Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sleep less than 1 second
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sleep less than 1 second Post 81771 by bjorno on Wednesday 24th of August 2005 02:32:28 AM
Old 08-24-2005
I dont have usleep in my system, which is AIX 5.2.
Is there a compiled version of usleep to download. I think I'm not able
to compile it myself.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep

what is the purpose of the sleep command? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep under one second

If I want a script to sleep for less than a second, would I use a decimal? In other words, if I wanted my script to sleep for 1/4 of a second, would I say, SLEEP .25 ?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
5 Replies

3. Programming

Sleep() not working

I have a function that quits a program when <ctrl>c is entered as per following code; void quitter (void) { clear (); mvprintw (QUITTER_ROW, QUITTER_COL, "Quitting..."); refresh (); sleep (15); endwin (); exit (1); }This function is called thus; signal (SIGINT, quitter); It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep Command

I am in need of some help; think I have confused myself. Here is the issue I am faced with. The script log file was fine, the nohup.out file has tens of thousands of lines like illegal use of sleep: sleep seconds So I assume there is something with the seconds calculation in the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glove
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep command

Hi All I have a requiremnt to run a script inside another script. here i am pulling the record count from the table in oracle.If record count is greater than 0 the script is executed.The scripts updates the count in the table and again the count is found out and the condition is checked and same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep infinity

This might be one of the dumbest questions you've got, but please bear with me: I am a UNIX beginner. I had an test today and I was asked the following question: Q. How do you put the terminal into sleep indefinitely? I didn't know the answer, but after I came home, I tried the following... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: indyxandy
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sleep Until Query

Hi, I am a newbie in UNIX please help me develop code for below logic:-- I want my script to implement sleep until a specified time(date doesn't matter) ---------------------------------------- While currenttime > 14:00 and < 18:00 sleep end while run command exit... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiitmale
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep while i > 0

Hi, I have a script that runs a process at the beginning and I want to sleep/wait until this process is finished and then continue with the rest of the script. I am trying with this, but it is not working: process=`ps -ef | grep "proc_p01 -c" | grep -v grep | wc -l` if ; do sleep 10 done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
7 Replies
USLEEP(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 USLEEP(3)

NAME
usleep - suspend execution for interval SYNOPSIS
usleep(useconds) unsigned useconds; DESCRIPTION
The current process is suspended from execution for the number of microseconds specified by the argument. The actual suspension time may be an arbitrary amount longer because of other activity in the system or because of the time spent in processing the call. The routine is implemented by setting an interval timer and pausing until it occurs. The previous state of this timer is saved and restored. If the sleep time exceeds the time to the expiration of the previous timer, the process sleeps only until the signal would have occurred, and the signal is sent a short time later. This routine is implemented using setitimer(2); it requires eight system calls each time it is invoked. A similar but less compatible function can be obtained with a single select(2); it would not restart after signals, but would not interfere with other uses of setitimer. SEE ALSO
setitimer(2), getitimer(2), sigpause(2), ualarm(3), sleep(3), alarm(3) NOTES (PDP-11) On the PDP-11, setitimer(2) rounds the number of microseconds up to seconds resolution, therefore usleep doesn't give you any more resolu- tion than sleep(3). Select(2) offers clock resolution (usually 60Hz in the U.S.A. and 50Hz elsewhere) and so should be used instead. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution August 26, 1988 USLEEP(3)