Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove spaces in a string using sed. Post 73541 by vgersh99 on Thursday 2nd of June 2005 01:36:03 PM
Old 06-02-2005
infile=`echo "$infilename" | sed 's/ //g'`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has spaces around the string, need to remove them

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the Linux world and I got a couple of shell script questions: (1) How do combine two variables and make it equal to a third variable? For example, I got a variable $A=FirstName, $B=LastName, and I want to combine the variable into one variable so when you echo the final... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey20
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank spaces in a string

can any help how to remove blank spaces in a string? STR="GOOD BYE" by removing blank spaces, the string should be GOOD,BYE thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove spaces before 1rst occurence of string

seems easy but havent found in other posts... i want to delete any spaces if found before first occurence of ${AI_RUN} sed 's/ *\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/' $HOME/temp1.dat i think i'm close but can't put my finger on it. :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra spaces from a string??

Hi, I have a string like this and i want to remove extra spaces that exists between the words. Here is the sentence. $string="The small DNA genome of hepadnaviruses is replicated by reverse transcription via an RNA intermediate. This RNA "pregenome" contains ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in the beginning of a string

Hi, I am trying to remove spaces from the beginning of a string (which i am using in my shell script). For ex - my string looks like this - " no rows selected" and i want the string to look like this - "no rows selected" How can i achieve this? Thanks! (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrutihardas
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr and sed remove spaces. how to stop this?

if the answer is obvious, sorry, I'm new here. anyway, I'm using tr to encrypt with rot-13: echo `cat $script | tr 'a-zA-Z' 'n-za-mN-ZA-M'` > $script it works, but it removes any consecutive spaces so that there is just one space between words. I've had this problem before while using sed to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trichopterus
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove newlines and spaces

Hi all, i am getting count from oracle 11g by spooling it to a file. Now there are some newline characters and blank spaces i need to remove these. pl provide me a awk/sed solution. the spooled file is attached. i tried this.. but not getting req o/p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishav
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't remove spaces with sed when calling it from sh -c

The following command works echo "some text with spaces" | sh -c 'sed -e 's/t//g''But this doesn't and should echo "some text with spaces" | sh -c 'sed -e 's/ //g''Any ideas? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
3 Replies
TTX2XGF(1)						      General Commands Manual							TTX2XGF(1)

NAME
ttx2xgf - extracts instructions from a TTX file and creates an Xgridfit program. SYNOPSIS
ttx2xgf [options] infile[.ttx] [outfile] DESCRIPTION
ttx2xgf is a utility that extracts instructions (hints) and other information relating to instructions from a TTX file (an XML representa- tion of a TrueType font) and creates a new Xgridfit program. If infile lacks the .ttx extension, it is assumed. If outfile is not given, output is written to infile.xgf. OPTIONS
--config Path to a configuration file (relative paths are permitted). If this is not given, ttx2xgf will look first for a file config.xml in the current directory, next in the user's Xgridfit configuration directory, and finally in the Xgridfit base directory. -e Display diagnostic messages (for debugging). -E, --elapsed-time Time the running of this program and display the result. --processor=libxslt|lxml|xsltproc|saxon-6|saxon-9|xalan-j|xalan-c|4xslt Select a preferred XSLT processsor; ttx2xgf will use this one if possible. FILES
/usr/share/xml/xgridfit/util/convert-ttx.xsl An XSLT script that performs the initial conversion. /usr/share/xml/xgridfit/util/convert-asm.sed A Sed script that completes the conversion. SEE ALSO
xgridfit(1), xgfconfig(1), ttx(1) AUTHOR
ttx2xgf was written by Peter Baker <psb6m@virginia.edu>. This manual page was written by Peter Baker 2009-12-18 TTX2XGF(1)