Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search files for a string in the remote machine Post 74924 by a_rivu on Tuesday 14th of June 2005 11:48:36 AM
Old 06-14-2005
Search files for a string in the remote machine

Hi all,
I want to search the files in a remote machine for a particular string. The SSH command I wrote is giving an error even when the syntax is correct.
ssh user@hostmachine find . -name "*.txt" -exec grep "ARIVU" '{}' \;
The error it gives is find: missing argument to `-exec'

When the following command is executed on a local machine, it is working fine
find . -name "*.txt" -exec grep "ARIVU" '{}' \;

Please let me know where I'm wrong....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for files in Remote Machine

hi all, i would like to how to perform remote search on a tandem machine from solaris box. I have the userid and password to log in. But the directory, file structures, naming conventions are different. now how to search for a particular pattern of files say, <user1><date>.log files in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change files permission on Remote machine

I would like to change permissions recursively on a remote folder. Seems like sftp has a limitation, I am only able to change permission on a individual file.. sftp > chmod 777 /usr/local/apache/docs/test.txt It would be great if someone has more knowledge on how this is doable recursively? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: almeisan1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the Best way to search files for a string??

I'm looking to seach all the files in a directory and sub-directories looking for a string. When the string is found, I want to display the filename and the entire line of that file that the string was found on. what is the best way to do this ?? I've been playing around with awk, find, and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: 35Soinc
15 Replies

4. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete multiple files in remote machine

Requirement Several files in remote machines ought to be deleted via sh. Name of the files to be deleted are know Approach 1) script was written with ftp (requires credential) and delete command. File names were passed as array(iterated via for loop-with ftp+delete commands enclosed within... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkalya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with search string between two files

Hi, Basically i want to search for a string in file two based on the input file one and if it matches get the nextline and print the value of the field name. cat one abc xyz defcat two <src> <name="path/to/abc" test="value_version"> <new name="Y2" > </src> <src> <name="path/to/xyz"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP While transfering files to local machine to remote machine

Hi Am using unix Ksh Am getting the problem while transferring zero size files through the script . When i transfer zero size files from local machine to remote machine manually i can able to do it . My question its beause of zero size files am not able to transfer through script ? or its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

iptables applied in local machine, can't ssh remote machine after chain changed to DROP

I want to SSH to 192.168.1.15 Server from my machine, my ip was 192.168.1.99 Source Destination was UP, with IP 192.168.1.15. This is LAN Network there are 30 Machine's Connected to the network and working fine, I'm Playing around the local machine's because I need to apply the same rules in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with fetching the data from remote machine from my jumpbox(local machine)

Team, Presently i am running a script from my local box(i.e jumpbox) to all the remote machines.Basically fetching basic queries like pwd,mkdir,touch etc and i am able to successfully fetch it from my local machine.But when i want to check certain database related queries like the dbstat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
20 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project