Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to do core dump analysis
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to do core dump analysis Post 73567 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 2nd of June 2005 04:05:01 PM
Old 06-02-2005
You're asking a lot.

Basically, you use a debugger. Since you did not specify an OS I'll assume you have
gdb. You must have compiled the file
Code:
gcc -g -o myfile myfile.c

in order for symbols to be available. If you are analyzing a core dump of somebody else's code you are in trouble.

The core dump file is called core
Code:
gdb myfile core

This will show you a backtrace (stack dump) of the call tree that lead to the crash.
You will have to find using the stack dump where in the code (not in a C library) the crash occurred. In other words the last line of the program's code that actually led to the crash.

try man gdb
and
this tutorial site for gdb:

http://www.unknownroad.com/rtfm/gdbtut/gdbuse.html

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core file analysis

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone would be charitable enough to give me a quick explanation of adb usage for analyzing core files...or point me in the right direction. A search here revealed scant results and web searches are providing me with ambiguous information. Running Solaris. Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

any tool for core analysis on HP-UX?

Hi, I just wanted to know is there any tool avaliable for core analysis on hp-ux. I have heard about q4 utility. But I think it is used for analysis of system crash dump and not for core dump produced by a user process. gdb doesn't give much information unless the binary is debug-build. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Core Dump Analysis Using PStack and PMAP

Hello, I'm new to the group and this is my first post. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a core dump that I need to analyze from a Unix box and I've never done this sort of thing before. I was told to run a pmap and pstack on the core file which provided two different output files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimblebee
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to do core dump analysis in AIX?

Please tell me some methods to analyse core dump in AIX.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mythili
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Core file analysis

How can we analyze a core file and determine why it was generated on a solaris system? I know file core filename will tell us what program generated the file. But, what to do next to get more details? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

core dump analysis : __kernel_vsyscall ()

We have just enabled core dump on our RHEL5.7 OS. the java process is terminating very often so we enable core dump to analysis the issue and find below in core dump file. Core was generated by `/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_06//bin/java -server -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xmn576m -XX:+Aggre'. Program... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawankkamboj
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learn Linux Core Dump Analysis

Can any body provide me some good link to learn to create and analyze linux user mode application / kernel module core dumps? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX system dump analysis

dear all, i have p770 aix6.1 last week, the host reboot suddenly with dump. but i don't know how to analyze the dump. I posted kdb details in the attachment. please anybody help me. #>kdb vmcore.0 /unix vmcore.0 mapped from @ 700000000000000 to @ 7000001c72c0908 START ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomato00
13 Replies
Bio::Tools::Analysis::SimpleAnalysisBase(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	     Bio::Tools::Analysis::SimpleAnalysisBase(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Tools::Analysis::SimpleAnalysisBase - abstract superclass for SimpleAnalysis implementations SYNOPSIS
# not to be run directly DESCRIPTION
This class is a generic implementation of SimpleAnalysisI and should be used as a base class for specific implementations. Modules implementing SimpleAnalysisBase only need to provide specific _init(), _run() and result() methods, plus any get/set methods for parameters to the analysis program. SEE ALSO
Bio::SimpleAnalysisI, Bio::WebAgent FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to one of the Bioperl mailing lists. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHORS
Richard Adams, Richard.Adams@ed.ac.uk, Heikki Lehvaslaiho, heikki-at-bioperl-dot-org APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Usage : $job->new(...) Returns : a new analysis object, Args : none (but an implementation may choose to add arguments representing parameters for the analysis program. Each key value of must have a method implemented for it in a subclass. A seq () method is provided here as this will probably be needed by all sequence analysis programs seq Usage : $job->seq() Returns : a Bio::PrimarySeqI implementing sequence object, or void Args : None, or a Bio::PrimarySeqI implementing object analysis_name Usage : $analysis->analysis_name(); Returns : The analysis name Arguments : none analysis_spec Usage : $analysis->analysis_spec(); Returns : a hash reference to a hash of analysis parameters. See Bio::SimpleAnalysisI for a list of recommended key values. Arguments: none clear Usage : $analysis->clear(); Returns : true value on success Arguments : none Purpose : to remove raw results from a previous analysis so that an analysis can be repeated with different parameters. input_spec Usage : $analysis->input_spec(); Returns : a reference to an array of hashes of analysis parameters. See Bio::SimpleAnalysisI for a list of recommended key values. Arguments : none result_spec Usage : $analysis->result_spec(); Returns : a reference to a hashes of resultformats. See Bio::SimpleAnalysisI for a list of recommended key values. The key values can be used as parameters to the result() method, the values provide descriptions. Arguments : none perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::Tools::Analysis::SimpleAnalysisBase(3pm)