Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file reading in unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file reading in unix Post 89704 by ashterix on Tuesday 15th of November 2005 08:29:29 AM
Old 11-15-2005
while read filename
do
echo $filename
done < files.temp

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading Particular Line From A File in Unix

Can any u pls tell me :- I want to read a particular line from a file, say line no. 10. This can be done by using awk..but that method I think, is inefficient. Is there any direct command for this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading lines within a Unix file.

I have a file that has a list of numbers in it. Each line has a different number. I am trying to create some sort of loop within a script that will pick the numbers up on lines 1 and 2 and then put those figures into the script. It then goes through the process then loops back and reads lines 2 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

reading unix file system from windows

I found a more appropriate section to post my question. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cneill
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX script for reading a file and creating another file

Hi, I am a beginner in scripting...I have to do a script where I have to read a file which has list of job names, line by line and for every line execute a dsjob command to find the log details of the job and extract only the start time of the job, if it is greater than jan 01 2008 and create... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX File handling -Issue in reading a file

I have been doing automation of daily check activity for a server, i have been using sqls to retrive the data and while loop for reading the data from the file for several activities. BUT i got a show stopper the below one.. where the data is getting store in $temp_file, but not being read by while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file reading

i have a directory that has n files starting with ABC_00x.txt and ABC_00x.txt where x is the integer number. i want to read the contents of each file and write it into a log file. can somebody help me in writing the shell script in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading UNIX commands from file and redirecting output to a file

Hi All I have written the following script: #!/bin/ksh while read cmdline do echo `$cmdline` pid="$cmdline" done<commands.txt =========== commands.txt contains: ps -ef | grep abc | grep xyz |awk '{print $2}; My objective is to store the o/p of the command in a variable and do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulparo
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore single or multiple lines between /* and */ while reading from a file in unix?

I have a file proc.txt: if @debug = 1 then message 'Start Processing ', @procname, dateformat(now(*), 'hh:mm:ss'), @julian type info to client; end if; /* execute immediate with quotes 'insert into sys_suppdata (property, value, key_name) location ''' || @supp_server || '.' ||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidncute
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input from web into UNIX file

Hi, Could someone let me know how to read input from a web page into a unix file. I am writing my script in bash shell in Solaris version. Thanks in advance, ayarlaga. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayarlaga
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX File reading question

Is there a script that will automatically access/count the words in each individual file for a program? (Sorry, I'm trying to help my girlfriend who's in computer science out, I know nothing about this. We're having trouble wording this question.) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Triple M
1 Replies
zipios::BackBuffer(3)					     Library Functions Manual					     zipios::BackBuffer(3)

NAME
zipios::BackBuffer - A BackBuffer instance is useful for reading the last part of a file in an efficient manner, when it is not known exactly how far back (towards the front!) to go, to find the start of the desired data block. SYNOPSIS
#include <backbuffer.h> Inherits vector< unsigned char >. Public Member Functions BackBuffer (istream &is, VirtualSeeker vs=VirtualSeeker(), int chunk_size=1024) BackBuffer constructor. int readChunk (int &read_pointer) Reads another chunk and returns the size of the chunk that has been read. Detailed Description A BackBuffer instance is useful for reading the last part of a file in an efficient manner, when it is not known exactly how far back (towards the front!) to go, to find the start of the desired data block. BackBuffer is a vector< unsigned char > that fills itself with data from a file by reading chunks from the end of the file progressing towards the start. Upon construction the BackBuffer instance is associated with a file and a chunksize can be specified. To read a chunk of the file into the BackBuffer call readChunk(). Definition at line 32 of file backbuffer.h. Constructor &; Destructor Documentation zipios::BackBuffer::BackBuffer (istream &is, VirtualSeekervs = VirtualSeeker(), intchunk_size = 1024) [inline, explicit] BackBuffer constructor. Parameters: is The istream to read the data from. The stream must be seekable, as BackBuffer will reposition the file position to read chunks from the back of the file. chunk_size specifies the size of the chunks to read the file into the BackBuffer in. Exceptions: FCollException Thrown if the VirtualSeeker vs that has been specified is invalid for the istream is. Definition at line 61 of file backbuffer.h. Member Function Documentation int zipios::BackBuffer::readChunk (int &read_pointer) [inline] Reads another chunk and returns the size of the chunk that has been read. Returns 0 on I/O failure. Parameters: read_pointer When a new chunk is read in the already stored bytes change position in the BackBuffer. read_pointer is assumed by readChunk() to be a pointer into a position in the BackBuffer, and is updated to point to the same position in the file as it pointed to before the new chunk was read. Definition at line 75 of file backbuffer.h. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for Zipios++ from the source code. Zipios++ Mon Oct 10 2011 zipios::BackBuffer(3)