Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing variables to sed inside script Post 90584 by Daniel234 on Thursday 24th of November 2005 04:02:59 AM
Old 11-24-2005
thanks for the hint, bit of modification got the script working Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to pass variables to a sed-command. I'm reading a lot of threats and also the q&a "How can I use a variable in sed?". None of these commands works. I'm using AIX 5.2. I want to do the following: NUMBER=` echo 38341` | sed -n '/$NUMBER/p' an obtained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfisch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed function in a script ....

Hello , I have a script named testscript.sh wherein I have two variables $var and $final (both of which contain a number) I have a sed write function inside this script as follows: sed '1,2 w somefile.txt' fromfile.txt Now , in the above i want to pass $var and $final instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing UNIX commands inside sed

Hi, In sed, is it possible to match patterns by directly executing UNIX commands inside sed? For e.g. - sed "s/`cat file.txt | cut -d "|" -f2`/replace_string" Will the above command work? My expectation is to search for the second field in file.txt (file delimited by | ) and replace... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: devanathann
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching or passing variables

I need sed to add a "/>" to the end of a line that contains/starts with <meta. current line is <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2"> and should be <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2 " /> i need something like this? find . -name "*.html" -print0 | xargs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_rivers
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed in ksh

Hi, i need help passing variables to sed using ksh. My goal is to get particular data from log files. first i put a mark to the log files. echo "TEST_"`date + %m_%d_%Y_%T"` >markFile this will produce a 'markFile' which contain text like this TEST_06_01_2009_21:55:09 then i put the mark... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.anggrianto
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to unix command or script inside tclsh

hi everobody kindly consider the following in tclsh I understand that we can do the following %exec UnixCmd arg1 arg2 but if I assinged the arguments to a list insde tclsh how can I use them back i.e %set ArgList %exec UnixCmd %exec Unixcmd $list %exec all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blue_shadow
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing multiple variables into SED

Hello I am hoping you can help. I use ksh in Solaris9 I am trying to pass user imputed variables into SED but for some reason can only get SED to recognize one variable. I have experimented with te below command with putting ' ' and " " in different places but I cant seem to get it to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to a sed function

Hi everyone, I've re-written some of our scripts to use more functions and I've run into a situation where passing a variable to a sed function does not work. My function is a one-liner sed command as follows: function StringSub() { sed -i "${1}/${2}/${3}/${4}" ${5} } Where ${1} through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardsantink
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables from one script to another

Hi, this is the example i'm trying to do. script1.sh ABC="test.txt" ./script2.sh "$ABC" script2.sh INPUT="$HOMEDIR/$ABC" echo $INPUT when i run the 1st script it gives me ../home/ the test.txt is not passed into 2nd script. How can i resolve this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gskris88
2 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)