Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: determining open ports
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users determining open ports Post 76175 by zazzybob on Saturday 25th of June 2005 09:47:05 AM
Old 06-25-2005
As far as checking ports and their usage, netstat and lsof (which you may need to d/l, compile and install if not present) are the commands for you.

netstat -an | grep "\.389.*LISTEN"

Will show you if LDAP is Listening, for example.

You can refine the grep to extract the exact results you want.

Cheers
ZB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

closing open ports

/* Linux Slackware */ Nmap shows the following ports open on the gateway. 21/tcp ftp 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet 25/tcp smtp 37/tcp time 80/tcp http 113/tcp auth 515/tcp printer 587/tcp submission 1024/tcp kdm 6000/tcp x11 ------------------------------- i would like to close as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
10 Replies

2. Linux

How To Open Ports in RedHat ?

how can i open ports i need in red hat server vs root access ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sirius
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check open ports every ...

Hello, i need a script (bash type maybe?..), which would check open ports on 127.0.0.1 and then compare open ports with "registered/allowed" port list and try to kill the program who uses unregistered ports. It would be great that script would be started lets say every 5 or 10 minutes. You see i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MorchiuS
2 Replies

4. AIX

Open Ports on System

Hi Every body, What is the command on AIX 5.2 that can be used to get all open ports? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
2 Replies

5. Solaris

open ports solaris 8

Hello, I have a number of Solaris 8 Sun servers that have open ports that I cannot identify. I see some with 1013-1023 (which are reserved ports according to the IANA. Lsof does not identify these. I rebooted the server and they went off, but this morning I saw they were all back on again. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Help determining what's blocking ports

I'm fairly new to networking and am trying to figure our network out, as I was recently assigned to be network administrator where I work. I was trying to get utorrent to work but am not having success in figuring out what's blocking my ports. As of now, I'm getting connected from a mikrotik... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandonros
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Open ports in solaris 10

hi guys, may i know the exact steps to open a port in solaris.i have some rough idea - which is adding the port number in /etc/services. but i am not sure the correct conventions, steps or any other steps. kindly advise.thanks guys ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open ports and services

just a quick question: a. whats the simplest command to check open port and the corresponding services? example: bash-2.05# netstat -an | grep LISTEN *.199 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN *.8989 *.* 0 0 49152 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Open/close of ports

Hi, I have read some forum theads about the open and close ports. some points are clear and it is not working on my machine or something am i missing? I have commented out a port /etc/services, one application uses then when i use the telnet <hostname> <port_blocked> it shows connected..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balamv
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)