Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: deleting locked files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting locked files Post 72854 by Aussie John on Wednesday 25th of May 2005 03:53:06 AM
Old 05-25-2005
deleting locked files

I have some locked files ( locked via the Mac finder)
I have tired rm -R and rm -rdf but it doesnt delete the locked files

just says "override rw------- etc?"
type "yes" and says "operation not permitted"

is there some way to do this (or unlock the files)
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the files

Hi, I've to delete certain files older than X days from a Maintenance server. I'm doing this using find . -name lds\* -mtime $X \ -exec ls -l {} \; find . -name lds\* -mtime $X \ -exec rm -fR {} \; As well as I've to delete the files from another FTP server which are again older than X... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: livetaurean19
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Files

Hi, I have been working with files in emacs and a file showed up in my directories called #main.c# (the original file being main.c). However I cannot delete this #main.c# file. Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bc4
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df -k and deleting files

hi everybody, urgently need solutioin aftet i execute the command df -k, i get to see al the memory status blah blah if some file system has 95% full then what should i do and any help on how and what to do ? help really appriciated. cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayr111
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find locked files, print file path, unlock file

using OS X and the Terminal, I'd like to find all locked files in a specified directory, unlock them, and print a list of those files that were unlocked how can I do this? I'm familiar with chflags nouchg for unlocking one file but not familiar with unix enough to do what I'd like. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help comparing two files and deleting some things in those files!

So I have two files: File1 pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2 pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2 ref4948 1.1 treehouse.txt 1.6 ref8573 1.5 ref3284 1.4 ref5838... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
24 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have files that are locked up...

Here's the story: I had an LaCie Internet Space (1TB)... Recently the network (or software) functions of the device just died... I tried to access it via different routers, checking UTP, tried everything possible to rule out physical damage to components. Then i got the disk out of its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SentinelX
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX system.... deleting files in remote directory after retrieving files

Hi Friends, I am new to this , I am working on AIX system and my scenario is to retrive the files from remote system and remove the files from the remote system after retreving files. I can able to retrieve the files but Can't remove files in remote system. Please check my code and help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayparakala
3 Replies

8. AIX

Find all locked files

How to can find all locked files and release the locks in Unix? We have an issue were an ftp job lands files under /home/loginid at 5:30 pm and at 6 pm we run a get file on the mvs mainframe machine ftp the file from the server to the mainframe. We get an error file is in use eventhu it is not !!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

10. Proxy Server

Samba kill the locked files from a useraccount by multiple smbd pids

Details Samba server: Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Kernel version: SunOS 5.10 Generic_142909-17 Samba version: Samba version 3.5.6 Smb.conf file section Global: # smb.conf for Airbus Industries fuer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jean-Guillaume
0 Replies
setlock(8)						      System Manager's Manual							setlock(8)

NAME
setlock - runs another program with a file locked. SYNOPSIS
setlock [ -nNxX ] fn child DESCRIPTION
fn is a single argument. child consists of one or more arguments. setlock opens fn for writing (creating it if it does not exist), obtains an exclusive lock on it, and runs child. Normally the lock disappears when child exits. Here's the complete story: child is given a descriptor for a locked ofile pointing to the disk file named fn. The lock disappears when this ofile is o closed by all the processes that have descriptors for it or o explicitly unlocked. OPTIONS
-n No delay. If fn is locked by another process, setlock gives up. -N (Default.) Delay. If fn is locked by another process, setlock waits until it can obtain a new lock. -x If fn cannot be opened (or created) or locked, setlock exits zero. -X (Default.) If fn cannot be opened (or created) or locked, setlock prints an error message and exits nonzero. SEE ALSO
supervise(8), svc(8), svok(8), svstat(8), svscanboot(8), svscan(8), readproctitle(8), fghack(8), pgrphack(8), multilog(8), tai64n(8), tai64nlocal(8), setuidgid(8), envuidgid(8), envdir(8), softlimit(8) http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html setlock(8)