Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check if another instance of the process is running Post 76399 by sim on Tuesday 28th of June 2005 07:22:22 AM
Old 06-28-2005
How to check if another instance of the process is running

Hi,

I am writing a shell script to invoke a C++ program. Before I start the C++ program (oi7loadbalancer), I am checking if the process is already running. I start the process only if it is not already running. I have the following check in my script.

proccount=`ps -f -u $USER_NAME | grep "oi7loadbalancer" | grep -v "grep" | wc -l`

If proccount is equal to zero, i will start the process and otherwise not. It is working fine in most cases. But in some cases, when multiple instances of the script are invoked, they do the checking at the same time and both the scripts call the C++ program.

I want to prevent this. Please help me.

I also tried to add a sleep of 2 seconds before this check. But that also did not help. Can i use $RANDOM value as parameter to the sleep command? will this $RANDOM also return the same number to both the instances of the script, when invoked at exactly the same time? Also, i want the sleep time to be a random number between 0 and 5. how can i do this.

Thanks in advance.
Sim

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check process running

I have this script: ------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh # if ] || ] then echo "Executing main_load.sh script" /usr1/psc_load/jobs/cron/main_load.sh "ods" else echo "File not found, do nothing" fi exit 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rose1207
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check if process is running

How do I make a shell script to see if a certain process is running. The process shows up on ps aux as /usr/sbin/daemon eg: if /usr/sbin/daemon else #nothin basically i want to run the process if it isnt running/ has been stopped. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daydreamer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if Process is running

Hi , I have a csh code below which check the process if it's running. Can any expert advise me on the following: 1) what does this notationmean ">!" and how is it different from the append ">" notation ? 2) how does "setenv" work in this code ? # Check whether there is a running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to check if process is running?

Hi I would like to check if an instance of a script is already running. I've seen many different examples, but I haven't the slightest idea as to how to do this. Can you please help. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
5 Replies

5. Programming

How do I check if a process is running in C

How to I check if a process is running in C? I'm trying to use ps aux |grep "process name" but failing in doing that. How do I do that? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cprogdude
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to check if the process is running

Hi, I check if the process is running or not using the below. /usr/ucb/ps auxww | grep 109 |grep rmi | awk '{print $2}' 9718 Thus we see 9718 is the PID. It return blank if the process is not running. I need to perform some action if the process is not running and leave it if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How a process can check if a particular process is running on different machine?

I have process1 running on one machine and generating some log file. Now another process which can be launched on any machine wants to know if process1 is running or not and also in case it is running it wants to stream the logs file generated by process1 on terminal from which process2 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhnsit2001
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process Instance not running properly.

I have run 10 instances of the process eg, process name is BG nohup /WP01IRB1_irbapp/IRBWPROD/RB/bin/BG -c 1 -t 23 -a '-caTop TESTBILLCYCLE='5FEB13_81PT19NPT''>a.txt & nohup /WP01IRB1_irbapp/IRBWPROD/RB/bin/BG -c 2 -t 23 -a '-caTop TESTBILLCYCLE='5FEB13_81PT19NPT''>b.txt & nohup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitknit
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check a single process instance is always running?

Hi, I want to write one program in C in Unix OS which will check the running status of a process time to time. If the process is stopped somehow by any means, it will ensure that the process is restarted and only one copy of the process image should run in memory at any point of time for the user.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check same process running 10 times?

At run time Without knowing job name how to check the job running in specific user "ABCD" ,If the running job duplicate more then 10 then script it self send alert message to the users with the process ID name so that will kill the processed to avoid hung issue ,tried below script please check and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
15 Replies
sleep(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  sleep(3)

Name
       sleep - suspend execution for interval

Syntax
       unsigned
       sleep(seconds)
       unsigned seconds;

Description
       The  current process is suspended from execution for the number of seconds specified by the argument.  The actual suspension time may be up
       to 1 second less than that requested, because scheduled wakeups occur at fixed 1-second intervals, and an arbitrary amount  longer  because
       of other activity in the system.

The  routine  is  implemented  by  setting  an  interval  timer and pausing until it occurs.  The previous state of this timer is saved and
       restored.  If the sleep time exceeds the time to the expiration of the previous timer, the process sleeps only until the signal would  have
       occurred, and the signal is sent 1 second later.

Return Values
       The  value  returned by is the unslept amount(the requested time minus the time actually slept). This return value may be non-zero in cases
       where the caller had an alarm set to go off earlier than the end of the requested time, or where was interrupted due to a caught signal(see
       ENVIRONMENT below).

Environment
       POSIX
       SYSTEM_FIVE
       When  your  program  is compiled in POSIX or System V mode, the will be terminated by any caught signal. The function will return following
       execution of the signal's catching routine.

See Also
       setitimer(2), sigpause(2)

sleep(3)