Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problems with rsh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problems with rsh Post 71833 by RTM on Monday 16th of May 2005 09:00:03 AM
Old 05-16-2005
First off, you need to test in a more logical way (which you may have done but it isn't posted as such).

From hp64linux20 - rsh to hp4linux21 - then ssh to 21. Show the results.
Do the same for each system.

Second, it doesn't make sense that you can ssh but not rsh and you get a "No route to host" - the route would have to be there if ssh worked.

Third, "Connection refused" means rsh isn't allowed - turned off due to security reasons - stick with ssh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh authentication problems

I am using rsh and other R commands to login to a machine. On that target machine, I set up $HOME/.rhosts file with the host/password. I also setup /etc/hosts.equiv fiel with IP address/username. I also made sure that rsh was enabled and that no firewall was running. The /etc/hosts on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsh

Hi, on .rhosts file of server2 I have : server1 user server1 root when I want to issu rsh from server1 to server2 : 1-If I'm root it is OK. 2-if I'm ordinary user I receive permission denied. What is the problem ? What is the solution ? Many thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about rsh

I have two host ( hostA and hostB ) , now hostA can use " rsh -l userB hostB " to rsh to hostB without input the password , it work fine, but if I modify it to " rsh -l userB hostB -n "ls" " , it will pop the message "Permission denied." , could suggest what is wrong ? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on rsh

hi friends, i've access to three machines mc1,mc2,mc3,on which i can log in as root. and in order to run a simple command on a remote machine(say remote) on which i cant log in,i use a command as; # rsh remote ls the above runs properly but if i do an ls on following it doesnt work # rsh mc2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxms755
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsh

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine using RSH only d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

6. AIX

Problems using rsh

Hi, I have a server which I've configured to allow an rsh trust from a csm server. However, of the 3 vlans on the target server, I can only rsh to one of them without being prompted for the password. On lpar1 $ ifconfig -a en2:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m223464
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Problems with rsh command

Hello guys, I have a script in a Linux server, from where I go to 3 Sun servers and run process. Now i have done an upgrade and increase 1 Sun server more, now i need to run the shell in the Linux Server (into the shell is rsh command), but when i try to do ir with the new Sun server, i hace the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
3 Replies

8. AIX

Rsh

How to configure rsh for different users in aix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

9. Solaris

rsh

How to enable rsh in solaris (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Rsh

Hi, I issue : rsh ****.16.0.151 -l root ls -l /tmp and I receive : connect to address ***.16.0.151: Connection refused Trying krb4 rsh... In hosts file of remote (***.16.0.151) I have : ***.16.0.202 root Can you help me ? Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies
rsh(1c) 																   rsh(1c)

Name
       rsh - remote shell

Syntax
       rsh host [-l username] [-n] command
       host [-l username] [-n] command

Description
       The  command  connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command.  The command copies its standard input to the remote com-
       mand, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error.
       Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command.  The command normally terminates when the remote command does.

The  remote  username  used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option.  This remote
       name must be equivalent, in the sense of to the originating account.  No provision is made for specifying a password with a command.

If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you are logged in on the remote host using

Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted  metacharacters  are  interpreted  on  the  remote
       machine.  Thus the command

rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile

appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while

rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile

appends remotefile to otherremotefile.

Host  names are given in the file Each host has one standard name (the first name given in the file), which is rather long and unambiguous,
       and optionally one or more nicknames.  The host names for local machines are also commands in the directory If you put  this  directory	in
       your search path then the can be omitted.

Options
       -l username	   Logs you in as the specified user, not as your user login name.

-n		   Redirects all command input to

Restrictions
       The  command  is  confused by output generated by commands in a .cshrc file on the remote host.	In particular, `where are you?' and `stty:
       Can't assign requested address' are messages which can result if output is generated by the startup file.

If you are using and put a in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it blocks even if no reads are posted by
       the remote command.  If no input is desired you should redirect the input of to using the -n option.

You cannot run an interactive command like Use

Stop signals stop the local process only.

Files
       /etc/hosts
       /usr/hosts/*

See Also
       rlogin(1c)

rsh(1c)