Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris terminal output - save to file? Post 89702 by frustrated1 on Tuesday 15th of November 2005 08:19:45 AM
Old 11-15-2005
Thanks - but if I am on console and want to log everything sent to console to log file - how do i do this?

script does not log everything sent to the console terminal

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

let curl output to stdout AND save to a file

hello hackers. i have a curl process running as cgi directly pushing stdout to the client. but i want to additionally save that stream to a file at the same time. any directions madly welcome. thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Way to save output result of a program into another new file...

Does anybody know any alternative way to save output result of a program into another new file? I got try the command below: program_used input_file > new_output_file program_used input_file >> new_output_file Unfortunately, both the ">" and ">>" is not work at this case to save the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output to file - inside a script ?

I'm using the following script to check cisco router health and I'd like to save output to a file, vty_runcmd.sh > /check/check-cisco-health script works and output is saved to a file. However using it in crontab file is created but output is not printed inside it. In crontab, */5 * * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output into file bash scripting

Hi there. i have created a program that in the end it will give output like this 1 2 3 4 5 10 9 8 7 6 11 12 13 14 15 .............. 17 i wonder how to save the output into a single string and into a file. i.e 1 10 11 12 9 2 3 8 13 14 7 4 5 6 15 17 (in this order,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shdin271
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Save output into file bash scripting

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi there. i have created a program that in the end it will give output like this 1 2 3 4 5 10 9 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shdin271
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to save output of echo and awk to a file

Hi, I am generating a YAML file from a hosts file, but am having trouble saving it to a new file. hosts file 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.168.1.2 host1 192.168.1.3 host2 192.168.1.4 host3 192.168.1.5 host4 YAML file $ echo 'host_entries:' && awk '{printf " %s:\n ip:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
3 Replies
BOOTLOGD(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       BOOTLOGD(8)

NAME
bootlogd - record boot messages SYNOPSIS
/sbin/bootlogd [-c] [-d] [-r] [-s] [-v] [ -l logfile ] [ -p pidfile ] DESCRIPTION
Bootlogd runs in the background and copies all strings sent to the /dev/console device to a logfile. If the logfile is not accessible, the messages will be kept in memory until it is. OPTIONS
-d Do not fork and run in the background. -c Attempt to write to the logfile even if it does not yet exist. Without this option, bootlogd will wait for the logfile to appear before attempting to write to it. This behavior prevents bootlogd from creating logfiles under mount points. -r If there is an existing logfile called logfile rename it to logfile~ unless logfile~ already exists. -s Ensure that the data is written to the file after each line by calling fdatasync(3). This will slow down a fsck(8) process running in parallel. -v Show version. -l logfile Log to this logfile. The default is /var/log/boot. -p pidfile Put process-id in this file. The default is no pidfile. BUGS
Bootlogd works by redirecting the console output from the console device. (Consequently bootlogd requires PTY support in the kernel con- figuration.) It copies that output to the real console device and to a log file. There is no standard way of ascertaining the real con- sole device if you have a new-style /dev/console device (major 5, minor 1) so bootlogd parses the kernel command line looking for con- sole=... lines and deduces the real console device from that. If that syntax is ever changed by the kernel, or a console type is used that bootlogd does not know about then bootlogd will not work. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
dmesg(8),fdatasync(3). Jul 21, 2003 BOOTLOGD(8)