Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers terminal emulation displaying in machine language Post 75983 by Debbie on Thursday 23rd of June 2005 05:15:24 PM
Old 06-23-2005
Data terminal emulation displaying in machine language

I entered the command cat 401328 in an attempt to see a file. Now, my screen is displaying machine language. The properties of the file say that it is a postgres application. Is there a command I can enter so everything gets back to normal?

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Terminal Emulation

Hi , I am working on SCO Unix who needs to know some basics concepts about how to write a program that will capture the input , output of one terminal to another ie whatever is being typed as input or echoed as output to terminal say tty02 shall be automatically be falshed to another terminal say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal Emulation

Hello all, Am new to the forum and hope this post meets the requirements. This post will be rather lengtly but needs to be to explain the problem. I have two computers running Windows 2000 Pro. I travel for a living and use a terminal emulation program called STEP to connect to our Unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skids
2 Replies

3. BSD

ls -G in terminal emulation

Hi ! As everyone, i installed my system and started "personalizing" it. One of the adjustments was creating an alias in /etc/profile fo ls, so when I type ls it is running ls -G so i can see a colored output. Everything is ok, but after I configured my system to start in X by default (kdm as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
2 Replies

4. SCO

Help: Terminal Emulation for SCO Unix...

Question from a newbie: We are running SCO Unix, and are using Century Software Windows Terminal Emulation “Term for Windows” for Win95 v6.3.9b. It used to work fine when we had Win98 on our machines, but now we are updating them with Win2000/XP. This WinTerm works fine on some machines, which... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fasal
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences between Telnet and Terminal Emulation?

HI , I am little confused about differences between Telnet and Terminal Emulation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

6. AIX

Terminal Emulation- AIX Server- Best Practices

Greetings. We share one AIX server with about 100 users over 4 hub sites via Procomm Plus. Users dvelop bad habits and exit straight out of the terminal window vice correctly logging out of their application session on the server. Sometimes we have to go into the server and terminate their session... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pconfig
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Terminal Emulation Issue

I am having issues with installation of Sterling-Gentran:Server for UNIX 6.1. The issue within the secadmin setup. I can get into the Security Admin Setup Screens and can navigate within but cannot reply to a popup screen (the software is asking me to confirm "YES" or "NO" and none of the keys on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakbob817
6 Replies

8. Programming

printer link to terminal emulation

have the following lines in .bash_profile. "ln-s /dev/ttyp0 /dev/lpw10" and ln -s /dev/ttyp0 /dev/lpc10" this allows a terminal emulation running on xp to print locally. I would like to capture the print file and store the output in a directory. Any ideas as to how to capture the print output?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: petercp
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal emulation settings help rlogin AIX to SCO

I use a program called TinyTerm to access our AIX machine. It works fine except for when I rlogin into our SCO unix server. Backspace doesn't delete, ctrl-c doesn't work (delete key does same thing), and the most annoying thing is vi acts very wierd. I have to press the down arrow like 3 times to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal emulation OSX Vs. Solaris 11

I am using Terminal on an OSX system to access and edit crontab files on a 'headless' Solaris 11 server. Crontab -e on OSX invokes vi as the editor, which is fine, but I am getting unexpected characters on keystrokes and have to abort the edit. If this is an emulation issue, would someone please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
1 Replies
TN3270(1)						      General Commands Manual							 TN3270(1)

NAME
tn3270 - full-screen remote login to IBM VM/CMS SYNOPSIS
tn3270 sysname DESCRIPTION
Tn3270 permits a full-screen, full-duplex connection from a VAX UNIX machine to an IBM machine running VM/CMS giving the appearance of being logged in directly to the remote machine on an IBM 3270 terminal. Of course you must have an account on the machine to which you wish to connect in order to log in. Tn3270 looks to the user in many respects like the Yale ASCII Terminal Communication System II. Tn3270 is actually a modification of the Arpanet TELNET user interface (see telnet(1)) that interprets and generates raw 3270 control streams. Emulation of the 3270 terminal is done in the Unix process. This emulation involves mapping 3270-style commands from the host into appro- priate sequences to control the user's terminal screen. Tn3270 uses curses(3x) and the /etc/termcap file to do this. The emulation also involves simulating the special 3270 keyboard keys (program function keys, etc.) by mapping sequences of keystrokes from the ASCII key- board into appropriate 3270 control strings. This mapping is terminal dependent and is specified in a description file, /usr/share/misc/map3270, (see map3270(5)) or in an environment variable MAP3270 (see mset(1)). Any special function keys on the ASCII key- board are used whenever possible. If an entry for the user's terminal is not found, tn3270 looks for an entry for the terminal type unknown. If this is not found, tn3270 uses a default keyboard mapping (see map3270(5)). The first character of each special keyboard mapping sequence is either an ASCII escape (ESC), a control character, or an ASCII delete (DEL). If the user types an unrecognized function key sequence, tn3270 sends an ASCII bell (BEL), or a visual bell if defined in the user's termcap entry, to the user's terminal and nothing is sent to the IBM host. If tn3270 is invoked without specifying a remote host system name, it enters local command mode, indicated by the prompt ``tn3270>''. In this mode, tn3270 accepts and executes the following commands: open connect to a remote host close close the current connection quit exit tn3270 z suspend tn3270 status print connection status ? print help information Other common telnet commands are not available in tn3270. Tn3270 command mode may also be entered, after connecting to a host, by typing a special escape character (typically control-C). While in command mode, any host login session is still alive but temporarily suspended. The host login session may be resumed by entering an empty line (press the RETURN key) in response to the command prompt. A session may be terminated by logging off the foreign host, or by typing ``quit'' or ``close'' while in local command mode. FILES
/etc/termcap /usr/share/misc/map3270 AUTHOR
Greg Minshall SEE ALSO
mset(1), telnet(1), termcap(3x), termcap(5), map3270(5), Yale ASCII Terminal Communication System II Program Description/Operator's Manual (IBM SB30-1911) BUGS
Performance is slow and uses system resources prodigiously. Not all 3270 functions are supported, nor all Yale enhancements. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution November 27, 1996 TN3270(1)