Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Netstat
Special Forums IP Networking Netstat Post 7763 by loadc on Monday 1st of October 2001 10:22:22 PM
Old 10-01-2001
Lessee here....

You asked what the connections are:

the first poster answered that as well as I could, they are the connections to and fromyour box, the last column is the state of the "socket" (connection). these are FASCINATING things, and it always pays to know about them, Sys Admin did an excellent article this last year on socket states, look it up at their site, www.sysadminmag.com, I think

You also asked about knowing what the ports are doing:

again, the other posters covered this extremely well, lsof and ps are your friends here, as well as teh iptraf command, do a man on any or all of them and if you don't have lsof, I suggest getting it, it is very useful. You could also turn on promiscuous (?) mode on your interface with tcpdump/etherpeek/snoop/any other packet dumper, and look to see what is coming in, that is an education in networking in itself. Do a man on tcpdump, and you can learn more about ip traffic than you thought existed.

You also asked if closing the ports will do any harm:

That depends, are you connected on the port via telnet to your remote machine? If so, it would kill that session, you could also kill mail, and many other helpful connections to your machine, not to mention any servers listening on ports (these will be in a state of LISTEN).

Now, some also mentioned that you have to wait for a length of time before you can see the port be released and may reuse it again. this is true, but it is also usually a kernel parm taht is settable and can be cranked down to 5 seconds (or less on some platforms), be CAREFUL with this, it is dangerous to set your timeouts so low.....
Noe there is also an interactive way to kill these ports and NOT wait, WITHOUT the kernel parm; Dugsong put out a tool a while back called dsniff, it is a suite of some really wicked tools he used to figure out some networking things on his own system. There are some amazing things in there. One of the tools is tcpkill, it allows you to kill a socket on the localhost and NOT timeout the port, it just goes AWAY... very good programming...
He has made this available in the *BSD ports and packages, as well as at his site, which is quite interesting (when he isn't censoring it due to the DMCA...
www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff.html ought to get you there. I will warn you, this tool is very dangerous in the wrong hands, it was intended for learning and should be used with the respect due to it and it's author. Using it illegally would endanger eveyone else's access to it, not only your own, so think of others and use it wisely and respectfully... please.

Ciao

loadc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

netstat

Hi what is the command to see the process name/application name along with the port number, connection status ... netstat is not giving process/application name Is there any way to know which application is holding which port? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netstat command

Hi.., Now, I am reading about the netstat command and its implementation. I have doubts in some options and its functionalities, natstat - M (Which is described as display masqueraded connections), what it means? What is Forwarding Information Base.?(--fib) Thanks in advance,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
3 Replies

3. BSD

question about netstat

For FreeBSD I use this command to determine what ports are listenning netstat -an | grep LISTEN is there another way, perhaps another command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

netstat output

I can't tell what the output of the netstat command means. Is there anywhere that has this information? I tried the man pages, but they weren't helpful. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
3 Replies

5. Solaris

netstat -- what am i looking at?

Greetings to all, Here is a line of output from my netstat command cbp031.904 wdcprodhome.nfsd 98304 0 49640 0 ESTABLISHED The only thing i recognize is the unix machine "cbp031" but what is .904 and all the other data telling me? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

netstat command

Hi, In my project we use sftp with batch mode (password less) script in parallel for 14 sessions which connects to 2 different servers alternatively i.e. 7 connects to one server say server1 and the other 7 connects to say server 2. Now the problem is that these 14 sessions are run in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with netstat

Hi, I want to list the time for how long a secure connections last to my server/blade. i am using netstat command to get the same, but not sure how to get the time for how long connections is being ESTABLISHED. netstat -na | grep 'ESTABLISHED' | grep :443 |awk '{print $4}' | cut -d: -f1 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with a netstat command

Do I have this command correct to show all current connections/sessions my Solaris box has? It does not seem to do anything. netstat -an | grep EST (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

netstat

Hi Can any body tell me about TIME_WAIT status meaning in the following command output. # netstat -anp|grep 5000 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:50006 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5058/ccsd tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:50008 0.0.0.0:* ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
3 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

netstat

When running netstat -i from the Command Terminal, It returns with 21 different connections.. The addresses all look like this: ::1 fe80:1::1 10:dd:b1:a5:c4:ba with Network names like Linke#2 fe80::8e2d How can I delve deeper into this to clarify what is going on with my network?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwfiedler
0 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Remote(3pm)		 Perl Programmers Reference Guide	    CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Remote(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Remote - connect to a remote CPANPLUS SYNOPSIS
CPAN Terminal> /connect localhost 1337 --user=foo --pass=bar ... CPAN Terminal@localhost> /disconnect DESCRIPTION
This is a "CPANPLUS::Shell::Default" plugin that allows you to connect to a machine running an instance of "CPANPLUS::Daemon", allowing remote usage of the "CPANPLUS Shell". A sample session, updating all modules on a remote machine, might look like this: CPAN Terminal> /connect --user=my_user --pass=secret localhost 1337 Connection accepted Successfully connected to 'localhost' on port '11337' Note that no output will appear until a command has completed -- this may take a while CPAN Terminal@localhost> o; i * [....] CPAN Terminal@localhost> /disconnect CPAN Terminal> BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell, cpanp perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::Remote(3pm)