Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inappropriate ioctl for device Post 84573 by steelrose on Tuesday 27th of September 2005 08:11:14 AM
Old 09-27-2005
I've looked at both of those before (and just now again to be sure). I understand that it is some sort of input looking for a terminal session, but I don't understand why it's treating the assignment as something needing a terminal.
steelrose

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, We are running a perl script to upload some data using SQL* Loader. We pipe the data in a http request to SQL*Loader which loads the data to the database. We encounter the error "Inappropirate ioctl for device" when we try to upload huge data. Any solution would be greatly appreciated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tojaiganesh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error :confused: : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Inappropriate ioctl for device, format error

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2 hd 64 sec 63>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dear all, Problem goes like this: I have a shell script which when run manually runs perfectly. When same script is executed through a job schdeduler I get an error as Inappropriate ioctl for device and the script fails. This problems seems quite guiling to me. Any clues are heartly... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hdparm + Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. Code: hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device after ssh command

Hello everyone I am finishing a script allowing me to purge logs on multiple servers, i have one last pb with the ssh command.........it is throwing me the following error : tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device (full screen in attached file 1, full script in attached file 2) It... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup: can't detach from console: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi! I am getting a nohup issue on mac osx while trying to start a process through nohup in the startup script. nohup: can't detach from console: Inappropriate ioctl for device Please help! Thanks, Allan. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, ssh -q -t -l $usr $host bin/test.sh I am using above command to run script remotely. script is working without any issues. but I am getting "tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device" message on console. plz help how can I avoid this message. Thanks Moved thread from Emergency... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sample program tty, this will be get called from my script test_script. #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #define TTY_NAME_MAX 32 #define STDIN_FILENO 0 /* Standard input. */ int main(void) { int ret = 0; char local_device_file; printf("\npid =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajendra_PH
7 Replies
getlogin(3C)															      getlogin(3C)

NAME
getlogin(), getlogin_r() - get name of user logged in on this terminal SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function retrieves the name of the user currently logged in on a terminal associated with the calling process, as found in user- accounting database maintained by utmpd(1M). At least one of the standard input, standard output, or standard error must be a terminal. For the first of these found that is a termi- nal, a user must have logged in on that terminal, and that terminal must be the controlling terminal of the session leader process of the calling process's session. The function can be used in conjunction with to locate the correct password file entry when the same user ID is shared by several login names. The recommended procedure to obtain the user name associated with the real user ID of the calling process is to call and if that fails, to call To get the user name associated with the effective user ID, call performs the same operations as but returns the login name in the buffer to which buf points, whose size in bytes should be passed in buflen. buf should have space for the name and the terminating null character. The maximum size of the login name can be obtained using the API with as the argument. APPLICATION USAGE
The return value from points to static data whose content is overwritten by each call. RETURN VALUE
Upon successfully finding and validating the login name of the user logged in on the terminal, returns a pointer to the name. Otherwise, it returns a null pointer, and sets to indicate the error. Upon successfully finding, validating, and copying to the buffer the login name of the user logged in on the terminal, returns 0 upon suc- cess and returns an error number upon failure. ERRORS
and fail if any of the following is true: [EACCES] Access permission to get the status of the terminal device file, was denied. [EMFILE] Too many file descriptors are in use by this process. [ENFILE] Too many file descriptors are in use on the system. [ENOENT] The terminal device file cannot be found. [ENOTTY] None of the standard input, standard output, or standard error is a terminal, or for the first of these that is a terminal, no current login is registered on that terminal, or the session leader process of the calling process has no controlling terminal. [EPERM] One of the standard input, standard output, or standard error is a terminal, and a current login was found on that terminal, but that terminal is not the same as the controlling terminal of the session of the calling process. [ESRCH] The session leader process of the calling process is no longer running. The error condition associated with [EPERM] prevents processes that have access to some other user's terminal from believing that they are related to that other user's login session. also fails if the following is true: [ERANGE] The length of the name to be returned, including the terminating null byte, exceeds buflen. WARNINGS
Users of should note now conforms with the POSIX.1c Threads standard. The old prototype of is supported for compatibility with existing DCE applications only. SEE ALSO
utmpd(1M), getuid(2), sysconf(2), getgrent(3C), getpwent(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
getlogin(3C)