Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux command in linux to delete a directory Post 88673 by guptavikas1 on Tuesday 8th of November 2005 12:28:37 AM
Old 11-08-2005
thank u very much zazzybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzybob
rm -rf /some/directory

Be *very* careful.....

Cheers
ZB

thank u very much zazzybob

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to delete Directory and inside files using Find command

I am using the following Command to delete Directory with contents. But this command is deleting inside files only not directories. is there any change need in my command? find -type f -mtime +3 -exec rm -r {} \; Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
3 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Single command to delete a directory

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a command that will delete the john directory, and all of its contents. The problem I can't firgure out is how to create a absoute path to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorogon0099
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux delete script in sub-directory

Under TEMP folder, it have many sub-folder, example"0015,0016,etc" I need to discovery those file which are 2 days ago in this sub-folder , and list out to investigate, at the end delete all file in those sub folder, only keep the emptu directory. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: android
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete empty files from a directory entered in command prompt

My code to "Delete empty files from a directory entered in command promt" #/bin/sh echo "Enter directory" read gh for file in `ls $gh` do # to get the size of file a=$( ls -l file | awk ' {print $7} '); echo $a if then echo "removing file " rm file fi done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adirajup
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot Delete Directory

Hello, I am trying to delete a directory but cannot. Can anyone assist? See attached. Many thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixer
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete last occurence of word using Linux command?

Hi all, I am trying to delete last occurrence of word using sed command. for example. I have input like this on a.id1 = b.id1 and on a.id2 = b.id2 and on a.id3 = b.id3 and and I am expecting output like this on a.id1 = b.id1 and on a.id2 = b.id2 and on a.id3 = b.id3 I just need to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsk
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to delete half of files in directory.

Hello Friends, I have directory called /tmp. which stores the log files. Whenever it becomes full, i want to delete half of files from all log files. even after deleting the files, if space is more than 90% then it should delete rest of half files. While deleting files, older files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)