Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sar log management
Operating Systems Solaris sar log management Post 81323 by csaunders on Thursday 18th of August 2005 09:41:53 AM
Old 08-18-2005
sar log management

Im trying to manage solaris sar files, where are the log files kept, and do I need
to delete them or are they cicular log files? Essentially do I need to manage them...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

sar

We have a script that uses sar -u 1 10 | awk '/Average/ { print ( $2 + $3 ) }' to get the CPU usage of a mutli engine machine. We think we are getting wrong information from the above string. We think it is adding up the total of the 12 engines and reporting back the total not the overall... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinb
5 Replies

2. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Sar

Hey guys in sar -v 5 5 command what is the proc means. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbn
1 Replies

4. AIX

sar

I am trying to set up sar on my AIX server. We have been running sar and getting reports on out Linux boxes in the past but would like to try to do the same in AIX. On my Linux i have a sar.sh that looks like this: #!/bin/bash LC_ALL=C sar -A -f /var/log/sa/sa27 > /server023.txt LC_ALL=C sar -A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seacros
1 Replies

5. AIX

SAR

I am running below script to display last 48 hour data but the output is not displaying heading - AIX eqrdb26u1 1 6 00CFD5E34C00 01/21/10 System configuration: lcpu=8 ent=2.00 mode=Uncapped 22:31:40 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc and footer - Average 25 9 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noorm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Management

In a cluster there are 4 servers namely, Master-1,Master2,Slave-1,Slave-2 The logs of these servers are saved in a specific location- /nas/archive/"under the specific server name". I need to take the logs of each server,archive it and put it in another location according to the servers.can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lekha Rajesh
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Audit.log Management

Hi, I'm fairly new to administering RedHat (or any Linux system for that matter), and was wondering if someone could help me work out how to best manage audit logs. In a nutshell, this is what I need to do: - Compress audit.log file(s) once a month and delete the originals - The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seonix
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sar during a test

Hi All, I am trying to run sar on a Redhat server during a test I am performing for a couple of hours. I would like to get the sar metrics for every second (instead of the regularly set up 10 minute interval in the cron). What is the most efficient way to do this? Thanks, Shahzad (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleo
6 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Individual Risk Management (Personal IT Security) and Browser Cache Management

Original post from this thread on browser caching. To add to this, it is an effective security measure to clear absolutely all cached data (cookies, web content, ....) when closing the browser - i.e. in case of a shutdown. It takes a bit of work to re-login to all the sites but websites will not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
7 Replies
smf_security(5)                                         Standards, Environments, and Macros                                        smf_security(5)

NAME
smf_security - service management facility security behavior DESCRIPTION
The configuration subsystem for the service management facility, smf(5), requires privilege to modify the configuration of a service. Priv- ileges are granted to a user by associating the authorizations described below to the user through user_attr(4) and prof_attr(4). See rbac(5). The following authorization is used to manipulate services and service instances. solaris.smf.modify Authorized to add, delete, or modify services, service instances, or their properties. Property Group Authorizations The smf(5) configuration subsystem associates properties with each service and service instance. Related properties are grouped. Groups may represent an execution method, credential information, application data, or restarter state. The ability to create or modify property groups can cause smf(5) components to perform actions that may require operating system privilege. Accordingly, the framework requires appropriate authorization to manipulate property groups. Each property group has a type corresponding to its purpose. The core property group types are method, dependency, application, and frame- work. Additional property group types can be introduced, provided they conform to the extended naming convention in smf(5). The following basic authorizations, however, apply only to the core property group types: solaris.smf.modify.method Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type method. solaris.smf.modify.dependency Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type dependency. solaris.smf.modify.application Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type application. solaris.smf.modify.framework Authorized to change values or create, delete, or modify a property group of type framework. solaris.smf.modify Authorized to add, delete, or modify services, service instances, or their properties. Property group-specific authorization can be specified by properties contained in the property group. modify_authorization Authorizations allow the addition, deletion, or modification of properties within the property group. value_authorization Authorizations allow changing the values of any property of the property group except modify_authorization. The above authorization properties are only used if they have type astring. If an instance property group does not have one of the proper- ties, but the instance's service has a property group of the same name with the property, its values are used. Service Action Authorization Certain actions on service instances may result in service interruption or deactivation. These actions require an authorization to ensure that any denial of service is a deliberate administrative action. Such actions include a request for execution of the refresh or restart methods, or placement of a service instance in the maintenance or other non-operational state. The following authorization allows such actions to be requested: solaris.smf.manage Authorized to request restart, refresh, or other state modification of any service instance. In addition, the general/action_authorization property can specify additional authorizations that permit service actions to be requested for that service instance. The solaris.smf.manage authorization is required to modify this property. Defined Rights Profiles Two rights profiles are included that offer grouped authorizations for manipulating typical smf(5) operations. Service Management A service manager can manipulate any service in the repository in any way. It corresponds to the solaris.smf.manage and solaris.smf.modify authorizations. The service management profile is the minimum required to use the pkgadd(1M) or pkgrm(1M) commands to add or remove software packages that contain an inventory of services in its service manifest. Service Operator A service operator has the ability to enable or disable any service instance on the system, as well as request that its restart or refresh method be executed. It corresponds to the solaris.smf.manage and solaris.smf.modify.framework authorizations. Sites can define additional rights profiles customized to their needs. Remote Repository Modification Remote repository servers may deny modification attempts due to additional privilege checks. See NOTES. SEE ALSO
auths(1), profiles(1), pkgadd(1M), pkgrm(1M), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), rbac(5), smf(5) NOTES
The present version of smf(5) does not support remote repositories. SunOS 5.10 2 Dec 04 smf_security(5)