Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing substring from a string Post 79584 by dmilks on Thursday 28th of July 2005 03:01:50 PM
Old 07-28-2005
Removing substring from a string

Hi. I want to remove a substring from a string. If I use the "tr" command, it doesn't seem to to what I want it to:

echo './somestring.dat' | tr -d './'
results in
somestringdat

I want it to remove only occurances of the string './', rather than the individual character. The result should be: somestring.dat

How do I do this?

Thanks,
- Dylan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring from a string

hi all, I am trying to extract SUBSTRINGS out of a string using ksh. The string is "SAPR3K.FD0.FA.TJ.B0010.T050302" I tried using a= `expr substr $stringZ 1 2` which is giving me a syntax error, donno why?? any ideas why its not working?? I also tried echo "welcome" | awk '{... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maradona
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the substring from the string

Hi All, Can anybody help me to get the substring from the given string. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substring from string

Hi All, Problem Description: XML_REP_REQUEST=`CONCSUB "$LOGIN" "SQLAP" "$RESP_NAME" "$USRNM" WAIT="Y" "CONCURRENT" "APPLICATION_SHORT_NAME" "CP_SHORT_NAME"` echo Report Request: $XML_REP_REQUEST --to print value in log file While execution the value of 'XML_REP_REQUEST' is 'Prozess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman.g
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string and substring also I/O

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf PASSWD=/etc/passwd $PRINTF "Enter a UserID\n" read USERID if ; then $PRINTF "$USERID does not exist, please contact IT service\n" exit 1 fi USERHOME=`grep "^$USERID:" $PASSWD | awk -F : '{print $6}'` USERSHELL=`grep "^$USERID:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in string with whitespaces

hello, i have this string: variable="1234 /PARAMETER_1:text /PARAMETER_2:othertext" i tried to do expr match $variable '.*\(*\)' but i keep getting expr error i need to extract the word text... thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aloush89
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string with its substring

Hi All, Below is some sample content of my input file: There are many types and traditions of anarchism, some of which are ]. Strains of anarchism have been divided into the categories of ] and ] or similar dual classifications. Anarchism is often considered to be a radical ] ideology, and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkumar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a substring from string

Good morning friends, how can i remove a string with linux scripting from a file? In specific i want to remove from a file all the tweet names and links eg @aerta and links such as http://dst.co/pIiu3i9c Thanx!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming batch by removing substring

I wish to rename all files ending in .txt by removing .tex. Currently I have me@me-Inspiron-518:~$ ls a.tex.txt bin b.tex.txt c.tex.txt Desktop Documents Downloads d.tex.txt Music Pictures Public Templates VideosDesired outcome me@me-Inspiron-518:~$ ls a.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
textutil::tabify(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			       textutil::tabify(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::tabify - Procedures to (un)tabify strings SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::tabify ?0.7? ::textutil::tabify::tabify string ?num? ::textutil::tabify::tabify2 string ?num? ::textutil::tabify::untabify string ?num? ::textutil::tabify::untabify2 string ?num? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::tabify provides commands that convert between tabulation and ordinary whitespace in strings. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::tabify::tabify string ?num? Tabify the string by replacing any substring of num space chars by a tabulation and return the result as a new string. num defaults to 8. ::textutil::tabify::tabify2 string ?num? Similar to ::textutil::tabify this command tabifies the string and returns the result as a new string. A different algorithm is used however. Instead of replacing any substring of num spaces this command works more like an editor. num defaults to 8. Each line of the text in string is treated as if there are tabstops every num columns. Only sequences of space characters containing more than one space character and found immediately before a tabstop are replaced with tabs. ::textutil::tabify::untabify string ?num? Untabify the string by replacing any tabulation char by a substring of num space chars and return the result as a new string. num defaults to 8. ::textutil::tabify::untabify2 string ?num? Untabify the string by replacing any tabulation char by a substring of at most num space chars and return the result as a new string. Unlike textutil::tabify::untabify each tab is not replaced by a fixed number of space characters. The command overlays each line in the string with tabstops every num columns instead and replaces tabs with just enough space characters to reach the next tabstop. This is the complement of the actions taken by ::textutil::tabify::tabify2. num defaults to 8. There is one asymmetry though: A tab can be replaced with a single space, but not the other way around. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
formatting, string, tabstops CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7 textutil::tabify(n)