Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: determining open ports
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users determining open ports Post 78163 by cha.cha on Saturday 16th of July 2005 03:24:33 AM
Old 07-16-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
hi all
1) how to determine available ports in a box (solaris)
Another option is nmap. You can use that to check open ports on other machines on your network as well.

]$ nmap -p 1-$MAX_PORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
2) how to block a particular port for a particular type of connection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Use netfilter's iptables utility

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

closing open ports

/* Linux Slackware */ Nmap shows the following ports open on the gateway. 21/tcp ftp 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet 25/tcp smtp 37/tcp time 80/tcp http 113/tcp auth 515/tcp printer 587/tcp submission 1024/tcp kdm 6000/tcp x11 ------------------------------- i would like to close as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
10 Replies

2. Linux

How To Open Ports in RedHat ?

how can i open ports i need in red hat server vs root access ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sirius
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check open ports every ...

Hello, i need a script (bash type maybe?..), which would check open ports on 127.0.0.1 and then compare open ports with "registered/allowed" port list and try to kill the program who uses unregistered ports. It would be great that script would be started lets say every 5 or 10 minutes. You see i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MorchiuS
2 Replies

4. AIX

Open Ports on System

Hi Every body, What is the command on AIX 5.2 that can be used to get all open ports? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
2 Replies

5. Solaris

open ports solaris 8

Hello, I have a number of Solaris 8 Sun servers that have open ports that I cannot identify. I see some with 1013-1023 (which are reserved ports according to the IANA. Lsof does not identify these. I rebooted the server and they went off, but this morning I saw they were all back on again. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Help determining what's blocking ports

I'm fairly new to networking and am trying to figure our network out, as I was recently assigned to be network administrator where I work. I was trying to get utorrent to work but am not having success in figuring out what's blocking my ports. As of now, I'm getting connected from a mikrotik... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandonros
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Open ports in solaris 10

hi guys, may i know the exact steps to open a port in solaris.i have some rough idea - which is adding the port number in /etc/services. but i am not sure the correct conventions, steps or any other steps. kindly advise.thanks guys ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open ports and services

just a quick question: a. whats the simplest command to check open port and the corresponding services? example: bash-2.05# netstat -an | grep LISTEN *.199 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN *.8989 *.* 0 0 49152 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Open/close of ports

Hi, I have read some forum theads about the open and close ports. some points are clear and it is not working on my machine or something am i missing? I have commented out a port /etc/services, one application uses then when i use the telnet <hostname> <port_blocked> it shows connected..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balamv
1 Replies
APLAYMIDI(1)						      General Commands Manual						      APLAYMIDI(1)

NAME
aplaymidi - play Standard MIDI Files SYNOPSIS
aplaymidi -p client:port[,...] [-d delay] midifile ... DESCRIPTION
aplaymidi is a command-line utility that plays the specified MIDI file(s) to one or more ALSA sequencer ports. OPTIONS
-h, --help Prints a list of options. -V, --version Prints the current version. -l, --list Prints a list of possible output ports. -p, --port=client:port,... Sets the sequencer port(s) to which the events in the MIDI file(s) are sent. A client can be specified by its number, its name, or a prefix of its name. A port is specified by its number; for port 0 of a client, the ":0" part of the port specification can be omitted. Multiple ports can be specified to allow playback of MIDI file(s) that contain events for multiple devices (ports), as specified by "Port Number" meta events. For compatibility with pmidi(1), the port specification is taken from the ALSA_OUTPUT_PORTS environment variable if none is given on the command line. -d, --delay=seconds Specifies how long to wait after the end of each MIDI file, to allow the last notes to die away. BUGS
aplaymidi handles "Port Number" meta events, but not "Port Name" meta events. SEE ALSO
pmidi(1) playmidi(1) AUTHOR
Clemens Ladisch <clemens@ladisch.de> 2 Nov 2011 APLAYMIDI(1)