Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rlogin & telnet
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rlogin & telnet Post 8657 by g-e-n-o on Tuesday 16th of October 2001 07:05:06 AM
Old 10-16-2001
rlogin & telnet

hi

what is the main difference between rlogin and telnet? Or they are synonymous

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh & rlogin

I'm trying to execute the next command: " rsh CompName date " which means i want to get the date from a machine which i have its CompName. but i get the answer : "Connection refused" what do i need to do ? how can i sign myself as user or guest in the other machine ? thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Inbal
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

telnet on AT&T MLS V

How do I enable telnet access to a system running AT&T MLS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgod
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet, rlogin, ssh login probblem

Hello Friends, I had an IRIX box won't let me login with any IDs (even root) Telnet, Rlogin, SSh. However, I can login by single user with root ID. Telnet login >>> Connection closed by forgeign host. Rlogin >>> Connection closed SSh login >>> connection to address ???.????.???.??? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anphdula
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

telnet & su in shell script

Hi, Any scripting experts out there that can point me to the right direction of writing a script using telnet and su to access a server without any users interaction such as login and entering passwd. Thanks. Thanks in advance vastare (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastare
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diable telnet & ftp

Hi All, I need to stop all the services for telnet & FTP as we want our server to be more secure. Please give me some steps for jumping to SSH protocol. How can i disable telnet & ftp service on my server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
1 Replies

6. Solaris

rlogin, telnet connections timeout

Hi, I have a Sun Ultra 5 desktop with Solaris 8. When I telnet/rlogin into any other host, the connection closes after few hours of inactivity. I also have another Windows box which I use rarely. But when I telnet/rlogin into the same hosts using putty, the connection stays for days without any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_gsb
5 Replies

7. IP Networking

rlogin,telnet-different or same?

Hai guys, Both "rlogin" and "telnet" are used to login remote host.Is there any differece between these 2 commands? (or) are both same? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for nested rlogin and telnet

I want to write a script that rlogins to a couple machines and then from the last machine, telnet into a final machine and execute a command. So in pseudocode it would look like: rlogin host1 from host1 rlogin host2 from host2 telnet host3 from host 3 execute command The reason for the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcburke38
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin and telnet

I want to make a script which will execute a command from a remote server like below rlogin server1 then telnet server2 (username, password will be given) now execute command (it may "ls -l *.txt") and give the output I've to do this manually but want to make it automatic Script may... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat & telnet

cat & telnet hello, I need some help on using a file with the cat command. I want to set up a telnet connection with a network device with the ip-adress 10.3.0.1. Just executing the command 'telnet 10.3.0.1' gives a menu. For example, to show the help of the menu, you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michealvh
2 Replies
.K5LOGIN(5)							File Formats Manual						       .K5LOGIN(5)

NAME
.k5login - Kerberos V5 acl file for host access. DESCRIPTION
The .k5login file, which resides in a user's home directory, contains a list of the Kerberos principals. Anyone with valid tickets for a principal in the file is allowed host access with the UID of the user in whose home directory the file resides. One common use is to place a .k5login file in root's home directory, thereby granting system administrators remote root access to the host via Kerberos. EXAMPLES
Suppose the user "alice" had a .k5login file in her home directory containing the following line: bob@FUBAR.ORG This would allow "bob" to use any of the Kerberos network applications, such as telnet(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), and rcp(1), to access alice's account, using bob's Kerberos tickets. Let us further suppose that "alice" is a system administrator. Alice and the other system administrators would have their principals in root's .k5login file on each host: alice@BLEEP.COM joeadmin/root@BLEEP.COM This would allow either system administrator to log in to these hosts using their Kerberos tickets instead of having to type the root pass- word. Note that because "bob" retains the Kerberos tickets for his own principal, "bob@FUBAR.ORG", he would not have any of the privileges that require alice's tickets, such as root access to any of the site's hosts, or the ability to change alice's password. SEE ALSO
telnet(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcp(1), ksu(1), telnetd(8), klogind(8) .K5LOGIN(5)