Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script for Creating Directory with name as system date Post 92006 by aarora_98 on Wednesday 7th of December 2005 06:30:42 AM
Old 12-07-2005
Re: Shell Scripting for creating dir with system date...

Hi,

I have tried using

Today='date +%m%d%Y'
set
mkdir $today

But its not working. I am working on telnet. Every time it is creating directory with name date +%m%d%Y .. Plz tell me what should i do.

Thanks
Aru

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to selectively tar directory based on date

hye everybody :) , i'm new to the scripting world.. hope you guys can help me out with this one.. i'm trying to identify any directory under /tmp/saya that is created more than one day from the current date.. e.g, today is March 14, so any directory that has time stamp March 13 backwards, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a user defined date value in the DATE format itself using shell script?

I need to increment a date value through shell script. Input value consist of start date and end date in DATE format of unix. For eg. I need increment a date value of 1/1/09 to 31/12/09 i.e for a whole yr. The output must look like 1/1/09 2/2/09 . . . 31/1/09 . . 1/2/09 . 28/2/09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunil087
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a directory if its non-existent within a script

Hi, is there a way to create a directory when its non-existent when trying to move files to this particular folder? Thanks much. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
7 Replies

5. Programming

Script for creating a directory & move the .tif files in it.

Hi Team, I have thousands of TIF files which are converted from PDF. Below is a sample of it. LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320001.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320002.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320003.tif LH9411_ANGENIAHUTCHINSON_2012041812102510250001.tif... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
9 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here is what I am supposed to do, word for word from my assignment page: 1. Create/modify and print a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a directory based on date

I want to create a directory based on date. I do not have date -d command. What I do have is: either use "date" command to get current date or DATE1=$(perl -e 'print scalar(localtime(time - 1 )), "\n";' |awk '{print $2,$3,$5}') |awk '{print $3}'can be modified to produce the desired year.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

Can someone help me with the code wherein there is a file f1.txt with different column and 34 column have expiry date and I need to get that and compare with system date and if expiry date is <system date remove those rows and other rows should be moved to new file f2.txt . I don't want to delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuti
2 Replies

9. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

I m working on shell scripting and I m stuck where in my .txt file there is column as expiry date and I need to compare that date with system date and need to remove all the rows where expiry date is less than system date and create a new .txt with update. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stuti
1 Replies

10. Linux

How to calculate the quarter end date according to the current date in shell script?

Hi, My question is how to calculate the quarter end date according to the current date in shell script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya_1234
2 Replies
MKDIRAT(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MKDIRAT(2)

NAME
mkdirat - create a directory relative to a directory file descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <fcntl.h> /* Definition of AT_* constants */ #include <sys/stat.h> int mkdirat(int dirfd, const char *pathname, mode_t mode); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): mkdirat(): Since glibc 2.10: _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L Before glibc 2.10: _ATFILE_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The mkdirat() system call operates in exactly the same way as mkdir(2), except for the differences described in this manual page. If the pathname given in pathname is relative, then it is interpreted relative to the directory referred to by the file descriptor dirfd (rather than relative to the current working directory of the calling process, as is done by mkdir(2) for a relative pathname). If pathname is relative and dirfd is the special value AT_FDCWD, then pathname is interpreted relative to the current working directory of the calling process (like mkdir(2)). If pathname is absolute, then dirfd is ignored. RETURN VALUE
On success, mkdirat() returns 0. On error, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The same errors that occur for mkdir(2) can also occur for mkdirat(). The following additional errors can occur for mkdirat(): EBADF dirfd is not a valid file descriptor. ENOTDIR pathname is relative and dirfd is a file descriptor referring to a file other than a directory. VERSIONS
mkdirat() was added to Linux in kernel 2.6.16. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
See openat(2) for an explanation of the need for mkdirat(). SEE ALSO
mkdir(2), openat(2), path_resolution(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-12-13 MKDIRAT(2)