Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to write an OR statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to write an OR statement Post 88778 by aukequist on Tuesday 8th of November 2005 04:13:33 PM
Old 11-08-2005
How to write an OR statement

Hi all,
I want to check if the first or the second or the third argument of call to a shell script is empty.

How do i do that in a short way. I watched some examples and i believe
if [ .$1 = . ] checks if an argument is NULL.

If so, how can i add the checks for argument 2 and 3 in the statement?

Thanks in advance
Auke Quist

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

write statement into one file

I have one file name start.sh in rinku directory. I want to move it to rinku1 directory. I also mantain log file. In the log file I want to write the the statement whenever the move is failed. Example: >echo `mv /rinku/me.tx ../rinku1` | tee -a log1 mv: me.tx: cannot access: No such file or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write If statement using && and operator in Unix

Hi What is the syntax for if statement using && and || operator? if && ] || here its giving me an error to this if statement any suggestion?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a clue to write a IF statement

Hi all, i am writing a shell script in which i got stuck when tried to use a if statement. This is my code : #!/bin/sh today=`date +"%a %b %e"` find /prod/logs -name '*.log' -mtime 0 -exec cp {} /home/hzjnr0/test \; find /home/hzjnr0/test -type f -exec grep -i "successfully" {} \; >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soma Das
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed problem to write Db insertion statement

Hi There, I am trying to load data from a csv file into a DB during our DB migration phase. I am successfully able export all data into a .csv file but those have to rewritten in terms insert statement which will allow for further population of same data in different DB My exiting csv record... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to write write multiple cronjobs in shellscript??

Hi All, I need the answer of below question? 1) How to write multiple cronjobs in shellscript? Is there any way or we cant write in shellscript... Regards, Priyanka (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
2 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)