Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Log-Off a user
Operating Systems AIX Log-Off a user Post 76212 by DogDay on Sunday 26th of June 2005 01:06:52 PM
Old 06-26-2005
You want to logoff the user 'john'.
Code:
# w
  11:57AM   up 46 days,  18:02,  2 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.06, 1.06
User     tty          login@       idle      JCPU      PCPU what
john  pts/0       12:40PM       4:38         0         0 rlogin
bob   pts/1       11:57AM          0         0         0 /usr/bin/w64

You must kill the process of his shell. Every user logs into some kind of shell. In the below example john's shell is seen as '-ksh'. That is the process you need to kill.

Code:
# ps -ef|grep john
 john 290912 385216   0 12:40:44  pts/0  0:00 rlogin somenode
 john 323806 569424   0 12:40:35  pts/0  0:00 -ksh

We see the process id, or PID, is 323806. We pass that number to the 'kill' command with a signal of '-9' or TERMINATE.

Code:
# kill -9 323806

And he should be gone. Also consider the fact that whatever they are working on when you do this is lost if they have not saved their work.

I recommend you get your system admin to do this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

log user off from c prog

ok, heres what i want i need....well want, hehe... in a program, its a simple menu, i need to log the user running the program off...back to the login prompt. this is not a super user, just a normal account. i know i could just set the program to be the users login shell..but i'd rather do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acromi
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User log in info

Hi, I am using SunOS and HP-UX. I am trying to removed user that has not been using the system for a period of time. Is there anyway to find out how long since the last time the user logged on. I know there is command "last" that read from the file /etc/wtmp that hold some of information. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User logging log

Hi, Does anybody knows is there a way or how to records user logging record? thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

log out user in script

Hi, I have a script giving option to allow user who run the script log out the server. I used 'exit' when user chose this option. But it didn't work the way I wanted. It only exit the program not the machine. I used 'logout' after 'exit'. Still not working. Anyone has some ideas? Thanks!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt User Log

How can I identify usernames on UNIX, when these users don't access the server, they access folders on this server. Is it possible? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DyDyLc
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP - New user who cant log on

Hi, Please could you tell me how I can create a new user account on HP-UX who can only sign-on from the console ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catheram
4 Replies

7. Solaris

New user can not log in

Recently I created new user because I don not wont to use root account as default but when I want to login I can choose Java desktop and after few seconds , system returns me back to login screnn , only root account woks fine (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

User last log

I need know when user was loged last time? So when my user log in his account he will see welcom message: Hello username. Today is: date. Last time You loged on : date. I tried to use comand lastlog -u username but it shows me time from few seconds ago. I need logging one before. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Budrys
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tried to change user name, now cannot log in

I have been trying to change my user name and machine name, however now I cannot log in and I am directed as guest. Is there a way to resolve this problem? (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
33 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies
XSYSINFO(1x)							 Debian GNU/Linux						      XSYSINFO(1x)

NAME
xsysinfo - Display Linux kernel parameters in graphical form SYNOPSIS
xsysinfo [-help] [-update n] [-[no]title] [-[no]labels] [-[no]loadavg] [-[no]load] [-[no]mem] [-[no]swap] [-[no]smp] DESCRIPTION
Xsysinfo is an X application to display some Linux kernel parameters in graphical form. It is like a mix of top, free and xload with the difference that the values are shown in form of a horizontal bar. The displayed values are: CPU load average, CPU load, memory and swap sizes (details see below). OPTIONS
-update n Set update rate to n milli-seconds -title Show title string -notitle Don't show title string -labels Show gauge labels -nolabels Don't show gauge labels -loadavg Show CPU load average value -noloadavg Don't show CPU load average value -load Show CPU load value -noload Don't show CPU load value -smp Show separate SMP loads -nosmp Don't show separate SMP loads. -mem Show memory info -nomem Don't show memory info -swap Show swap info -noswap Don't show swap info -help Display options DISPLAY
Xsysinfo display the following values: CPU load average CPU load average between 0.000-8.000. The gauge's bar is subdivided into segments, where one segment represents a load value of 1.0. The bar's full length is automatically scaled, depending on the displayed value. CPU load percentage CPU load time to CPU idle time subdivided in three segments: user load, system load and nice load. On an SMP system the -smp option replaces the single total load meter with a separate meter for each processor. Memory The memory gauge's bar is subdivided into two segments with the amount of physical memory, which is used by processes on the left and physical memory used for the page and buffer cache on the right. The length of the whole bar, which is the sum of these two val- ues, shows the amount of physical memory currently used by the system. Swap The percentage of swap space used by the system to total amount of swap space. AUTHORS
Xsyinfo is written by Gabor Herr <herr@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de> and currently maintained by Ronald Wahl <ronald.wahl@informatik.tu- chemnitz.de>. This manual page was created by Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Debian Project December 2005 XSYSINFO(1x)