Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: search & replace in variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search & replace in variable Post 84544 by vino on Tuesday 27th of September 2005 03:20:58 AM
Old 09-27-2005
If you are using sh read the man pages of sh

Under the Parameter Expansion section

Code:
       ${parameter/pattern/string}
       ${parameter//pattern/string}
              The pattern is expanded to produce a pattern just as in pathname
              expansion.  Parameter is expanded and the longest match of  pat-
              tern  against  its  value is replaced with string.  In the first
              form, only the first match is replaced.  The second form  causes
              all  matches  of pattern to be replaced with string.  If pattern
              begins with #, it must match at the beginning  of  the  expanded
              value  of parameter.  If pattern begins with %, it must match at
              the end of the expanded value of parameter.  If string is  null,
              matches  of  pattern are deleted and the / following pattern may
              be omitted.  If parameter is @ or *, the substitution  operation
              is  applied to each positional parameter in turn, and the expan-
              sion is the resultant list.  If parameter is an  array  variable
              subscripted  with  @ or *, the substitution operation is applied
              to each member of the array in turn, and the  expansion  is  the
              resultant list.

That would translate to a construct like this
Code:
${var1//a/x}

I couldnt find any similiar shell builtin for ksh.

There are a bunch of solutions for something similiar in this thread Find and replace the value in a variable

vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi search & replace functions

I'm trying to do a global search and replace in vi. I am trying to replace a string, call it "BOB" with a carriage return and can't seem to find a reference to it. Command syntax s%/BOB/???/g What would I substitute the "???" with? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: barnettdk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, sed search&replace

Plzzzz, tell me some script about this... What does this mean ? sed '/^ */s///' sed '/^/s// /' and why it's diferent ??? sed '/ */s// /g' and sed 's/ */ /g'. It's all the same ??? Thanks you very much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace

Is there any way we can achieve search & replace with awk? I could achieve the same with sed in following way - sed 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 But the same regex if I try with using awk following way, awk 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 it gives me Syntax error. I strongly believe I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Search & Replace

Hey, I want to have a C program which, for an existing file supplied by the command line argument (E.g. File1.txt) replaces all the occurrences of the words: "We” or “we” by “I” “a” by “the” “A” by “The”. Then print the replaced file. All other characters of the file are to be left... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IwishIknewC
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with search & replace

I have a file that has some accent characters in it when viewed in some text editors, but when viewed in vi they come in as ~R and ~U. I need to make a script to remove these characters from the file, but have been unsuccessful. I am not sure how sed or awk, or something similar is viewing them,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcovert
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search & Replace

Hi , I ahve a text file which has several instances of the text such as run_time: 09:30 I need to add double quotes before and after the time value i.e: run_time: "09:30" Any suggestions on how to go about the same (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobbyjoseph
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck with Search & Replace

Hi I'm trying to replace a string in the files ending with *.txt Unable to get the sed to do the job. any help would be appreciated :) I'm on SunOS #!/bin/bash startdirectory={$HOME}/pp_test searchterm="change" replaceterm="CHANGE" echo $searchterm echo $replaceterm for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqueue
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace question

Hi all, I have one question that hopefully isn't too complicated for the more advanced users here. In one of the Solaris KSH scripts I'm working on, is it possible to script the following: - If there "is" an empty blank line "at the end" of /tmp/text.txt, then remove only that one empty... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi all Please can you help me with a script to check several files for the following string: encoding=""and replace it with: encoding="UTF-8"I did the following, : #!/bin/sh string1="encoding=""" string2="encoding="UTF-8" sed 's/'"$string1"'/'"$string2"'/g'but does not work. Please can... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi Gurus, I have two files. I want to read sessoin_name from the file1 and replace $Param4 & $Param5 in file2 with connection_name in specified in file1. The file1 will have data in following format File 1 session_name,connection_name s_abcd,Listener_2 s_def,Listener_1 source file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
7 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)						  Linux Audit API					      AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_item - build up search rule SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_item(auparse_state_t *au, const char *field, const char *op, const char *value, ausearch_rule_t how); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_item adds one search condition to the current audit search expression. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. The field value is the field name that the value will be checked for. The op variable describes what kind of check is to be done. Legal op values are: exists just check that a field name exists = locate the field name and check that the value associated with it is equal to the value given in this rule. != locate the field name and check that the value associated with it is NOT equal to the value given in this rule. The value parameter is compared to the uninterpreted field value. The how value determines how this search condition will affect the existing search expression if one is already defined. The possible val- ues are: AUSEARCH_RULE_CLEAR Clear the current search expression, if any, and use only this search condition. AUSEARCH_RULE_OR If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E || this_search_condition). AUSEARCH_RULE_AND If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E && this_search_condition). RETURN VALUE
Returns -1 if an error occurs; otherwise, 0 for success. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_expression(3), ausearch_add_interpreted_item(3), ausearch_add_timestamp_item(3), ausearch_add_regex(3), ausearch_set_stop(3), ausearch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), ausearch-expression(5). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Nov 2007 AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)