Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ls command to list recursively ONLY subdirectories Post 90342 by RTM on Monday 21st of November 2005 09:42:13 PM
Old 11-21-2005
Yea, sorry about that - you probably don't have a /A - but I was more using your example
Quote:
For example, if my starting point is directory A

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List Files Recursively

Hi! I'd like to list my files recursively BUT: I want them in this format, so that I can use them as options for commands like ftp->put or del ./directory1/file1.tar ./directory1/file2.tar ./directory1/file3.tar ./directory2/file1.tar ./directory2/file2.tar ./directory2/file3.tar... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberthawke
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively go thorough subdirectories and checkout files

Hi, I would need to go through all the subdirectories, find each file and would need to check them out(using clearcase, which I know). But could you please help me how to find all the files under all subdirectories.. there could be multiple directories and subdirs... Sas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajiasalim
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursively concatenate files in subdirectories with same folder name

I'm trying to concatenate files in subdirectories with the same folder name. Say concatenate all the files in the 'current' subdirectories in 'Literature' parent directory. Literature/USA/current/ Literature/Europe/current/ Can anyone help with it? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyce007
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively concatenate files in subdirectories with the same folder name

I'm trying to concatenate files in subdirectories with the same folder name. Say concatenate all the files in the 'current' subdirectories in 'Literature' parent directory. Literature/USA/current/ Literature/Europe/current/ Can anyone help with it? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyce007
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter only gz files from list of subdirectories

Hi, I have a very big directory structure that consists of many sub-directories inside.There are around 50 ".gz" files under this dir structure. I want to copy all the gz files alone to a seperate location. Plz help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files from subdirectories given a list of filenames

Dear all, I have a dir structure like main_dir At_nn Ag_js Nf_hc .... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... and each subdir (e.g. mcd32, mgd43) contains files. Now, i... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?

Hi all, how to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?? for example: suppose i have kept all the keywords in a file called "procnamelist" (in separate line) and i have to search recursively in a directory called "target/dir" if i am not doing recursive search then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List all files in subdirectories which are modifiled recently.

Hello, I wanted to list all files in subdirectories which are modifiled recently. need to display all files with full details like hpw it display with ls -l ( date, size,..) Thanks Bala (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list the names of the files from all the subdirectories?

Hi, I'm currently trying to print the names of all the .txt files in the subdirectories that contain the string I'm searching. I tried with this code, but it seems that it searches for the names that matches the string instead of searching for the string in the individual files and printing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuclearpenguin
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX command to display Owner,Group,Root and Subdirectories list

Hi Team, Am a newbie to Unix. As I would like to see the Server Name,Owner Name ( not numeric form), Group Name ( not numeric ID), ROOT path. I would like to send this list as an attachment to my personal mail. Can any one please help me out to to resolve this . Here is the sample result... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuvv
6 Replies
RM(1)								   User Commands							     RM(1)

NAME
rm - remove files or directories SYNOPSIS
rm [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of rm. rm removes each specified file. By default, it does not remove directories. If the -I or --interactive=once option is given, and there are more than three files or the -r, -R, or --recursive are given, then rm prompts the user for whether to proceed with the entire operation. If the response is not affirmative, the entire command is aborted. Otherwise, if a file is unwritable, standard input is a terminal, and the -f or --force option is not given, or the -i or --interac- tive=always option is given, rm prompts the user for whether to remove the file. If the response is not affirmative, the file is skipped. OPTIONS
Remove (unlink) the FILE(s). -f, --force ignore nonexistent files and arguments, never prompt -i prompt before every removal -I prompt once before removing more than three files, or when removing recursively; less intrusive than -i, while still giving protec- tion against most mistakes --interactive[=WHEN] prompt according to WHEN: never, once (-I), or always (-i); without WHEN, prompt always --one-file-system when removing a hierarchy recursively, skip any directory that is on a file system different from that of the corresponding command line argument --no-preserve-root do not treat '/' specially --preserve-root do not remove '/' (default) -r, -R, --recursive remove directories and their contents recursively -d, --dir remove empty directories -v, --verbose explain what is being done --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit By default, rm does not remove directories. Use the --recursive (-r or -R) option to remove each listed directory, too, along with all of its contents. To remove a file whose name starts with a '-', for example '-foo', use one of these commands: rm -- -foo rm ./-foo Note that if you use rm to remove a file, it might be possible to recover some of its contents, given sufficient expertise and/or time. For greater assurance that the contents are truly unrecoverable, consider using shred. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Richard M. Stallman, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report rm translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
unlink(1), unlink(2), chattr(1), shred(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/rm> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) rm invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 RM(1)