Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove contents of directory, but not directory Post 91525 by BOFH on Saturday 3rd of December 2005 07:54:20 AM
Old 12-03-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc
What's the best way to delete everything in a directory, but not the directory itself, without using shell wildcards?
Why can't you use shell wildcards?

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to view contents of a directory

Hi, first post here be gentle. Very new to Unix. Using HP-UX 10.20 I CD into a remote directory on one machine $ cd /net/remote hostname yet when I do an ll in this directory none of the contents appear. It just is empty. when I do the same command from another machine, $ cd... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddave
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Message trying to list contents of directory

I'm getting this return whenever I try to do anything on a directory root# ls -al /directory ls: .: Value too large to be stored in data type. total 0 I can change directory down two levels but can not list contents of the root of this directory. ANy one seen this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sallender
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list contents of directory

I want to list the contents of a directory, but I do not want to use the ls, is there another way?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to list a directory's contents?

Hey guys! I'm so glad I found this site, I've had so many questions and have been left alone for roughly a year scanning man pages but It's just not quite cutting it for some things. So, I often like to list directories when browsing around my local machine, a friend's machine, or my web... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbilheimer
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Directory should not be deleted, But the contents can be

Hi Guys, I have an user's home directory set to /home/A And A contains the following directories B & C Is there some way in solaris by which i can prevent the directories B and C from getting deleted by the user but the contents of the directories B & C can be deleted ? Also i have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localhost
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of directory contents

Well I did a search and didn't anything for my specific case. I got a directory with a bunch of text file. All of them have the following pattern on the filename "ABCD_<As of Date>.txt" Example: ABCD_20110301.txt ABCD_20110302.txt ABCD_20110303.txt All I want to accomplish is a Korn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shark Tek
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that displays contents of a directory

Hello all! I am writing a script that takes in a directory name as input and if the directory exists, it shows the files inside the directory here is what I have so far (incomplete) (mostly like pseudocode) #/bin/sh echo Please enter the name of a directory read dir grep $dir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subway69
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What option will use for deleting directory with all its contents?

Hi How to completely delete directory with all it contents I try to use rmdir -r but it give error Thanks ---------- Post updated at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:52 AM ---------- Hi all I got the solution for my thread i use mkdir with the option -p Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tauatioti
1 Replies

9. AIX

Restore directory and contents from tape

Hi, I have taken a backup of a directory on my tape in using below command cd /backup find * -print|backup -ivf '/dev/rmt0' '-U' |tee -a /syslogs/backup.log and output appear in below format. a 0 rman-before-08032014 a 58403323904... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zipping contents without the actual directory

Hi , I want to zip files present in the directories listed under a parent directory without zipping the directory itself my parent directory path is /informatica/DGDMN/PowerCenter1011/server/infa_shared/SrcFiles/OTE/Final_Directory I have the below directories named as 1,2,3,4,5 listed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
9 Replies
K5IDENTITY(5)							   MIT Kerberos 						     K5IDENTITY(5)

NAME
k5identity - Kerberos V5 client principal selection rules DESCRIPTION
The .k5identity file, which resides in a user's home directory, contains a list of rules for selecting a client principals based on the server being accessed. These rules are used to choose a credential cache within the cache collection when possible. Blank lines and lines beginning with # are ignored. Each line has the form: principal field=value ... If the server principal meets all of the field constraints, then principal is chosen as the client principal. The following fields are recognized: realm If the realm of the server principal is known, it is matched against value, which may be a pattern using shell wildcards. For host-based server principals, the realm will generally only be known if there is a domain_realm section in krb5.conf(5) with a map- ping for the hostname. service If the server principal is a host-based principal, its service component is matched against value, which may be a pattern using shell wildcards. host If the server principal is a host-based principal, its hostname component is converted to lower case and matched against value, which may be a pattern using shell wildcards. If the server principal matches the constraints of multiple lines in the .k5identity file, the principal from the first matching line is used. If no line matches, credentials will be selected some other way, such as the realm heuristic or the current primary cache. EXAMPLE
The following example .k5identity file selects the client principal alice@KRBTEST.COM if the server principal is within that realm, the principal alice/root@EXAMPLE.COM if the server host is within a servers subdomain, and the principal alice/mail@EXAMPLE.COM when accessing the IMAP service on mail.example.com: alice@KRBTEST.COM realm=KRBTEST.COM alice/root@EXAMPLE.COM host=*.servers.example.com alice/mail@EXAMPLE.COM host=mail.example.com service=imap SEE ALSO
kerberos(1), krb5.conf(5) AUTHOR
MIT COPYRIGHT
1985-2013, MIT 1.11.3 K5IDENTITY(5)