Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check whether a string is number or not Post 83980 by sanjustudy on Wednesday 21st of September 2005 06:26:38 AM
Old 09-21-2005
number or not

if u r using tcl or perl there is finction calles isnumber

if [ isnumber $a ] {
}
Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check whether variable number or string

I am passing an argument to a file and i wanna check whether the argument is a number or string ? how can i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to search string and number in one file and check in the other file

Hi, Can anyone help in the below problem. file1 has the below contents fileset 999 primary-ilist inode 37020 has invalid dotdot (426094) -> Not exist fileset 999 primary-ilist inode 115016 dup block ->... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: knshree
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check given string is number in shell script?

Hi, Can anyone help me out to check whether the input argument is number? Example: REQUEST_ID="123456" I need to check the REQUEST_ID value is number or string. Thanks in Advance Regards BS (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajiora
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if the value is Number

Hi, I have a file with data as given $cat file1.txt 123 234 23e 234.456 234.876e 345.00 I am checking if the values are proper integers using the command. nawk -F'|' 'int($1)!=$1 {printf "Error in field 1|"$0"\n"}' file1.txt This is checking for only integers ( without... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing number in bash (number is in form of string)

I have a txt file as database. when i run my program what it does is it ask me for 3 name and stored in the file as name1:name2:name3:1 when u enter 3 name it add those in file as above format and add 1 at the end. I what i want is if i enter same names again it changes that 1 to 2 and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check parameter is number or string

Hey I'm new in linux, I'm looking for a code to check whether the parameter is a number or a string. I have already tried this code: eerste=$(echo $1 | grep "^*$">aux) if But it doesn't work.:confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file for string existence before appending it with string

I want to append file with a string but before doing that i want to check if this string already exist in that file.I tried with grep on Solaris 10 but unsuccessful.Man pages from grep seems to suggest if the string is found command status will be 0 and if not 1.But i am not finding it.May be i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
ISDIGIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						ISDIGIT(3)

NAME
isdigit, isnumber -- decimal-digit character test LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int isdigit(int c); int isnumber(int c); int isdigit_l(int c, locale_t loc); int isnumber_l(int c, locale_t loc); DESCRIPTION
The isdigit() function tests for a decimal digit character. Regardless of locale, this includes the following characters only: ``0'' ``1'' ``2'' ``3'' ``4'' ``5'' ``6'' ``7'' ``8'' ``9'' The isnumber() function behaves similarly to isdigit(), but may recognize additional characters, depending on the current locale setting. The value of the argument must be representable as an unsigned char or the value of EOF. The _l-suffixed versions take an explicit locale argument, whereas the non-suffixed versions use the current global or per-thread locale. RETURN VALUES
The isdigit() and isnumber() functions return zero if the character tests false and return non-zero if the character tests true. COMPATIBILITY
The 4.4BSD extension of accepting arguments outside of the range of the unsigned char type in locales with large character sets is considered obsolete and may not be supported in future releases. The iswdigit() function should be used instead. SEE ALSO
ctype(3), iswdigit(3), multibyte(3), xlocale(3), ascii(7) STANDARDS
The isdigit() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). The isdigit_l() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The isnumber() function appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
May 4, 2007 BSD