is provided (no space between "-i" and the extension) then the original file is backed-up with that extension The rules for the extension are the same as Perl's (see perldoc perlrun): if the extension includes no "*" then it is appended to the original file name, If the extension does contain one or more "*" characters, then each "*" is replaced with the current filename. -s <style> the style to use for pretty printing: none, nsgmls, nice, indented, record, or record_c (see XML::Twig docs for the exact description of those styles), 'indented' by default -p <tag(s)> preserves white spaces in tags. You can use several "-p" options or quote the tags if you need more than one -e <encoding> use XML::Twig output_encoding (based on Text::Iconv or Unicode::Map8 and Unicode::String) to set the output encoding. By default the original encoding is preserved. If this option is used the XML declaration is updated (and created if there was none). Make sure that the encoding is supported by the parser you use if you want to be able to process the pretty_printed file (XML::Parser does not support 'latin1' for example, you have to use 'iso-8859-1') -l loads the documents in memory instead of outputing them as they are being parsed. This prevents a bug (see BUGS) but uses more memory -f <file> read the list of files to process from <file>, one per line -v verbose (list the current file being processed) -- stop argument processing (to process files that start with -) -h display help EXAMPLES
xml_pp foo.xml > foo_pp.xml # pretty print foo.xml xml_pp < foo.xml > foo_pp.xml # pretty print from standard input xml_pp -v -i.bak *.xml # pretty print .xml files, with backups xml_pp -v -i'orig_*' *.xml # backups are named orig_<filename> xml_pp -i -p pre foo.xhtml # preserve spaces in pre tags xml_pp -i.bak -p 'pre code' foo.xml # preserve spaces in pre and code tags xml_pp -i.bak -p pre -p code foo.xml # same xml_pp -i -s record mydb_export.xml # pretty print using the record style xml_pp -e utf8 -i foo.xml # output will be in utf8 xml_pp -e iso-8859-1 -i foo.xml # output will be in iso-8859-1 xml_pp -v -i.bak -f lof # pretty print in place files from lof xml_pp -- -i.xml # pretty print the -i.xml file xml_pp -l foo.xml # loads the entire file in memory # before pretty printing it xml_pp -h # display help BUGS
Elements with mixed content that start with an embedded element get an extra <elt><b>b</b>toto<b>bold</b></elt> will be output as <elt> <b>b</b>toto<b>bold</b></elt> Using the "-l" option solves this bug (but uses more memory) TODO
update XML::Twig to use Encode with perl 5.8.0 AUTHOR
Michel Rodriguez <mirod@xmltwig.com> perl v5.12.4 2011-05-18 XML_PP(1p)