Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automating SFTP with Expect
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automating SFTP with Expect Post 83179 by sysera on Monday 12th of September 2005 09:45:16 AM
Old 09-12-2005
Automating SFTP with Expect

Hello all,
I've written an automated SFTP script to work with the Expect command. It recently occurred to me however, that if the client side box does not have the known host entry for the server, it will not work correctly. So I have added an expect for the known host prompt, and that part works correctly, however, it does not seem to continue past that point to enter the password successfully if the known host file has already been configured for that particular server. I'm assuming I need some sort of timeout for the expect of the known hosts warning, or an if of sorts. I'm not sure how to go about this with expect though. Any help would be great. Smilie Below is my script:

#!/usr/bin/expect
set SYSTEM [lindex $argv 0]
set USER [lindex $argv 1]
set PASSWORD [lindex $argv 2]

set AUTOHOME "/etc/scripts/automation"
set TRIGDIR "/etc/scripts/automation/.engine_triggers"
set CTRIGDIR "/etc/scripts/automation/.client_triggers"

spawn /usr/bin/sftp $USER@$SYSTEM
expect "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?"
send "yes \r"
expect "password:"
send "$PASSWORD \r"
expect "sftp> "
send "put $CTRIGDIR/command $TRIGDIR \r"
expect "sftp> "
send "bye \r"
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating sftp script

I have to write an automated sftp script which uses password authentication method to access the remote server. I want to pass the password as a parameter or to be included in the script itself, so that when i run the sftp script, it should not prompt me to enter the password. Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect + cronjob + SFTP

Hi all, i got a really strange problem i wrote a script, when i run this script manually everything works fine but when i make a cronjob for it, with the same user, the EXPECT script will not work. Only the first line will be executed this is the SHell bash script #!/bin/sh; php -q... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitac
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Expect SFTP script

Hi All, Here is my Expect script, I don't get any error message when I run it. But the file never goes to other system? I also paste the output screen below. When I run the script, the script runs so fast. But when I do it manually, it takes about 10 minutes for the file to transfer. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samnyc
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Issues with automating SFTP

Hi We are trying to set up a non-interactive sftp to one of our clients to be able to transfer files to them. For the setup I logged into server1 as user1 and generated RSA public and private keys id_rsa and id_rsa.pub. Then I did an sftp to server2 as user2 and put the id_rsa.pub in the .ssh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnparo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems when automating sftp

Hi Guys, I am working on a shell script, which gets log files from a windows machine. Problem: 1. My server doesn't support FTP, so i am using SFTP 2. I am not able to automate sftp using public key generation technique, because i need to access many windows machines using this script. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajhydprag
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem automating sFTP transfer using script in cron

Hi Newbie here I am having problems with automating sFTP transfers. Just to save time - SCP is not an option as sFTP is stipulated by controllers of far end server. Ineed to automate sFTP transfer of a single file, once a day to a remote server to which i have no control over. I am using:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbien
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect to automate sftp

I am trying to use a for loop in my expect cmdFile that I am calling. I want to be able to call either one file name or a series of file names in the working directory (that I won't know the names before hand) and then pass the names to the sftp program. Something like for i in (ls *txt) do (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedder191
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with automating SFTP command

Hi All, I am currently looking at automating the steps that I follow to download log files from putty to desktop. I connect to a client's machine through citrix desktop. I am required to download quite a number of application logs to identfiy the issues in production. Steps that is being... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krackjack84
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in automating "fdisk" command using send and expect

hi i want to automate fdisk command . i spawned a process containing fdisk command from a process and tried to send the options to fdisk promt from that process. but that spawed process is notstarting itself help me out trying for two days :wall: my code: #!/bin/bash echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagak89
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to do SFTP using expect

Hi, I am trying to sftp using expect, but not getting through as it prompt for password is coming Following is the code #/usr/bin/expect > output.log sftp medcdr@10.130.254.50 expect "password:" send "Med@Cdr12\n" expect "sftp>" send "put ZTE_*201505*\r" expect "sftp>" send "bye\r"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
7 Replies
SFTP-SERVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SFTP-SERVER(8)

NAME
sftp-server -- SFTP server subsystem SYNOPSIS
sftp-server [-ehR] [-d start_directory] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-P blacklisted_requests] [-p whitelisted_requests] [-u umask] sftp-server -Q protocol_feature DESCRIPTION
sftp-server is a program that speaks the server side of SFTP protocol to stdout and expects client requests from stdin. sftp-server is not intended to be called directly, but from sshd(8) using the Subsystem option. Command-line flags to sftp-server should be specified in the Subsystem declaration. See sshd_config(5) for more information. Valid options are: -d start_directory specifies an alternate starting directory for users. The pathname may contain the following tokens that are expanded at runtime: %% is replaced by a literal '%', %d is replaced by the home directory of the user being authenticated, and %u is replaced by the user- name of that user. The default is to use the user's home directory. This option is useful in conjunction with the sshd_config(5) ChrootDirectory option. -e Causes sftp-server to print logging information to stderr instead of syslog for debugging. -f log_facility Specifies the facility code that is used when logging messages from sftp-server. The possible values are: DAEMON, USER, AUTH, LOCAL0, LOCAL1, LOCAL2, LOCAL3, LOCAL4, LOCAL5, LOCAL6, LOCAL7. The default is AUTH. -h Displays sftp-server usage information. -l log_level Specifies which messages will be logged by sftp-server. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. INFO and VERBOSE log transactions that sftp-server performs on behalf of the client. DEBUG and DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of debugging output. The default is ERROR. -P blacklisted_requests Specify a comma-separated list of SFTP protocol requests that are banned by the server. sftp-server will reply to any blacklisted request with a failure. The -Q flag can be used to determine the supported request types. If both a blacklist and a whitelist are specified, then the blacklist is applied before the whitelist. -p whitelisted_requests Specify a comma-separated list of SFTP protocol requests that are permitted by the server. All request types that are not on the whitelist will be logged and replied to with a failure message. Care must be taken when using this feature to ensure that requests made implicitly by SFTP clients are permitted. -Q protocol_feature Query protocol features supported by sftp-server. At present the only feature that may be queried is ``requests'', which may be used for black or whitelisting (flags -P and -p respectively). -R Places this instance of sftp-server into a read-only mode. Attempts to open files for writing, as well as other operations that change the state of the filesystem, will be denied. -u umask Sets an explicit umask(2) to be applied to newly-created files and directories, instead of the user's default mask. On some systems, sftp-server must be able to access /dev/log for logging to work, and use of sftp-server in a chroot configuration therefore requires that syslogd(8) establish a logging socket inside the chroot directory. SEE ALSO
sftp(1), ssh(1), sshd_config(5), sshd(8) T. Ylonen and S. Lehtinen, SSH File Transfer Protocol, draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02.txt, October 2001, work in progress material. HISTORY
sftp-server first appeared in OpenBSD 2.8. AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> BSD
December 11, 2014 BSD