Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pass the password to SU??
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers pass the password to SU?? Post 87769 by bikoyski on Thursday 27th of October 2005 12:51:58 PM
Old 10-27-2005
i'm logged in as 'a'.

but there are commands in the script that does a 'sed', 'rm', 'mv' , but 'a' is not the owner of the files. so i need to 'su' to the owner before i can do anything to the files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP - Pass password auti

ftp -i -n <<HERE open $IPADD user $USRNAME $PASS cd / get $FNAME close quit HERE Hi all the above script i used for ftp. How to modify same for sftp? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass a password to an application

Hi folks I am new to shellscripting and I try to automate & guify some jobs. Suppose I have a variable the stores a passwd and an application like "gpg" or "zip" to run from withn the script. how do I pass that passwd (the content of the variable) to the application being called? eg. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: latenite
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to pass Username and Password in telnet session

I have created a shell script to telnet remote machine. Here is the problem I am not able to pass the login username and password to the telnet session. I have searched forum and got few other methods to achieve this. But I need to know what's wrong in the below script. username="root"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxpassion
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass root password through script

I have several clients (over 120) connected to my server. I want to push some patch to all the client using a script which copies the file from the server to a specific path on the client and then installs it. But for installation of the patch, it needs to be done thorough root login on client.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahdeo
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass decrypted password to script

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script (ksh) to connect to oracle db via sqlplus. As I do not want the password to be in plain text, I've tried to use java to encrypt and decrypt it but I am not sure how can I pass the decrypted password to the script. Pls advise. Below is what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the password as input parameter to scp

Dear all Does anybody know how to pass the password as input parameter to scp or rsync in unix scripts? I have tried echo <password> | scp filename username@<ip address>:/filepath/ . But it does not work. BTW, I dont want to setup ssh trust between servers in this adhoc task. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldonlck
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to auto pass password in shell script !

Hi all, I have a simple script to check the CPU, Swap Memory and Hard Disk. But I can auto assign password in the script to automatic run it in crontab. Everytime when I run this script, it require to insert password like the message below : How can I solve this problem ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cafecoc85
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass the password to su in shell script

Hello, I am using below command but this is asking for tty c42dba {/home/oracle}: echo sersnp | su -c ggs standard in must be a tty Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass root password with su and command?

Hello, I have list of around 400 devices. I need to restart a service /etc/init.d/psap23.sh in all of them, but it should restart by root only. Those have some other kind of light Linux. There is no sudo package in that and we can't/shouldn't install. Direct root login is not allowed. I login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to pass password as a variable for sshpass authentication?

Using below below command i'm able to connect or authenticate server, In below command password contains special characters sshpass -v -p 'ASJBA%hs76)#' ssh -q -o ConnectTimeout=5 hostname But If I pass password as a variable I'm not able to connect or authenticate server, can you please help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
1 Replies
install(1)						      General Commands Manual							install(1)

Name
       install - install binaries

Syntax
       install [-c] [-m mode] [-o owner] [-g group] [-s] binary destination

Description
       The  binary  is moved to destination.  If destination already exists, it is removed before binary is moved.  If the destination is a direc-
       tory then binary is moved into the destination directory with its original file-name.

The command refuses to move a file onto itself.

Options
       -c		   Copies binary to destination.

-g group 	   Specifies a different group from group staff for destination.  The destination is changed to group system; the -g group
			   option  may	be used to specify a different group.  The user must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the
			   file or the superuser.

-m mode		   Specifies a different mode from the standard 755 for destination.

-o owner 	   Specifies a different owner from owner root for destination.  The destination is changed  to  current  owner.   The	-o
			   owner option may be used to specify a different owner, but only the superuser can change the owner.

-s		   Strips the binary after it is installed.

See Also
       chgrp(1), chmod(1), cp(1), mv(1), strip(1), chown(8)

install(1)