Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check if another instance of the process is running Post 76457 by vino on Tuesday 28th of June 2005 11:35:25 AM
Old 06-28-2005
Create lock a lock file as follows in your script2.

Code:
[ ! -f lockfile ] && >lockfile || exit 1

This will check whether the files exists or not and then creates a lock file or else fail.

Vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check process running

I have this script: ------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh # if ] || ] then echo "Executing main_load.sh script" /usr1/psc_load/jobs/cron/main_load.sh "ods" else echo "File not found, do nothing" fi exit 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rose1207
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check if process is running

How do I make a shell script to see if a certain process is running. The process shows up on ps aux as /usr/sbin/daemon eg: if /usr/sbin/daemon else #nothin basically i want to run the process if it isnt running/ has been stopped. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daydreamer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if Process is running

Hi , I have a csh code below which check the process if it's running. Can any expert advise me on the following: 1) what does this notationmean ">!" and how is it different from the append ">" notation ? 2) how does "setenv" work in this code ? # Check whether there is a running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to check if process is running?

Hi I would like to check if an instance of a script is already running. I've seen many different examples, but I haven't the slightest idea as to how to do this. Can you please help. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
5 Replies

5. Programming

How do I check if a process is running in C

How to I check if a process is running in C? I'm trying to use ps aux |grep "process name" but failing in doing that. How do I do that? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cprogdude
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to check if the process is running

Hi, I check if the process is running or not using the below. /usr/ucb/ps auxww | grep 109 |grep rmi | awk '{print $2}' 9718 Thus we see 9718 is the PID. It return blank if the process is not running. I need to perform some action if the process is not running and leave it if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How a process can check if a particular process is running on different machine?

I have process1 running on one machine and generating some log file. Now another process which can be launched on any machine wants to know if process1 is running or not and also in case it is running it wants to stream the logs file generated by process1 on terminal from which process2 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhnsit2001
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process Instance not running properly.

I have run 10 instances of the process eg, process name is BG nohup /WP01IRB1_irbapp/IRBWPROD/RB/bin/BG -c 1 -t 23 -a '-caTop TESTBILLCYCLE='5FEB13_81PT19NPT''>a.txt & nohup /WP01IRB1_irbapp/IRBWPROD/RB/bin/BG -c 2 -t 23 -a '-caTop TESTBILLCYCLE='5FEB13_81PT19NPT''>b.txt & nohup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitknit
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check a single process instance is always running?

Hi, I want to write one program in C in Unix OS which will check the running status of a process time to time. If the process is stopped somehow by any means, it will ensure that the process is restarted and only one copy of the process image should run in memory at any point of time for the user.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check same process running 10 times?

At run time Without knowing job name how to check the job running in specific user "ABCD" ,If the running job duplicate more then 10 then script it self send alert message to the users with the process ID name so that will kill the processed to avoid hung issue ,tried below script please check and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
15 Replies
lockfile-progs(1)						 Lockfile programs						 lockfile-progs(1)

NAME
lockfile-progs - command-line programs to safely lock and unlock files and mailboxes (via liblockfile). SYNOPSIS
mail-lock [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] mail-unlock mail-touchlock [--oneshot] lockfile-create [--use-pid] [--retry retry-count] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-remove [--lock-name] filename lockfile-touch [--oneshot] [--lock-name] filename lockfile-check [--use-pid] [--lock-name] filename DESCRIPTION
Lockfile-progs provides a set a programs that can be used to lock and unlock mailboxes and files safely (via liblockfile): mail-lock - lock the current user's mailbox mail-unlock - unlock the current user's mailbox mail-touchlock - touch the lock on the current user's mailbox lockfile-create - lock a given file lockfile-remove - remove the lock on a given file lockfile-touch - touch the lock on a given file lockfile-check - check the lock on a given file By default, the filename argument refers to the name of the file to be locked, and the name of the lockfile will be filename .lock. How- ever, if the --lock-name argument is specified, then filename will be taken as the name of the lockfile itself. Each of the mail locking commands attempts to lock /var/spool/mail/<user>, where <user> is the name associated with the effective user ID, as determined by via geteuid(2). Once a file is locked, the lock must be touched at least once every five minutes or the lock will be considered stale, and subsequent lock attempts will succeed. Also see the --use-pid option and the lockfile_create(3) manpage. The lockfile-check command tests whether or not a valid lock already exists. OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Suppress any output. Success or failure will only be indicated by the exit status. -v, --verbose Enable diagnostic output. -l, --lock-name Do not append .lock to the filename. This option applies to lockfile-create, lockfile-remove, lockfile-touch, or lockfile-check. -p, --use-pid Write the current process id (PID) to the lockfile whenever a lockfile is created, and use that pid when checking a lock's validity. See the lockfile_create(3) manpage for more information. This option applies to lockfile-create, lockfile-remove, lockfile-touch, and lockfile-check. -o, --oneshot Touch the lock and exit immediately. This option applies to lockfile-touch and mail-touchlock. When not provided, these commands will run forever, touching the lock once every minute until killed. -r retry-count, --retry retry-count Try to lock filename retry-count times before giving up. Each attempt will be delayed a bit longer than the last (in 5 second incre- ments) until reaching a maximum delay of one minute between retries. If retry-count is unspecified, the default is 9 which will give up after 180 seconds (3 minutes) if all 9 lock attempts fail. EXAMPLES
Locking a file during a lengthy process: lockfile-create /some/file lockfile-touch /some/file & # Save the PID of the lockfile-touch process BADGER="$!" do-something-important-with /some/file kill "${BADGER}" lockfile-remove /some/file EXIT STATUS
0 For lockfile-check this indicates that a valid lock exists, otherwise it just indicates successful program execution. Not 0 For lockfile-check a non-zero exit status indicates that the specified lock does not exist or is not valid. For other programs it indicates that some problem was encountered. SEE ALSO
maillock(3) touchlock(3) mailunlock(3) lockfile_create(3) lockfile_remove(3) lockfile_touch(3) lockfile_check(3) AUTHOR
Written by Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> 0.1.12 2008-02-10 lockfile-progs(1)