Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users moving multiple files --recursively using BSD Post 82823 by lingam on Wednesday 7th of September 2005 01:51:24 AM
Old 09-07-2005
Not using FreeBSD , Smilie but if the following find command can display the files you want to move .
find ./dir -type f -iname "*.t[argz]*[bz2]" -print
then you might try this
#find ./dir -type f -iname "*.t[argz]*[bz2]" -print > /tmp/file.list
#tar cvf - `cat /tmp/file.list` | ( cd /target_dir;tar xvf - )
now you just have to remove the old files .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving and renaming multiple files

Greetings, I know i can use the mv command to move and rename one file. How can I do this with multiple files? example pic01.bmp to pic0001.bmp how can i perform this function on an entire directory of sequential files and keep them in sequence? Hints, suggestions are most welcome:) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocinante
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving multiple files and renaming them on the fly

Hi All, Being new to scripting I am facing a new situation. We have an application that generates a file lets say dumpfile for each user under the users home directory when they execute the application. This is quite a huge file and imagine having that for over 40 users on a daily basis. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daemongk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using mv command for moving multiple files in a folder

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to move Bunch of folders containing multiple files to another archive location. i want to use mv command .I am thinking when we use mv command to move directory does it create directory 1st and then move all the files ? e.g source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkmbcbs
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in moving files recursively

Hi, I have d1,d2,d3 directories / /home/abc/d1 /home/abc/d2 /home/abc/d3 d1,d2 and d3 also have subdirctories. d1-->d11-->d12 d2-->d22-->d23 d3-->d33-->d34 All these directories have files like date_filename.txt so I want to find the files recusively for a particular date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip multiple files recursively via UNIX

Hello, After searching, I didn't find any answer to execute my task. Her what I want to achieve on my MAC : Create a ZIP file (not tar.gz or other) from a file I want the ZIP created to have the name of the original file I want to do this on multiple files (314 exactly) So at the end the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anou
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Moving multiple files based on the pattern

I want to search for a particular file name patterns and move them to a specific folder, is it possible to do it with awk or sed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] moving multiple files? mv

HI I have a list of files that are incorrectely names and I need to move them to new name .. I tried few things that has not worked so far can you help ? I need to rename all thes eifle ( tere are over 100 ) xldn0357bap.orig.new xldn0389bap.orig.new xldn0439bap.orig.new... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving and renaming multiple files in a directory

Hi. I am trying to automate the movement and renaming of a number of files in a directory. I am using the 'mv' command as I do not have access to 'rename'. I have the following scripted FILES=$(ls /transfer/move/sys/mail/20130123/) if ; then for i in ${FILES} ; do mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving multiple datestamped files (Linux)

Hello all, I'm writing a script that will allow me to move files into a sub-directory for archiving. These files, specifically, are output files that result at the end of a process. The issue I'm having is that while moving files from one place to another is relatively an easy task, grabbing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search/Replace in multiple files recursively

Hi there, I am using AIX and trying to search and replace a string with another string in multiple files in different directories. I wanted to search replace in steps so I don't change all of the instance anywhere in the server at once, minimizing impact. STEP 1: -------- I first searched... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaino22
5 Replies
BZNEW(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZNEW(1)

NAME
bznew - recompress .gz or .tgz files to .bz2 files SYNOPSIS
bznew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.gz ... ] DESCRIPTION
Bznew recompresses files from .gz (gzip) format to .bz2 (bzip2) format. If you want to recompress a file already in bzip2 format, rename the file to force a .bz2 extension then apply bznew. OPTIONS
-f Force recompression from .gz to .bz2 format even if a .bz2 file already exists. -t Tests the new files before deleting originals. -v Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed. -9 Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression). -P Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage. -K Keep a .gz file when it is smaller than the .bz2 file SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), gzip(1) BUGS
Bznew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod(1) is not available and touch(1) does not support the -r option. BZNEW(1)