Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Download unix operating system Post 86277 by zazzybob on Wednesday 12th of October 2005 07:21:23 PM
Old 10-12-2005
So, you didn't check out our Frequently Asked Questions area before posting this Frequently Asked Question?

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix operating system

hi I am trying to install solaris 8 on intel machine(intel300 mhz,32 mg ram,3.2 hd,24x cd-rom). hardware scaning is ok. Then it ask to enter choice for interactive installation #1 for web #2. After i enter chice system reboot agian and it takes to same screne. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neer45
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX operating system and Unix Open Server

Hi, I recently joined this forum and new to UNIX. Is there any difference between UNIX operating system and UNIX open server? Please explain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manjit
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Operating System

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum and Unix. I have a couple of questions and please, excuse my ignorance. I have a spare machine which is now running MS Windows 98 and I would like to format the disk and install the Unix operating system along with Oracle 8i and SQL Server. My... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronBear
13 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

The Creation of the UNIX* Operating System

Excellent reference on the history of UNIX: Bell Labs History of UNIX* http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/images/86-300838-EM.jpeg (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System?

Hey all, I currently use FreeBSD and linux and have decided I want to use a proper Unix distrobution. Which Unix distro would you members recommend. The only requirments that I have is that I can use some pogramming utilities available. I don't mind the install process. One more thing, I know some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: -zorin
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix a 32-bit operating system?

heyfrenz i just need a proper explanation of why is unix a 32-bit operating system??....a proper answer with proper explanation.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: silverrock7
6 Replies

9. Programming

Is android an operating system of unix.

I have a query that is about android application based mobile. actually android is so popular in mobiles and its w using sell cmd also UNIX is also support shell files. So it is a operating system of UNIX. But i am not sure please help me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrepitt77
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Smallest UNIX operating system

Which is the smallest Unix operating system and how do I download it? edit by bakunin: corrected typo in the thread-title and removed the text formatting: we are able to read non-bold text either. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nalcolmshally
4 Replies
UNAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname -- Print operating system name SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnprsv] DESCRIPTION
The uname utility writes symbols representing one or more system characteristics to the standard output. The following options are available: -a Behave as though all of the options -mnrsv were specified. -m print the machine hardware name. -n print the nodename (the nodename may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network). -p print the machine processor architecture name. -r print the operating system release. -s print the operating system name. -v print the operating system version. If no options are specified, uname prints the operating system name as if the -s option had been specified. SEE ALSO
hostname(1), machine(1), sw_vers(1), uname(3) STANDARDS
The uname utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -p option is an extension to the standard. BSD
November 9, 1998 BSD