Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux command in linux to delete a directory Post 88668 by guptavikas1 on Monday 7th of November 2005 11:27:53 PM
Old 11-08-2005
command in linux to delete a directory

hi all,
can anybody tell me command(in linux) to delete a directory which have other directories & files in it.
its urgent

thanks
vikas

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to delete Directory and inside files using Find command

I am using the following Command to delete Directory with contents. But this command is deleting inside files only not directories. is there any change need in my command? find -type f -mtime +3 -exec rm -r {} \; Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
3 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Single command to delete a directory

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a command that will delete the john directory, and all of its contents. The problem I can't firgure out is how to create a absoute path to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorogon0099
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux delete script in sub-directory

Under TEMP folder, it have many sub-folder, example"0015,0016,etc" I need to discovery those file which are 2 days ago in this sub-folder , and list out to investigate, at the end delete all file in those sub folder, only keep the emptu directory. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: android
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete empty files from a directory entered in command prompt

My code to "Delete empty files from a directory entered in command promt" #/bin/sh echo "Enter directory" read gh for file in `ls $gh` do # to get the size of file a=$( ls -l file | awk ' {print $7} '); echo $a if then echo "removing file " rm file fi done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adirajup
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot Delete Directory

Hello, I am trying to delete a directory but cannot. Can anyone assist? See attached. Many thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixer
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete last occurence of word using Linux command?

Hi all, I am trying to delete last occurrence of word using sed command. for example. I have input like this on a.id1 = b.id1 and on a.id2 = b.id2 and on a.id3 = b.id3 and and I am expecting output like this on a.id1 = b.id1 and on a.id2 = b.id2 and on a.id3 = b.id3 I just need to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsk
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to delete half of files in directory.

Hello Friends, I have directory called /tmp. which stores the log files. Whenever it becomes full, i want to delete half of files from all log files. even after deleting the files, if space is more than 90% then it should delete rest of half files. While deleting files, older files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies
delete directory(1m)													      delete directory(1m)

NAME
delete directory - Deletes a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp delete directory directory-name ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. DESCRIPTION
The delete directory command deletes a directory. The directory cannot contain any object entries, soft links, or child pointers. The master replica must be the only remaining replica in the cell. Use the delete replica command if you need to remove read-only replicas. Privilege Required You must have delete permission to the directory and write permission to the clearinghouse that stores the master replica of the directory. The server principal needs administer permission to the parent directory or delete permission to the child pointer that points to the directory you intend to delete. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command deletes the directory /.:/eng from the namespace: cdscp> delete directory /.:/eng RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: create directory(1m), delete replica(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) delete directory(1m)