Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding root user to a group
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding root user to a group Post 87291 by blowtorch on Saturday 22nd of October 2005 01:46:58 AM
Old 10-22-2005
You have things slightly mixed up. useradd is used to add a new user to the system. If you want to edit the attributes of an existing user, you have to use usermod. Run the following command:
Code:
usermod -G beoper root

This will add beoper to the list of groups that root is already a member of. Here is the man page for usermod.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a user to a group

Now, its been a while since i done this but I had to add a user to a group. I did that by using the usermod command and now when I superuser to the user's account and issue a "id", i get the desired gid. i mean, output of id indicated the user is assigned to the group i want him to be in. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

Adding user to a group without SAM

How can I add a user to a specific group without using SAM? I know I can user modprpw -G, but that will overwrite any groups the user is in with the ones I specify. I need to assume that I do not know what groups the user is already in, so I can't put them in the modprpw command. I just need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
2 Replies

3. BSD

Log off mandatory after adding a user to a group to take effect?

Hello I have a group called "media" which has a 7 access to a directory with the same name, my username was not included in that group, after vimming /etc/group and adding myself to it, I notice that that group is not defined as one of my groups (by issuing the "groups" command). I know that if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Adding User to group

Hi all, I have a existing user user1 its group id dba i have created a new user named: uta and added to group dba my task for creating uta ( to ftp solaris server from /oracle/pcmia/dry1 & oracle/pcmia/dry2 and get some rdf ( database patch) and saved in one windows folder named d:\patch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a user to a group

Hello guys!! If a user is already created on a server, how do you add them to another group? The useradd command? If so then would that duplicate the user account on the server? Thanks Bigben (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

6. AIX

Adding a Volume Group to an HACMP Resource Group?

Hi, I have a 2 node Cluster. Which is working in active/passive mode (i.e Node#1 is running and when it goes down the Node#2 takes over) Now there's this requirement that we need a mount point say /test that should be available in active node #1 and when node #1 goes down and node#2 takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding UNIX user to a group

Hi, I am new to unix. I am facing access permission issue I want to access path /app/compress from a user "test" but getting permission denied error This path exist in "Main" user So after some googling i came to know we need to add "test" user in "main" group so path /app/compress ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Adding user to a group (usermod or gpasswd)

I believe there are two methods of adding a user to a group. using usermod and gpasswd. but most of the time we tent to use user mod. does there any difference between these two methods .... gpasswd -a geek admins usermod -a -G admins geek both code add user geek to a group admin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lobsang
1 Replies
usermod(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      usermod(3pm)

NAME
Linux::usermod - modify user and group accounts SYNOPSIS
use Linux::usermod; $user = Linux::usermod->new(username); $grp = Linux::usermod->new(groupname, 1); $user->get(gid); # equal to $user->get(3); $user->get(uid); # equal to $user->get(2); $grp->get(gid); # equal to $user->get(2); $grp->get(users);# equal to $user->get(3); #lock and unlock user account $user->lock(); $user->unlock(); #get password(passwd file) $user->get(ppassword); #get encoded password(shadow file) $user->get(password); #set encoded password $user->set(password); $grp->set(password); #set shell / group administrator $user->set(shell); $grp->set(ga); #set group users @users = qw(user1 user2); $grp->set(users, "@users"); Linux::usermod->add(username); #or Linux::usermod->add(username, password, uid, gid, comment, home, shell); #where the password goes in shadow file and gid becomes #equal to uid unless specified and uid is becoming the #first unreserved number after 1000 unless specified #or @users = qw(user1 user2 user3); Linux::usermod->grpadd(groupname, gid, "@users") #where the password goes in gshadow file and gid becomes #equal to the second argument or the first unreserved number #after 100 #delete user/group Linux::usermod->del(username); Linux::usermod->grpdel(groupname); #all fields are returned from the class methods fields/gfields print $user->get($_) for (Linux::usermod->fields); print $grp->get($_) for (Linux::usermod->gfields); #set working passwd and shadow files #$Linux::usermod::file_passwd = "./my_passwd"; #$Linux::usermod::file_shadow = "./my_shadow"; #$Linux::usermod::file_group = "./my_group"; #$Linux::usermod::file_gshadow= "./my_gshadow"; DESCRIPTION
This module adds, removes and modify user and group accounts according to the passwd and shadow files syntax (like struct passwd from pwd.h). It is not necessary those accounts to be system as long as $Linux::usermod::file_passwd, $Linux::usermod::file_shadow, $Linux::usermod::file_group, $Linux::usermod::file_gshadow are not in "/etc" directory. METHODS
new Linux::usermod->new(username) Linux::usermod->new(grpname, 1) If group object second 'true' argument must be given add (username, ...) Class method - add new user account; arguments are optional, except username; they may be (username, password, uid, gid, comment, home, shell) del (username) Class method - removes user account tobsd converts user fields in shadow / master.passwd file to bsd style get if used with user object returns one of the following fields: 'name' or 0 The user's name 'ppassword' or 1 The "passwd" file password 'uid' or 2 The user's id 'gid' or 3 The user's group id 'comment' or 4 The comment about the user (real username) 'home' or 5 The user's home directory 'shell' or 6 The user's shell 'sname' or 7 The user's name in shadow file 'password' or 8 The 13-character encoded password 'lastchg' or 9 The number of days since January 1, 1970 of the last password changed date 'min' or 10 The minimum number of days required between password changes 'max' or 11 The maximum number of days the password is valid 'warn' or 12 The number of days before expiring the password that the user is warned 'inactive' or 13 The number of days of inactivity allowed for the user 'expire' or 14 The number of days since January 1, 1970 that account is disabled 'flag' or 15 Currently not used if used with group object returns one of the following fields: 'name' or 0 The group name 'ppassword' or 1 The group password 'gid' or 2 The group id number 'users' or 3 The group members (users) 'sname' or 4 The group name in gshadow file (the same as 'name') 'password' or 5 The encrypted group password 'ga' or 6 The group administrators 'gu' or 7 The group members (users) (the same as 'users') argument can be either string or number set (field) set a field which must be string of characters: @user_fields = Linux::usermod->fields; #user fields @group_fields = Linux::usermod->gfields; #group fields grpadd (groupname) grpdel (groupname) lock (username) Lock user account (puts '!' at the beginning of the encoded password) unlock (username) Unlock user account (removes '!' from the beginning of the encoded password) users Class method - return hash which keys are all users, taken from $file_passwd grps Class method - return hash which keys are all groups, taken from $file_group FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/gshadow unless given your own passwd, shadow, group, gshadow files which must be created TO DO
Groups and user accounts consistency checks SEE ALSO
getpwent(3), getpwnam(3), usermod(8), passwd(1), gpasswd(1) BUGS
None known. Report any to author. AUTHOR
Vidul Petrov, vidul@abv.bg (C) 2004 Vidul Petrov. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-01-11 usermod(3pm)