Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing output of sed/echo to a variable Post 77834 by donflamenco on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 08:56:47 AM
Old 07-13-2005
Passing output of sed/echo to a variable

I understand how to use a variable in a sed command, but for the life of me I can't get the output into a variable.
I'm making a general function to replace part of a filename with a different string, so:
>>myscript this that

would change:
this_file001.txt to that_file001.txt and
this_file002.txt to that_file002.txt and so on...

here's what I have:
#! /bin/csh -f
foreach i ($1*)
set j = echo $i|sed 's/'$1'/'$2'/'
echo "Moving $i to $j"
#mv $i $j
end

But it gives me a syntax error. I played around with using eval but that wouldn't work for me either. Suggestions? (preferably without taking a new approach to my problem even though I'm sure there are other/better ways to do it)
Thanks....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable passing to sed

I m trying to pass variable to sed. export var=140920060731 sed -e '/$var/d' file but no luch so far..? any body has any idea abt it Is there any way to pass variable to SED? Thanks , Manish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish Jha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing output to variable instead of file

Hi, In normal shell scripting, how do you pass the output of a command to a variable, instead of a file and be able to use it later? The code is: #!/bin/bash who | cut -d" " -f1 > onlineusers Instead of passing the output of the above command to the file called 'onlineusers'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Furqan_79
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variable in sed

Dear All, I want to print a file. First I tried with this sed '2q;d' filename it worked. But when i put following it is not working x=2; sed '$xq;d' filename Would any one suggest how to pass the variable? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saifurshaon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output from echo & cut into variable

Hi All, Hope someone can advise here as I have been struggling to find a syntax that works here. I have tried a stack of combination I have seed in the forums but I think because I have needed to use "" and `` in the statments another method is found. I am reading in lines with the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable ECHO $((SED...

Hi, I'm new here so I want to say hello to everyone first! I searched google and this forum for a similar problem, but wasn't successful #! /bin/bash I'm trying to output (echo) n lines of a text file to the screen (later into another file). But I have problem with the sed command, it won't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: studiologe
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot pass a echo output to a variable in bash

Hi, I have a problem with passing a echo output into a variable in bash file='1990.tar' NAME='echo $file | cut -d '.' -f1'; echo $NAME the result is echo $file | cut -d . -f1 however with this one,#!/bin/bash file='1990.tar' echo $file | cut -d '.' -f1 the result is what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1988PF
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending Sed/Echo output to Variable

I have a variable $WORDS that contains a string Then i want to use sed to break it up. echo $WORDS | sed 's// /g' I tried setting this as a variable by doing WORDS2=`echo $WORDS | sed 's// /g'` But when i do this it does not return me to the prompt properly ie. jmpprd-v1> jmpprd-v1>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo awk output from its variable

Stumped with the formatting of the awk output when used with variables, e.g.: awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print {$2,$3,$4}' $infile1 produces the desired output (with rows), but when echoing the variable below, the output is one continuous line var1=$(awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing value of a variable in sed

Hi, I want to pass value of a variable track_line which is the line number to sed. Sed should print the lines starting from track_line till the last line of the file. I tried the below command but it is not working. sed -n '${track_line},$p' latest_log_file I tried using the below too but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinupadhyaya8
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)