Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delete blank lines with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete blank lines with sed Post 87989 by Perderabo on Sunday 30th of October 2005 05:17:52 PM
Old 10-30-2005
Try this:
sed '/^ *$/d'
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete blank lines or lines with spaces only

hi there i'm trying to delete blank lines and or lines with spaces only from a series of files in an directory. to do so, i'm using this: for files in `ls /users/myname/pesop* 2>/dev/null` do grep -v ^$ $files > newfile mv newfile $files done now, this works great for blank lines but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete blank lines from a file

can anyone show me how to delete blank lines from a file. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete traling blank lines only

Hi, I have blank line in the file, I just want to remove trailing blank lines. There are some blank lines between the lines, i don't want remove those. Just want to delete blank lines at the end. I used this command sed '/^$/d' infile > outfile, but it is not removing anything. I think... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: visu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why cant i delete blank lines?

I have a sed pipeline: myVar=$(cat $FILE | sed -n '/regex/,/regex/{/regex/d;p}' | sed -n '/regex/!p' | sed -e s/*:// | sed /regex/,+8d \ ) sed '/^$/d' sed '/./!d' And i've tried to add that in a different order rather then just on the end..Why isnt it deleting all the blank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omgsomuchppl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed delete blank lines upto first pattern match

Hi Im trying to do the following in sed. I want to delete any blank line at the start of a file until it matches a pattern and then stops. for example: Input output: I have got it to work within a range of two patterns with the following: sed '/1/,/pattern/{/^]*$/d}' The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines in a file

Hi All, I have a file and I need to delete the lines that are blank and is starting with some characters below. Something like below: Regular Ascii File: Line1: AGODA1 BUSAN||SK Lord Beach 4/6/2012 4/7/2012 68060 Line2: AGODA2 BUSAN||SK Beach Hotel 4/6/2012 4/7/2012 610200 Line3: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed one liner to Delete blank lines - Help required

Hi, cat test.txt BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine ello hi helo BlankLine BlankLine heylo BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine done BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TomG
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns

Hi all, I'm looking for a way (sed or awk) to delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns ex: user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 16... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
3 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with 'nwbpvalues -c'. See util/nwbpsecurity for an example. As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)