Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop through files in a directory Post 75981 by rladda on Thursday 23rd of June 2005 05:02:35 PM
Old 06-23-2005
Loop through files in a directory

Hi,
I want to write bash script that will keep on looking for files in a directory and if any file exists, it processes them. I want it to be a background process, which keeps looking for files in a directory.
Is there any way to do that in bash script?
I can loop through all the files like this:
for i in `ls -1 \dirname\*`
do
done
I can make it an endless loop llike this while [ true ]
do
done
Thanks for all you help.
R

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop certain code to all files within directory

Hi all, Can somebody help me with this problem pls. I need to extract one specific line from each files in a folder and put the all lines extracted in a unique output file in the following format. line extracted, respective name of file, date of file. I´m, trying the part to extract... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through files in directory

hi all i have some files present in a directory i want to loop through all the files in the directory each time i loop i should change the in_file parameter in the control file and load it into a table using sql loader there is only one table where i have to load alll the files ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_tns
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest directory and loop through the files and pick the error messages

Hi, I am new to unix and shell scripting,can anybody help me in sctipting a requirement. my requirement is to get the latest directory the name of the directory will be like CSB.monthdate_time stamp like CSB.Sep29_11:16 and CSB.Oct01_16:21. i need to pick the latest directory. in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_83k
15 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Copy all files in 1 directory to another usinge for-in loop

I was looking to get some help with copying files in one directory to another using a for-in loop. My script file is called copyfile and here is what I have: for file in $(ls -a $1) do cp $file ~/dir-2 done When I run copyfile dir-1 this is what I get cp: omitting directory `.'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Writing a loop to changing the names of files in a directory

Hi, I would like to write a loop to change the names of files in a directory. The files are called data1.txt through data1000.txt. I'd like to change their names to a1.txt through a1000.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in a directory

Hello How do I loop through files in a specific directory ? This script is not working! #! /bin/bash FILES=/usr/desktop/input/* For f in $FILES; do awk '-v A="$a" -v B="$b" {$6=($1-64)/2 ;$7=((10^($6/10))/A)^(1/B) ; print}' OFS="\t" $f > /root/Desktop/output/$f.txt; done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in directory

I am trying to loop through files in a directory, and sort each file. No matter what changes I make to the code, I get the following errors: 'aunch.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `do 'aunch.sh: line 4: `for f in ${FILES}/*; do #!/bin/bash FILES=$(pwd) for f in ${FILES}/*;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldorsey
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in directory

I am trying to loop through files in a directory, and sort each file. No matter what changes I make to the code, I get the following errors: 'aunch.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `do 'aunch.sh: line 4: `for f in ${FILES}/*; do #!/bin/bash FILES=$(pwd) for f in ${FILES}/*;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldorsey
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude some files from the loop on the directory?

I have one question. On the directory I have many files start with DB.DAILYxxxxxxx.YYYYMMDD.HHMMSS and I have several files with other format, like LET.20170310 daily.20170310 tba.20170310 How can I exclude from my loop DB.DAILY files? I tried ls *20170310* | while read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)