Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing variables to sed inside script Post 90578 by Daniel234 on Thursday 24th of November 2005 02:33:37 AM
Old 11-24-2005
I am not to certain what you mean and how to pass eval the command value

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to pass variables to a sed-command. I'm reading a lot of threats and also the q&a "How can I use a variable in sed?". None of these commands works. I'm using AIX 5.2. I want to do the following: NUMBER=` echo 38341` | sed -n '/$NUMBER/p' an obtained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfisch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed function in a script ....

Hello , I have a script named testscript.sh wherein I have two variables $var and $final (both of which contain a number) I have a sed write function inside this script as follows: sed '1,2 w somefile.txt' fromfile.txt Now , in the above i want to pass $var and $final instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing UNIX commands inside sed

Hi, In sed, is it possible to match patterns by directly executing UNIX commands inside sed? For e.g. - sed "s/`cat file.txt | cut -d "|" -f2`/replace_string" Will the above command work? My expectation is to search for the second field in file.txt (file delimited by | ) and replace... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: devanathann
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching or passing variables

I need sed to add a "/>" to the end of a line that contains/starts with <meta. current line is <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2"> and should be <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2 " /> i need something like this? find . -name "*.html" -print0 | xargs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_rivers
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed in ksh

Hi, i need help passing variables to sed using ksh. My goal is to get particular data from log files. first i put a mark to the log files. echo "TEST_"`date + %m_%d_%Y_%T"` >markFile this will produce a 'markFile' which contain text like this TEST_06_01_2009_21:55:09 then i put the mark... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.anggrianto
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to unix command or script inside tclsh

hi everobody kindly consider the following in tclsh I understand that we can do the following %exec UnixCmd arg1 arg2 but if I assinged the arguments to a list insde tclsh how can I use them back i.e %set ArgList %exec UnixCmd %exec Unixcmd $list %exec all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blue_shadow
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing multiple variables into SED

Hello I am hoping you can help. I use ksh in Solaris9 I am trying to pass user imputed variables into SED but for some reason can only get SED to recognize one variable. I have experimented with te below command with putting ' ' and " " in different places but I cant seem to get it to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to a sed function

Hi everyone, I've re-written some of our scripts to use more functions and I've run into a situation where passing a variable to a sed function does not work. My function is a one-liner sed command as follows: function StringSub() { sed -i "${1}/${2}/${3}/${4}" ${5} } Where ${1} through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardsantink
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables from one script to another

Hi, this is the example i'm trying to do. script1.sh ABC="test.txt" ./script2.sh "$ABC" script2.sh INPUT="$HOMEDIR/$ABC" echo $INPUT when i run the 1st script it gives me ../home/ the test.txt is not passed into 2nd script. How can i resolve this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gskris88
2 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)