Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Pipe
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Pipe Post 86248 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 12th of October 2005 01:46:32 PM
Old 10-12-2005
a pipe is an intermediate file that allows to separate process to communicate.
The file uses FIFO I/O - first-in first-out. The last thing written to the file is the first thing read from the file.

I don't see any advantage to invoking sqlldr with a pipe. In fact, it may be a problem because pipes have a limit on "record" size - see /usr/include/limits.h _POSIX_PIPE_BUF and PIPE_BUF - and tables with several long columns will cause a problem with overflow.

One way pipes are really useful is to have two separate Oracle sessions comminuicating to one another using DBMS_PIPE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Compress while wrting to a file using a unix pipe

I would like to know if the following can be done. route output from an sql select directly to a pipe and compress it at the same time. regards Albert (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: booyena1
2 Replies

2. Programming

unix pipe in C

I currently stuck on a simple program that requires unix pipe. I'm have never programmed with unix pipe before, so if anyone can point me to the right different will be greatly appreciated! I'm suppose to write a program that the parent spawns many child processes and each of the child process... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a pipe delimited file in unix

Could one of you shad some light on this: I need to split the file by determining the record count and than splitting it up into 4 files. Please note, this is not a fixed record length but rather a "|" delimited file. I am not sure as how to handle reminder/offset for the 4th file. For... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddedic
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Definition for the UNIX term Pipe

Looking for examples/definition of what the term Pipe means in UNIX. Please provide answers and illustrations if possible or direction. Thanks!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfrost126
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command pipe

I am pretty new to UNIX. My client has a requirement where in a directory we have some files with somewhat similar name like test_XX.txt, test_XY.txt, test_XZ.txt, test_ZZ.txt, test_ZY.txt, test_ZX.txt, test_YY.txt......Out of these files few files have 0 bytes. Is there a way where we can go... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting hex value 7C (for pipe) to CRLF in Unix

I am trying to convert a txt file that includes one long string of data. The lines are separated with hex value 7C (for pipe). I am trying to process this file using SQR (Peoplesoft) so I thought the easiest thing to do would be to replace the eol char with a CRLF in unix so I can just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfedak
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing struct through unix pipe -solved

EDIT: Nevermind, called a friend who is good at this stuff and he figured it out :D Hi all, So I'm trying to teach myself to write programs for unix in c. I am currently creating a program, and I need to pass a struct through a pipe, but I can't figure out how. The struct I want to pass... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: twnsfn34
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing UNIX 1 byte delimiters to the pipe separator

Hi I am new to Unix Shell scripting have a requirement where I have to replace the "unix 1 byte delimiter" with the "pipe" separator and also remove any carriage returns and line feeds if any The Source File 4 QFH Jungle Hill 32-34 City Road London SE23 3UX the output should be ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX fifo concurrent read from a named pipe

I have created a fifo named pipe in solaris, which writes the content of a file, line by line, into pipe as below: $ mkfifo namepipe $ cat books.txt "how to write unix code" "how to write oracle code" $ cat books.txt >> namepipe & I have a readpipe.sh script which reads the named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen mani
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Pipe -Exit when there are no bytes to read

Hi All, I'm creating a program which reads millions of bytes from the PIPE and do some processing. As the data is more, the idea is to read the pipe parallely. Sun Solaris 8 See the code below: #!/bin/sh MAXTHREAD=30 awk '{print $1}' metadata.csv > nvpipe & while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)