Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: signal handler for SIGCHLD
Top Forums Programming signal handler for SIGCHLD Post 76769 by blowtorch on Thursday 30th of June 2005 11:56:52 AM
Old 06-30-2005
jens,

Welcome to the UNIX forums!

To answer your questions:
1. sigaction and sigprocmask are just the syscalls that you need. sigaction will replace your signal syscall. Check the man pages for details.
2. Yes, since the child has already exited, the wait syscall will just reap the child and go on.

Moderators,
Could this be moved to the c programming forums?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script signal handler

AIX 4.3.3 I am trying to write a signal handler into a ksh shell script. I would like to capture the SIGTERM, SIGINT, and the SIGTSTP signals, print out a message to the terminal, and continue executing the script. I have found a way to block the signals: #! /bin/ksh SIGTERM=15 SIGINT=2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

catch SIGCHLD signal in parent process

I want to catch SIGCHLD signal in parent process. I can't use wait() system call to catch SIGCHLD according to project requirment. Operating system linux 3.1 can any one have a solution for this. Thanking you, ranjan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjan
2 Replies

3. Programming

signal handler problems

Hey guys, I am trying to write a little shell, and was writing a signal handler to handle SIGINT (I am using 'stty intr ^C' and using ctrl-C to give SIGINT). I wrote this signal handler: void handle_sigint() { write(2,"handling sigint\n",16); write(1,"\nshell% ",8); } ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
4 Replies

4. Programming

Runaway SIGALRM signal handler

I have written a program to demonstrate a problem I have encountered when using BSD style asynchronous input using the O_ASYNC flag in conjunction with a real time interval timer sending regular SIGALRM signals to the program. The SIGIO handler obeys all safe practices, using only an atomic update... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stewartw
8 Replies

5. Programming

Usage of exit() inside a signal handler

Is it ok to use exit() inside a signal handler? I catch SIGUSR1 in a signal handler and I try to close a file and then exit. The result is inconsistent. Sometimes the process exit and sometimes it returns to the original state before the signal handler was invoked. Perhaps exit is not legal in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuvia
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Problems with Signal Handler

I have a problem with signal handlers not working. I have a long 1000 line code and somehow this code for signal handling is not working: $SIG{INT} = \&interrupt; sub interrupt { print STDERR "Caught a control c!\n"; exit; # or just about anything else you'd want to do } Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
2 Replies

7. Programming

SIGCHLD interrupts its own handler

Hi. I have a program whose job it is to manage 15 child processes. Sometimes these children die (sometimes deliberately other times with a SEGV). This causes a SIGCHLD to be sent to my program which uses waitpid() in the signal handler to gather information and, in most cases, restart the child.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrichemont
3 Replies

8. Programming

Signal Handler Hangs

Hi, I have a problem with signal handler algorithm in linux. My code is hanging ( It is continuously looping inside the signal handler) . I am pasting my code here... Please provide me some help regarding this. I googled many places and wrote this code.. but doesnt seem to be working without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree_ec
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Signal Handler

I was working on some Perl code that does signal handling and I came across this one liner and wasn't sure what it was doing. local $SIG{__DIE__} = sub {$! = 2; die $_;}; I think the first part of the anonymous subroutine is setting $! to 2, but I am not sure what the second part is doing. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SFNYC
1 Replies

10. Programming

problem in doing coding of signal handler

i m unble to execute code of signal handler using a) Wait b) Waitpid (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhura
1 Replies
SIGPROCMASK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    SIGPROCMASK(2)

NAME
sigprocmask - examine and change blocked signals SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int sigprocmask(int how, const sigset_t *set, sigset_t *oldset); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): sigprocmask(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
sigprocmask() is used to fetch and/or change the signal mask of the calling thread. The signal mask is the set of signals whose delivery is currently blocked for the caller (see also signal(7) for more details). The behavior of the call is dependent on the value of how, as follows. SIG_BLOCK The set of blocked signals is the union of the current set and the set argument. SIG_UNBLOCK The signals in set are removed from the current set of blocked signals. It is permissible to attempt to unblock a signal which is not blocked. SIG_SETMASK The set of blocked signals is set to the argument set. If oldset is non-NULL, the previous value of the signal mask is stored in oldset. If set is NULL, then the signal mask is unchanged (i.e., how is ignored), but the current value of the signal mask is nevertheless returned in oldset (if it is not NULL). The use of sigprocmask() is unspecified in a multithreaded process; see pthread_sigmask(3). RETURN VALUE
sigprocmask() returns 0 on success and -1 on error. ERRORS
EINVAL The value specified in how was invalid. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
It is not possible to block SIGKILL or SIGSTOP. Attempts to do so are silently ignored. Each of the threads in a process has its own signal mask. A child created via fork(2) inherits a copy of its parent's signal mask; the signal mask is preserved across execve(2). If SIGBUS, SIGFPE, SIGILL, or SIGSEGV are generated while they are blocked, the result is undefined, unless the signal was generated by kill(2), sigqueue(2), or raise(3). See sigsetops(3) for details on manipulating signal sets. SEE ALSO
kill(2), pause(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), sigpending(2), sigqueue(2), sigsuspend(2), pthread_sigmask(3), sigsetops(3), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-10-17 SIGPROCMASK(2)