Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users moving multiple files --recursively using BSD Post 83169 by moxxx68 on Monday 12th of September 2005 07:41:53 AM
Old 09-12-2005
Quote:
Not using FreeBSD , but if the following find command can display the files you want to move .
find ./dir -type f -iname "*.t[argz]*[bz2]" -print
then you might try this
#find ./dir -type f -iname "*.t[argz]*[bz2]" -print > /tmp/file.list
#tar cvf - `cat /tmp/file.list` | ( cd /target_dir;tar xvf - )
now you just have to remove the old files .
this worked to a certain extent but this command does the same thing although it is not quite what
i am looking for..
find . ./dir -type f -iname "*.t[argz]*[bz]2" -depth -print | cpio --null -pvd ./target-directory
this will do exactly what you did using tar... but still doesn't extract the files only.. my main
concern in the filesystem that I am using is speed since it is a large filesystem and has many
changes applied daily to the files.. using the above methods means i must go in and individually
extract each file one by one.. i think due to my using linux's "xargs mv --target-directory=./"
option using find all the time I may have over looked a few options that are basically simple
or too obvious .. . just for clarification i understand that only the selected files are transfrered
to the desired directory but they are still archived in their original directories since the all
the directories are transfered too empty or not.. what I need is to transfer just the files through
an extraction method to one said directory.. .
thanx moxxx68 Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving and renaming multiple files

Greetings, I know i can use the mv command to move and rename one file. How can I do this with multiple files? example pic01.bmp to pic0001.bmp how can i perform this function on an entire directory of sequential files and keep them in sequence? Hints, suggestions are most welcome:) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocinante
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving multiple files and renaming them on the fly

Hi All, Being new to scripting I am facing a new situation. We have an application that generates a file lets say dumpfile for each user under the users home directory when they execute the application. This is quite a huge file and imagine having that for over 40 users on a daily basis. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daemongk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using mv command for moving multiple files in a folder

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to move Bunch of folders containing multiple files to another archive location. i want to use mv command .I am thinking when we use mv command to move directory does it create directory 1st and then move all the files ? e.g source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkmbcbs
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in moving files recursively

Hi, I have d1,d2,d3 directories / /home/abc/d1 /home/abc/d2 /home/abc/d3 d1,d2 and d3 also have subdirctories. d1-->d11-->d12 d2-->d22-->d23 d3-->d33-->d34 All these directories have files like date_filename.txt so I want to find the files recusively for a particular date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip multiple files recursively via UNIX

Hello, After searching, I didn't find any answer to execute my task. Her what I want to achieve on my MAC : Create a ZIP file (not tar.gz or other) from a file I want the ZIP created to have the name of the original file I want to do this on multiple files (314 exactly) So at the end the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anou
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Moving multiple files based on the pattern

I want to search for a particular file name patterns and move them to a specific folder, is it possible to do it with awk or sed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] moving multiple files? mv

HI I have a list of files that are incorrectely names and I need to move them to new name .. I tried few things that has not worked so far can you help ? I need to rename all thes eifle ( tere are over 100 ) xldn0357bap.orig.new xldn0389bap.orig.new xldn0439bap.orig.new... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving and renaming multiple files in a directory

Hi. I am trying to automate the movement and renaming of a number of files in a directory. I am using the 'mv' command as I do not have access to 'rename'. I have the following scripted FILES=$(ls /transfer/move/sys/mail/20130123/) if ; then for i in ${FILES} ; do mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving multiple datestamped files (Linux)

Hello all, I'm writing a script that will allow me to move files into a sub-directory for archiving. These files, specifically, are output files that result at the end of a process. The issue I'm having is that while moving files from one place to another is relatively an easy task, grabbing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search/Replace in multiple files recursively

Hi there, I am using AIX and trying to search and replace a string with another string in multiple files in different directories. I wanted to search replace in steps so I don't change all of the instance anywhere in the server at once, minimizing impact. STEP 1: -------- I first searched... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaino22
5 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - archiver SYNOPSIS
tar key [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores file trees. It is most often used to transport a tree of files from one system to another. The key is a string that contains at most one function letter plus optional modifiers. Other arguments to the command are names of files or directories to be dumped or restored. A directory name implies all the contained files and subdirectories (recursively). The function is one of the following letters: c Create a new archive with the given files as contents. x Extract the named files from the archive. If a file is a directory, the directory is extracted recursively. Modes are restored if possible. If no file argument is given, extract the entire archive. If the archive contains multiple entries for a file, the lat- est one wins. t List all occurrences of each file in the archive, or of all files if there are no file arguments. r The named files are appended to the archive. The modifiers are: v (verbose) Print the name of each file treated preceded by the function letter. With t, give more details about the archive entries. f Use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of the default standard input (for keys x and t) or standard output (for keys c and r). u Use the next (numeric) argument as the user id for files in the output archive. This is only useful when moving files to a non-Plan 9 system. g Use the next (numeric) argument as the group id for files in the output archive. EXAMPLES
Tar can be used to copy hierarchies thus: {cd fromdir; tar c .} | {cd todir; tar x} SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tar.c SEE ALSO
ar(1), bundle(1), tapefs(1) BUGS
There is no way to ask for any but the last occurrence of a file. File path names are limited to 100 characters. The tar format allows specification of links and symbolic links, concepts foreign to Plan 9: they are ignored. TAR(1)