Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file update
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file update Post 80835 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 12th of August 2005 10:33:41 AM
Old 08-12-2005
Why don't you give us a bit of background...on your job and what you are trying to do...

It would help greatly to understand where you are coming from.

To edit a file simply open it with vi... then edit it and :wq! to save it thereby updating it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

update a file with values from other file in shell bash

Hello I need to write a shell script to update properties between files. I have 2 files as follow: file1 urlWebserviceCheckAddress^=McoConfigGlobal.commonGLOBALUrlWebservice file 2 urlWebserviceCheckAddress=http://localhost:8080/tags Both files containt the same properties... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: teodora
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to update a file

-Hi, I have several hundred files, which contain the following pattern: /bb/bin/msga/mm 80& I need to change the above pattern to be /bb/bin/mm 80& I there the command I can use to do that. Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync - update file on backup when file renamed on source

hi all, Please help me with rsync. I configured rsync to preserve timestamps using the -a option. When i renamed fileA to fileB on source machine I have to copies at the backup server. The aim is to keep the most recent file. fileA & fileB has same contents. When i renamed fileB to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

4. Programming

MYSQL - trigger update on record insert or update

Right I have a MYSQL database with table1 with 3 columns, colA, colB and colC. I want to combine the data in the 3 columns into a 4th column names col_comb. Here's the SQL command that works: UPDATE table1 SET `col_comb` = CONCAT( `colA` , ' - ', `colB` , ', ', `colC` ); So now I want this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file

Gents Please can you help. file1 43067.00 49301.00 314999999 43067.00 49157.00 313888888 43065.00 49157.00 313777777 43063.00 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field in file based of match to another file

In the perl below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 (last field) in file2, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file with sum of matching fields in another file

In the awk below I am trying to add a penalty to a score to each matching $1 in file2 based on the sum of $3+$4 (variable TL) from file1. Then the $4 value in file1 is divided by TL and multiplied by 100 (this valvue is variable S). Finally, $2 in file2 - S gives the updated $2 result in file2.... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file from one directory and update the list file once moved.

Dears, I have a listfile contains list of files path. i need to read the line of the listfile mv the file to other directory and update the listfile by deleting the lines of the listfile. #!/bin/bash target=/fstest/INVESTIG/Sadiq/TEST_ARCH while read -r line || ]; do mv $line... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
19 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)						CDBS Documentation						CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
cdbs-edit-patch - create or edit a CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch SYNOPSIS
cdbs-edit-patch patchname DESCRIPTION
cdbs-edit-patch creates or edits patches for use by the CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch system. For more information about CDBS please see the documentation under /usr/share/doc/cdbs/. When patchname exists, cdbs-edit-patch will set up a temporary working source tree, apply all patches up to and including patchname in lex- icographic order, and spawn an interactive shell for the developer. The developer can then edit files in this working tree. When the developer is done and exits the shell, cdbs-edit-patch updates patchname to reflect the changes made. To abort the process from the inter- active shell, exit with a nonzero exit value. When patchname does not exist, cdbs-edit-patch will assume that a new patch should be created. As with the above scenario, cdbs-edit-patch will first create a temporary working source tree and apply all patches up to the new patch in lexicographic order. When the shell is quit, cdbs-edit-patch will create patchname. AUTHOR
CDBS was written by Colin Walters and others. cdbs-edit-patch was written by Martin Pitt. This manual page was written by Peter Eisen- traut based on the dpatch-edit-patch(1) manual page. SEE ALSO
CDBS documentation in /usr/share/doc/cdbs/, /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk, dpatch-edit-patch(1), quilt(1) Debian 5 Feb 2006 CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)