Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copy only newer files? (xcopy equivalent) Post 91458 by Chomps on Friday 2nd of December 2005 09:54:31 AM
Old 12-02-2005
Aha - After Googling to find out what mkstemp is, I've discovered that the error is due to the file name length. Shortening the file name has solved the problem - the temp file name with the .XXXXXX extension must have been pushing it over the OS's file name length limit. (I guess)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar --newer = tar --newer-mtime ?

Hi, I have the following question : As far as I know unix doesn't store file creation dates. Would that imply the following? tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer is equal to: tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer-mtime ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files newer than...

Is there a way to use the find command to locate files newer than a specific date? Thanks! --Alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
4 Replies

3. Solaris

To copy the files newer than specific date

Dear all, Can you help me in copying files newer than speciifc date Thanks in advance, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAJESHKANNA
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

sftp -> put : How to uplaod only newer files

I have tried winscp, filezilla to copy data from windows xp SP2 machine to the sun sparc unix machine. However speed is around 120 to 130 kb/sec. I do have lot of files & with large size. So I switched to windows command prompt & transfered few files using sftp command. Its very fast as compared... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: _prasad
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp work as xcopy.

Actually i want to copy some file locations to another. so if directory not exist it should create that. i used cp -R/r but it copies only one directory. it doesnt make directory inside directory.. so i want this should create them automatically. One more thing if file already exist there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy newer files without create

I want the same effect as "cp -u" but without create missing files, it is possible ? ps: bash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrxrsd
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files newer than x days

We had an arrant rsync run and started copying over new files from one system to another. Although this is what we will want to do at some point, for now, we want to maintain the system as it was a few days ago. I am looking for a script that will find files that are newer than x days. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leyva62
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls files newer than 6 hours

How do I list al files in a folder with a creation date/time newer than 6 hours? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file only if newer

I only want the file copied if it is newer. But it still copies the file? zip -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip ./* cp -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip $DOCS_Backup/Ubuntu_Documents_`date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`.zip (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)