Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to call .profile in cron? Post 91674 by Cameron on Sunday 4th of December 2005 08:13:39 PM
Old 12-04-2005
For the scripts that I've written, I execute the .profile within the script - not in cron.

hence, in the script ${SCRIPTS}/backup_mysql.sh, you would see ...
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
#- Ensure User Environment Set -#
. ${HOME}/.profile
[rest of script]

Hope that's of some help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Solaris

cron .profile

The cronusers .profile doesn't seem to get call when running things in the cron. What am I doing wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Schoey
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help: How to Call SSH Trust from Cron job.

Hi All, I am tring to excute a SSH trust command from a script which is invoked by crontab. Details: Crontab file contains the following line: 15 00 * * * /users/dummy_user/dummy_script1.sh dummy_script1.sh contains the following line: SSH -1 server_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman82
4 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call .profile in perl script

Hello Gurus Can anyone please let me know how to call .profle file in perl script When I am calling the .profile file its giving error Shall I create unix script which has .profile command and call perl script internally (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can we call crontab -e into .profile?

Hi All, I have a doubt that can we call under whatever scripts we mention in crontab -e into .profile . Because every weekend my server is going to restart so, my doubt whether crontab -e will automatically run my scripts or manually we have to save the crontab -e again? If that crontab... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
3 Replies

8. AIX

Commands to call script work from command line but not from Cron entry

My first post evidently did not materialize so I posted it again: Runnning a cron job every 5 mins to send data files to a state facility. My original cron entry at worked fine: 01,06,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /home/sftpuser/stateinoc-from-appname.ksh Somewhere I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i call aliases from my .profile?

Hello all, Please my shell is ksh. I created .profile such that users can pick environments they want to use: echo Select your Environment!! echo " 1. Nigeria DEV" echo " 2. UEMOA DEV" echo " 3. CEMOA DEV" echo "Make your choice : \c" read choice if then ... fi if then (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mofaloks
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attemp to call the .profile

i have this line of code on my script #!/bin/sh #enable the environment variable thru profile . .profile when i run the script it was unable to find the .profile sh ChgPwd.sh ChgPwd.sh: line 4: .: .profile: file not found the file .profile exists ls -altr .profile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)