Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to call .profile in cron? Post 91636 by grahamb on Sunday 4th of December 2005 09:11:30 AM
Old 12-04-2005
Including .profile: an example

Hi

Here is a line from my crontab:
Code:
10 4 * * * . ~/.profile; ${SCRIPTS}/backup_mysql.sh >> ${BACKUPS_LOG}/${HOSTNAME}_mysql_v${VERS}.script.log 2>&1

Assume each crontab command line generates a new shell. The ". ~/.profile;" command string: "dot space <...>", populates the environment variables for the new shell. The variables - in this case - are specific to the USER. They are called from the users home directory, etc.

The ". ~/.profile; " command string must be on the same crontab line, separated with ";" - a semi-colon. Do the same for EACH crontab command line.

Hope this is helpful!

Regards
GrahamB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Solaris

cron .profile

The cronusers .profile doesn't seem to get call when running things in the cron. What am I doing wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Schoey
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help: How to Call SSH Trust from Cron job.

Hi All, I am tring to excute a SSH trust command from a script which is invoked by crontab. Details: Crontab file contains the following line: 15 00 * * * /users/dummy_user/dummy_script1.sh dummy_script1.sh contains the following line: SSH -1 server_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman82
4 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call .profile in perl script

Hello Gurus Can anyone please let me know how to call .profle file in perl script When I am calling the .profile file its giving error Shall I create unix script which has .profile command and call perl script internally (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can we call crontab -e into .profile?

Hi All, I have a doubt that can we call under whatever scripts we mention in crontab -e into .profile . Because every weekend my server is going to restart so, my doubt whether crontab -e will automatically run my scripts or manually we have to save the crontab -e again? If that crontab... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
3 Replies

8. AIX

Commands to call script work from command line but not from Cron entry

My first post evidently did not materialize so I posted it again: Runnning a cron job every 5 mins to send data files to a state facility. My original cron entry at worked fine: 01,06,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /home/sftpuser/stateinoc-from-appname.ksh Somewhere I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i call aliases from my .profile?

Hello all, Please my shell is ksh. I created .profile such that users can pick environments they want to use: echo Select your Environment!! echo " 1. Nigeria DEV" echo " 2. UEMOA DEV" echo " 3. CEMOA DEV" echo "Make your choice : \c" read choice if then ... fi if then (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mofaloks
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attemp to call the .profile

i have this line of code on my script #!/bin/sh #enable the environment variable thru profile . .profile when i run the script it was unable to find the .profile sh ChgPwd.sh ChgPwd.sh: line 4: .: .profile: file not found the file .profile exists ls -altr .profile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] crontab [-elr] DESCRIPTION
crontab is the program used to install, deinstall, or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in ISC Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var/cron, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the /var/cron/allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /var/cron/allow file does not exist but the /var/cron/deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /var/cron/deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, depending on the compiled in settings, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or everyone will be allowed to use this command. On NetBSD everyone is allowed to use this command. The default maximum size for a crontab is 256 kilobytes, but this may be changed for all users on the system by putting the desired maximum size (in bytes) in the /var/cron/maxtabsize file. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow Optional list of users that are allowed to use crontab. /var/cron/deny Optional list of users that are disallowed to use crontab. /var/cron/maxtabsize Maximum size of crontab files. Defaults to 256 kilobytes. /var/cron/tabs/ Directory containing the individual user crontab files, named after the user. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic Version 3 AT&T UNIX syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
May 6, 2010 BSD